Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed with my work??

(12 Posts)
StickyGlitterBall Fri 22-Mar-19 10:38:07

I have a little bit of an issue at work, and my not so ‘D’ H isn’t actually being very helpful or sympathetic about it, so I was hoping that the lovely (and not so lovely) people here would be able to offer some advice or even just a pat on the head and a ‘there there’.

Ok, so the actual issue – it’s a bit long, but I need to give some background for it to make sense.

I am employed by company A, who in turn are contracted by company B to provide resource. I work at company B’s site and have been both at that site and employed for company A for 3 years and 5 month. I work in a department that has a number of projects running at the same time, of varying sizes. Some are very small and require little to no input from me, and others are much larger and give me loads of work to do for them. Each of the projects is put into one of 3 priority bands. These are High, Medium and Low, but in each band there are multiple projects that need work doing that obviously needs to be further prioritised, this is done be me. I work alone, and have done so ever since I started. As in I am the only person in this department that does my job.

To figure it out I liaise with the project teams to find out what their project timelines are and when the actual delivery dates are, and I can order my workload to these. There is some flex, and sometimes things need to be brought higher up my to do list.

When I started I created an excel workbook, that tracks all my work, and who it’s for. When each piece is finished it is marked as done with the date it was competed. I also have the start dates against them, and any notes on why there has been a delay – for example waiting for further information from project teams. As I have so technical/engineering background, and have been doing this job a while (doing similar at a previous company – only left as I was made redundant, which is a whole other story) I can spot when information is missing, or might not be 100% correct.

And then I do the actual work. This is the bit that takes most of my time.

I also, produce a report once a month that goes to company A which details the work I have completed that month, what new work has come in and what I still have to do. This information is used by company A to compile a report for company B, which includes figures and information for all of the company A people that are working at company B.

Less than 2 weeks ago, someone new started at company B, they are also employed by company A, and started with them 2 weeks ago as well. They were employed to lead a small team, which has nothing to do with the work I do. Last Friday, this new lead approached me, and informed me that I was being moved to come under him, and he would be taking the managing of my workload, and will tell me what I need to be working on each day/week (frequency to be decided), liaising with the project teams ( I will now need to take any questions to the project teams to him, and he will speak to the teams and feedback the answers to me) and the reporting.

The first I knew about all this was when this guy approached me last week, and I am actually really upset by it all. In the whole time I have been here, I have never had any negative feedback on my work or how I manage it. I have only had praise from the project teams that I work with. I really feel like walking out and not coming back, but I know that’s a bit of a melodramatic reaction, and slightly childish.

I really don’t know what to do!
Can they do this to me?
Should I just suck it up and go backwards?
Should I start looking for a new job?

Wow!! That was long!! Hopefully it all made sense. Apologies for being a bit vague in places. Am actually at work right now, so further apologies if I am not so quick to reply to questions.

star for those that made it through my epic!

TIA

Jellyfloodagain Fri 22-Mar-19 10:40:38

Have you spoken to company A?

tealandteal Fri 22-Mar-19 10:44:39

Has anyone from company 8 confirmed this? Someone got a new job at my work, and in the midst of a casual conversation dropped in that they'd be working on x project with me and taking over y projects. They are not in my team so I just smiled and nodded then asked my manager at the first instance. Manager immediately said no way, that person clearly has the wrong end of the stick. All cleared up, although I imagine someone had to have an awkward conversation with that person.

PerpendicularVincent Fri 22-Mar-19 10:46:08

I'd be pretty unhappy about that too tbh. Who do you normally report to, and could you speak to them to clarify?

Gizlotsmum Fri 22-Mar-19 10:46:43

So has this officially come from any one other than this person? I would be double checking he had it right.

NWQM Fri 22-Mar-19 10:48:04

Has anything else about your terms and conditions changed? Has your new line manager asked for your processes to change or is he just providing oversight in the same way that the previous one did?

GetOffTheRoof Fri 22-Mar-19 10:54:15

Is this claim even true? Had it been verified by someone with the appropriate authority or is he full of shit?

StickyGlitterBall Fri 22-Mar-19 10:57:27

I have spoken to my manager at company A, who said he would speak to company B to see what they have told the new guy, but he did confirm that I would be coming under the new guys team now. Unfortunately my manager at company A is quite young and inexperienced so am worried he wont back me up as much at the previous one would.
The new guy is in the process of changing the way pretty much everything in his current team is done, or at least trying to, and has upset all of the members of that team. I haven't really had anyone above me apart from the department head previously. My manager at company A, doenst get involved with what I do, in fact he doesnt fully understand it.

StickyGlitterBall Fri 22-Mar-19 11:03:15

Oh, am waiting for the department head at company B to get back to me to clarify whats going on.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Fri 22-Mar-19 11:08:05

YANBU OP I’d be upset with that too.

I’m trying to not get wound up work at the moment, I was moved in a reshuffle and my new boss is an over the shoulder micro manager. It’s tiring. Like you I’ve been doing this job for a long time with no issue.

Tilikum Fri 22-Mar-19 17:58:18

Wow, I wouldn't be happy about that at all either. Did nobody from either Company A or B mention to you that you suddenly needed a boss? It's quite underhand of them not to communicate something as important as that.

How do you feel about your job now? Maybe this would be a good time to polish your CV and look around. Sometimes annoying bosses are fantastic for driving your career onwards wink

CCquavers Fri 22-Mar-19 18:18:31

I would have thought that who your line manager is would have been decided by A. B request work from A and you do that work at B’s site. B shouldn’t be telling A that you will have a different line manager. Why is this new person employed if he is just doing the tracking of your jobs. Don’t give him your spreadsheets let him make his own.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: