Talk

Advanced search

To ask what to buy the best cub leader ever as a gift

(15 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Fri 22-Mar-19 10:18:24

My DS is going to be moving on from Cubs to Scouts in the next month or two.

He is happy to be joining Scouts but doesn't want to leave Cubs, in the main due to their wonderful Cub leader.

I can not sing the praises of this women high enough.

She helped my DS learn to deal appropriately with the other humans (as he called the other children at that time) when he first joined as 8yo with no friends at school and no idea how to make them.

She gave him confidence to try new things which were outside his comfort zone and nearly everything was outside his comfort zone at the start !

She has helped improve his attitude to not getting a perfect score in everything and winning. We are still working hard on this one, but such a big improvement in his reactions from two years ago.

She praises him for being polite and clearing tables on camps without being asked. Every camp I get a glowing report about DS and how he always does the right thing, which he does, he loves rules and likes to follow them.

I am so proud of how far he has grown up in the last two years and I know that Cubs has been such a big part of helping him mature and blossom into the young man I am so proud of today.

I am looking for the right present, to show this Cub leader how much we cherish her and everything she does for the Cubs especially for our DS.

DS will make a homemade card, there will be a bottle of wine and slab of chocolate for certain.

But I also wanted to give a small keepsake, if I can think of something she might like or am IBU and straying into teacher presents territory.

I could ask DS to make something useful for the cub hut a clock with cub logo or something.

So wise ones do I stick to homemade card, wine and chocolate or is there a small cub gift she might like/use.

Babieseverywhere Fri 22-Mar-19 12:28:46

I wonder if we could write a letter of appreciation and sent it to district Cubs or something...or would that embarrasses her.

Wolfcub Fri 22-Mar-19 12:31:46

Have a look on the scout website, they have some nice gifts for leaders.

Hippee Fri 22-Mar-19 12:32:06

I would definitely write to the District - not sure how you do it for Cubs, but have done it for our Brownie leader. Volunteers can never get enough praise (in my opinion).

GrandmaSharksDentures Fri 22-Mar-19 12:34:17

Write what you have written here, write it in a card & give it to her. It will mean the world to her.

TenThousandSpoons Fri 22-Mar-19 12:35:33

Writing what you have written here in a card for her (as well as your son writing a card) would be a lovely thing to receive. Then flowers/chocs/wine I would think.

MerQueennotMaid Fri 22-Mar-19 12:44:43

Also echoing to write what you’ve written here.

Babieseverywhere Fri 22-Mar-19 12:46:14

I will try and find the right words for me to write on a card, as it seems to be the popular answer.

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-19 12:50:03

YY to writing this in a letter to her. It will mean so much. If you wanted to give her something how about something to plant in her garden (if she has one) or even a gardening voucher so she can either find something for her place or use it to buy some stuff for a cubs project (lots of bulbs or something like that for outside the scout hut?).

InvisibleLlamaBurningCamel Fri 22-Mar-19 12:50:44

Can you get together with other parents and get lots of pics of activities together - then make a photobook on Photobox or similar? They would love that.

BiddyPop Fri 22-Mar-19 12:52:29

As a Cub leader, honestly, yes some wine to unwind would be lovely - but knowing what you have written there about seeing the differences her efforts have made to your DS, and that you have noticed and appreciated them, will be a huge reward. There is so little acknowledgement and appreciation of what the leaders do, that when you do hear it, it means a huge amount. And you obviously really appreciate your leader so please do let her know (and sending it to District or County Commissioner would be great too if you know contact details, or even just the Group Leader for the pack of Cubs and Scouts - so she can be acknowledged amongst her peers at Group Council).

seastargirl Fri 22-Mar-19 12:53:10

What about a personalised multi tool/hammer or other type of camping equipment. You could get it engraved with something so that when she's at the end of her tether on camp and uses it for something she can remember that it's all worthwhile and what a difference she makes?

Almostfifty Fri 22-Mar-19 12:55:49

Not only could you write to the District Commissioner about her, you could suggest to him/her that she is put up for an award.

This site shows the awards given in Scouting.

Aebj Fri 22-Mar-19 12:59:15

Maybe a woggle. My cub name was Chil. I was given an awesome eagle woggle.
Wine and chocolate are a bonus
Does she need anything for camping?
However I would be very grateful for only receiving a card and what you have written here. This is why leaders become leaders to hear about these stories.

Mermaidkisses Fri 22-Mar-19 13:06:01

I agree, I would write to your District Commissioner, Cub Leaders are never given enough praise for what they do. Also write everything you have written here about your son and her support of him in a card, I know when I received a similar card from a cub parent I was so thrilled, 10 years on I still have that card safely tucked away with my group scarf, woggle and wood beads. I also received a build-a-bear wearing my group scarf ... simple inexpensive but very thoughtful gifts are always hugely appreciated. I hope your son continues to thrive in Scouts, it is a great assocation!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »