Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you got better?

(29 Posts)
TheRumor Fri 22-Mar-19 18:41:13

Not really AIBU...but posting for traffic.

I'm really struggling with my mental health lately. I'd like to know, if you've been through the same, how you got better? Or rather, how you stay well?

Sometimes it feels like I'm just sliding down no matter what I do, and I don't know how to get out of the spiral.

MereDintofPandiculation Fri 22-Mar-19 20:49:59

1) Anti depressants
2) Counselling - giving me permission to ask for help and not carry on trying to cope
3) a LONG time off work, do I was able to sit down and analyse what I spent my time on, effort in vs pleasure/satisfaction derived. I then cut out a lot of things - eg I now buy curtains rather than make them.
4) a diary, in which I wrote down each day one thing that and given me pleasure and one achievement

frankiefirstyear Fri 22-Mar-19 21:02:52

Audiobooks help me massively

PlasticPatty Fri 22-Mar-19 21:11:55

Got better by
having loads of therapy, different therapists, over a number of years. Bit by bit dealing with the issues - being heard is so important
Accepting that 'this moment, now' is all we have, all that counts
Learning 'one in the bank'. Every happy moment is a precious time that, after it has happened, is part of you. You bank it.
Following my bliss. If it makes you happy, do it.
Letting go of anything that makes me unhappy - memories, ideas, beliefs, people, things.

It took five years, after a complete breakdown which left me curled up in a ball under a duvet for a year or so. But it was worth doing.
I am happy. I am no longer depressed. I am optimistic. I want to -and intend to - enjoy the rest of my life.

Join me. It's ace.
You can do it. Slowly, slowly. Your pace, your way.

Lily715 Fri 22-Mar-19 21:57:38

"How to survive the end of the world when its in your own head" by Aaron Gillies is the best book I've ever read on mental health.
I have friends who recommend Ruby Wax's book and its on my list to read.
The guilty feminist podcast did an episode on mental health which is fantastic.
Hang in there, sometimes it takes time but things honestly do get better.
I also funded my own therapy and had to try lots of different counsellors before I found the right one for you.
Mental health services in the NHS now are extremely limited and difficult to navigate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »