Talk

Advanced search

To think we shouldn't have to pay for this?

(64 Posts)
Fazackerley Fri 22-Mar-19 23:13:26

We ordered 500 litres of oil to be delivered. Paid over the phone. The company delivered 900 litres by mistake. They are chasing us for payment for the extra 400 that we didn't order. They are a local company that we know well.

AIBU to refuse to pay, at least for now??

Collaborate Sat 23-Mar-19 07:04:14

What you now have is your supply for the post-Brexit dystopian society. Just imagine how much that will fetch on the black market!

WhiteDust Sat 23-Mar-19 07:07:39

How will it affect you if you fall out with them? Will they stop delivering in future? Can you buy elsewhere?

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 07:09:36

I don't want to fall out with them. I buy a lot there (they supply animal feed).

I will try to think of it as part of my Brexit stockpile grin

ivykaty44 Sat 23-Mar-19 07:13:33

I’d ask them what measures they’ve put in place to prevent them repeating this mistake?
As it’s your mistake, explain why I should pay early, when I’ve budgeted to pay again in 4 months time, please explain why you believe I should be out of pocket for your mistake?

Give it to them in an email but ask them to explain - hand it back to them... but not the oil

celtiethree Sat 23-Mar-19 07:16:49

Laughing at the interest. What are typical business savings rates - about 1%? So 75p for the 3 months! I’d offer 75p just for their reaction grin

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 07:17:44

Laughing at the interest. What are typical business savings rates - about 1%? So 75p for the 3 months! I’d offer 75p just for their reaction grin
That's what dh said!!

ivykaty44 Sat 23-Mar-19 07:17:46

Tell them you’re storage charges are the same price as the interest they want to charge CFs

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 07:19:02

I think I'm going to actually go in and speak to them. They were so weird on the phone, as if it was my fault and I was trying to rip them off. It was annoying.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 23-Mar-19 07:55:05

Could they be struggling to keep running hence the weird reaction? Is this actually a bigger deal to them than we think? It might be good to see them face to face so you can properly assess if it's cheeky fuckery or if they are genuinely going to struggle because of it.

HelloMonday Sat 23-Mar-19 08:36:38

How do they know they delivered 900L not 500L, if they cant measure it to take it back?

RussellSprout Sat 23-Mar-19 08:53:56

Blag them that you're referring the matter to your solicitor. That usually makes people think twice.

RighteousSista Sat 23-Mar-19 10:05:51

Is it possible that it was an error and subsequent attempt at cover up by a minion and their boss doesn't know? Might be worth speaking to the owner?

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 10:17:32

They were apologetic, then tried to pin me down to a payment plan. I got quite shirty then and said this is your mistake, stop trying to involve me. I'll pay when I am ready to pay, in about 5 months. And there is no way I am paying interest and if this ever happens again I am not paying for it at all. They agreed but were defensive and shitty. I'm annoyed with them for making me feel like I'm trying to rip them off!

Justaboy Sat 23-Mar-19 15:05:29

Fazackerley that seems not that well run an outfit seeings that your a regular customer there and it was their mistake! Just how much is the extra Oil i reckon its around 200 quid that right?.

If they can't "loose" sort of, that amount for a few months then they must be in very bad straights overall!.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: