Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? Has this happened to anyone else?

(70 Posts)
LargeHadronColander Fri 22-Mar-19 08:16:10

This morning pouring out my cereal, thought there was a stick in it. Poked the stick. Wasn’t a stick. It was this.
I’m going have to burn things aren’t I?
But how did it get in there?
How is it alive?
So many questions...🤢

Hihohihoitsofftoworkwego Fri 22-Mar-19 08:23:26

Ew. Was it a brand new packet of cereal or could it have crawled in after you bought it? shock

greenlynx Fri 22-Mar-19 08:24:34

is it some sort of insect? Sorry, can’t see properly.
Did you open the box today or was it open?

Drogosnextwife Fri 22-Mar-19 08:26:03

Lucky you spotted it and didn't mistake it for raisins 😂

Topseyt Fri 22-Mar-19 08:28:45

Yuck. Was the cereal already open and not rolled down properly so that it could get in?

I assume it is alive, and if so it hadn't been sealed in there?

parietal Fri 22-Mar-19 08:29:20

looks like a moth.

when I was a child, we opened the kitchen cupboard after a holiday to have 100s of tiny moths fly out. There were moths eggs in the wholemeal flour which had been in the cupboard for about 3 years, and they hatched. Apparently it was legal to sell the flour with moth eggs in because you weren't meant to keep it so long.

Topseyt Fri 22-Mar-19 08:30:06

It's a moth, isn't it? I don't think there are too many of them around in the UK in March.

LargeHadronColander Fri 22-Mar-19 08:33:41

It was a new packet yesterday but I had sealed it with one of those clippy things. I ate some cereal yesterday. 🤢 I might have eaten it’s chrysillis .🤮 It was alive.

Readytogogogo Fri 22-Mar-19 09:15:55

Presumably it's stayed alive by eating the cereal confused.

IamPickleRick Fri 22-Mar-19 09:17:34

This is horrific. I’ll have nightmares so I don’t know how you must be feeling. (Actually I do, I had a fingernail in my mouth thanks to Sainsburys own brand beans) Bin it and have a strong whiskey.

FineFanks Fri 22-Mar-19 09:48:44

OMG I think this has put me off granola for life!!

Thatsalovelycuppatea Fri 22-Mar-19 09:49:18

A good source of fibre grin

LargeHadronColander Fri 22-Mar-19 09:51:07

Just realised that yesterday I probably ate moth poop.
Can you drink dettol? Zoflora?

GruciusMalfoy Fri 22-Mar-19 09:51:54

Extra crunchy?

Pk37 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:54:49

Oh my god...
I’d literally never eat cereal again , ever !

Thurmanmurman Fri 22-Mar-19 09:56:36

Burn down your house immediately 🤣

EKGEMS Fri 22-Mar-19 09:56:55

I had a bee fly out of mine early one morning- it had flown into my house and was drawn to the sweet fragrance of the cereal-the inner packet closed the box wasn't

NewYear2018 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:57:33

A good source of protein too.

naturelover24 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:59:52

Hiya, that’s a moth and it would have just flown in afterwards. The larvae won’t feed on the cereal so it won’t have hatched in there don’t worry!

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Fri 22-Mar-19 09:59:55

When I was a kid I bit happily into a plum and ate that first mouthful without looking at the fruit. Until I went to eat the next bite and looked to see half a maggot in the plum. I'd eaten it's other half confused Still haunts me to this day.

Burn the house down OP you know it's the only way.

hibbledibble Fri 22-Mar-19 10:00:06

It sounds like you have pantry moths. I had them.

You need to dispose of any food that isn't sealed. Clean everything else with disinfectant (pref bleach) and vacuum the cupboards. Seal all foods and repeat cleaning and vacuuming until they are gone. They are persistent buggars.

DGRossetti Fri 22-Mar-19 10:05:10

Well eating insects is supposed to one way to help save the environment ... OP is clearly a trendsetter ...

norrismcwhirtersfridgemagnet Fri 22-Mar-19 10:12:39

An earwig crawled out of my recorder and into my mouth when I was 10. I didn't play the recorder again. envy

burgundyjumper Fri 22-Mar-19 10:14:18

Is that the extra protein they are adding to breakfast cereals these days?

TFBundy Fri 22-Mar-19 10:18:03

Lots of food companies (including cereal manufacturers) doing R&D on insect protein right now. Clearly that one broke out of the lab.

Do complain. You'll get flowers, a concerned email and a voucher. Which totally makes up for the fact that you need to burn down your house!

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Fri 22-Mar-19 10:18:26

Jesus Norris that's horrific earwigs are truly horrible.

TheQueef Fri 22-Mar-19 10:19:46

I'm never eating ANY cereal again I despise moths.
Sinister fuckers.

LuluJakey1 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:22:58

I don't think it is a pantry moth. It's just a moth. Not sure what the fuss is about. Either was in the cupboard or fell into the bowl. Just a moth. No one ate the poor thing. It was probably more shocked than you were.

MorningsEleven Fri 22-Mar-19 10:33:47

It was only half that size when it flew in there. I doubt it'll fly after its cereal binge.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 22-Mar-19 10:39:37

DSis found an insect in some (poncey) tea. She sent it to the manufacturer in a little matchbox to be sent a cheery letter :

"Oh its not an insect its the outer casing. Please accept these vouchers^ etc.

So the skin of the insect , which means it might still be in the tea, naked shock
I think she passed on the free tea vouchers .

Tinty Fri 22-Mar-19 10:44:24

Are you vegetarian? If not then don't worry, it's just an extra bit of protein. grin

Maybe have toast tomorrow. smile

ohmydaysagain Fri 22-Mar-19 10:46:35

It's a moth it won't have hatched in there or pooed as they don't poop I don't think, well I know butterflies don't so I assume they don't either x

cocodash Fri 22-Mar-19 10:51:56

Once i walked from car into work carrying a can of open juice. Sat down at my desk and took a nice big drink of a can of juice and then felt something wriggling in my mouth, spat juice EVERYWHERE and out came one of those flying beetle things. BLEUUGHHHH

still gives me heebiejeebies

Raffles1981 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:54:58

norrismcwhirtersfridgemagnet

An earwig crawled out of my recorder and into my mouth when I was 10. I didn't play the recorder again. envy

I nearly woke my napping toddler when I read this. Ugh!!

BigFatGiant Fri 22-Mar-19 10:56:37

Did it just fly into the box and fall out when you pored the cereal? I doubt it would have survived in the sealed up packaging.

AdvancedAvoider Fri 22-Mar-19 10:56:39

Have I missed an update on the brand of cereal. Asking for a friend me so they can avoid buying it. Moths give me the hebejeebies, they look so evil.

Mintychoc1 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:59:57

Blimey what a lot of drama about a month! It was probably sitting on the outside of the packet, and dropped in when you put the cereal in a bowl. Just put it outside.

TheNoodlesIncident Fri 22-Mar-19 11:00:49

cocodash That reminds me of the poster who left a can of cola or something like that in her living room overnight, and when she had a gulp of the drink in the morning, there was a slug in the can and it went in her mouth

<runs screaming>

AdvancedAvoider Fri 22-Mar-19 11:03:13

Noodle I now feel extremely sick. Slugs are even worse than moths 🤮

RustyBear Fri 22-Mar-19 11:14:38

When my sister & her DH were living in Indonesia, they used to have breakfast on the terrace. One morning my BIL poured himself some cereal from the packet, and a lizard fell into his bowl. Assuming it was a free toy, he just had time to think 'That's really lifelike' when it turned and looked at him. His reaction shot the cereal all over the table, but the lizard just nonchalantly climbed out of the bowl and disappeared into the shrubbery.

deydododatdodontdeydo Fri 22-Mar-19 11:16:33

I would definitely pose with a discustard compo face and the moth and cereal and send it into your local newspaper.

NannyRed Fri 22-Mar-19 11:26:05

Reminds me of the night I woke up to have a sip of water from the glass I had taken to bed with me. I felt something in my mouth, spat it out to find a moth, still alive and fluttering. Ugh! 🤢

Loyaultemelie Fri 22-Mar-19 11:28:04

Argh why did I open this thread? Moths scare the bejeezus out of me and a slug mouth is just envyenvyenvy <-boke

Tinkobell Fri 22-Mar-19 11:32:19

Years ago stayed at a house on the hills in Worcestershire. Tipped out cereal and a bloody mouse came out with it into the bowl! Thankfully didn't tip on milk and start eating 😁

longtompot Fri 22-Mar-19 11:32:23

My dh is The Finder of Things That Should Not Be In Foods here. He has had a matchstick covered in muesli, half of something in his wheetabix, possibly a fly? and he will always have the bit of tooth or bone in the mince in his portion.

cocodash Fri 22-Mar-19 11:35:24

@ThenoodlesIncident eughhhhhhhhhhhh OMG. noooo

if a slug went in my mouth i would 100% drink bleach

(on another note: why tf would you drink a can from the night before??)

billybagpuss Fri 22-Mar-19 11:45:38

Yes I think this is your chaps cousin in a bag of rocket. I boycotted Tesco for a long while after that.

FriarTuck Fri 22-Mar-19 11:46:58

An earwig crawled out of my recorder and into my mouth when I was 10. I didn't play the recorder again
I'm betting your mother put it there for a bit of peace and quiet grin

boringlyboring Fri 22-Mar-19 11:50:09

norrismcwhirtersfridgemagnet Sorry but I am crying laughing at that 😂😂😂😂😂

M3lon Fri 22-Mar-19 12:15:49

hmm I think it didn't come out of the cereal...maybe out of the box but not the cereal.

I don't think it could survive packaged in an inert gas....

The salad is slightly more plausible and the recorder doubly so.

Threewheeler1 Fri 22-Mar-19 12:17:05

No, no, no! A 'fingernail' IamPickleRick?? shockenvy
I've gone a bit floppy reading that...
Was it definitely a fingernail or could it have been a toenail????

AngeloMysterioso Fri 22-Mar-19 12:19:59

Weirdest thing I’ve ever found in my cereal was a little chunk of wood.

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Fri 22-Mar-19 12:48:30

And that there Billy is why I am all for chlorine flavoured bagged salad grin

mirime Fri 22-Mar-19 14:25:58

I found a desiccated wasp in a bag of oats once. I'd taken them to school for cookery, we were making flapjacks.

I flicked the dried up husk into the bin and carried on. Didn't tell anyone until years later.

ErrmWTAF Fri 22-Mar-19 14:34:05

Awww! A free prize in your cereal packet. That makes me all nostalgic, that does.

LargeHadronColander Fri 22-Mar-19 17:22:17

The weird thing was it was just a bag of granola not in a box, straight after I opened it yesterday I poured some and then sealed it with one of those clippy things. It definitely wasn’t in the bowl. It came out with the cereal and I poked it to see what it was.. then I swore like a sailor when it moved and emitted a very girly high pitched scream which scared the dog.

Therunecaster Fri 22-Mar-19 17:53:27

Yup. Found a family of beetles in some old cereal that had been lurking in my DHs house. Strongly suspect I had crunched some up prior to noticing they weren't rasisns shock

windysowindy Fri 22-Mar-19 18:19:54

That is just a moth that most likely flew in there in your kitchen.
I personally rather find that than toxic pesticides or mouse poo, and both those things are common, we just dont see them
Sorry 😬😬😬

FedUpParent Fri 22-Mar-19 18:53:50

I know this wasn't in food but in the spirit of insects being in the mouth...

I once woke up in the night thinking my hair was tickling/stuck to my face and there was a big hairy spider IN MY MOUTH envy (not envy)

I slapped myself in the face and it fired across the room and ran off

Horsemad Fri 22-Mar-19 19:10:45

Looks like an Early Grey or a Shears moth. 🙂

MrsTommyBanks Fri 22-Mar-19 19:13:45

FedUpParent

You utter fucker.
WHY? WHY WOULD YOU POST THAT?

I once found a deep fried slug in my chippy tea. I took it to the local health department and have their letter framed in my downstairs loo.

IamPickleRick Fri 22-Mar-19 19:16:54

Threewheeler1 proper finger nail, you could see ridges on it and the layers where it had been torn off. It was enormous as well, somewhere in the factory that packs Sainsbury’s beans, there works a giant troll missing a fingernail.

billybagpuss Fri 22-Mar-19 19:18:09

@windy the one in my bag of lettuce was definitely in there when
I bought it as it crawled out the second I opened the bag. Completely messed up dinner plans too as no way was I eating it.

Pharlapwasthebest Fri 22-Mar-19 19:20:20

I took my two ds camping, I made spaghetti bolognaise, but I had to take the sauce off to cook the pasta and put it down. On putting it back to rewarm I noticed what looked like a mushroom, but I hadn't put mushrooms in, yep, it was a slug. There was no way I was sorting out another meal on one camping burner so I picked it out while they weren't looking and didn't tell them!

Malotkins Fri 22-Mar-19 19:20:33

A colleague cut a pepper in half one day and a live moth flew out.

FedUpParent Fri 22-Mar-19 19:21:55

MrsTommyBanks

Sorry the earwig in the recorder made me bawk and thought id share my pain grin I still get shivers down my spine and retch at the thought envy

FrozenMargarita17 Fri 22-Mar-19 19:32:03

When I was a toddler I ate a moth. My mum found me with a wing hanging out.

MidnightMystery Fri 22-Mar-19 19:39:21

I trod on a slug in the dark with no socks I immediately knew what it was and bleached my foot, I can still remember the "pop"shock

Horsemad Fri 22-Mar-19 19:49:36

My DH found an owl pellet in his muesli a few years ago. 🤮 Bleurrghh!!

LargeHadronColander Fri 22-Mar-19 20:22:49

Arrrgghhh! So now I can’t eat granola, play a recorder or sleep in case a big hairy spider plays hide and seek in my mouth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »