Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? Has this happened to anyone else?

(70 Posts)
LargeHadronColander Fri 22-Mar-19 08:16:10

This morning pouring out my cereal, thought there was a stick in it. Poked the stick. Wasn’t a stick. It was this.
I’m going have to burn things aren’t I?
But how did it get in there?
How is it alive?
So many questions...🤢

Hihohihoitsofftoworkwego Fri 22-Mar-19 08:23:26

Ew. Was it a brand new packet of cereal or could it have crawled in after you bought it? shock

greenlynx Fri 22-Mar-19 08:24:34

is it some sort of insect? Sorry, can’t see properly.
Did you open the box today or was it open?

Drogosnextwife Fri 22-Mar-19 08:26:03

Lucky you spotted it and didn't mistake it for raisins 😂

Topseyt Fri 22-Mar-19 08:28:45

Yuck. Was the cereal already open and not rolled down properly so that it could get in?

I assume it is alive, and if so it hadn't been sealed in there?

parietal Fri 22-Mar-19 08:29:20

looks like a moth.

when I was a child, we opened the kitchen cupboard after a holiday to have 100s of tiny moths fly out. There were moths eggs in the wholemeal flour which had been in the cupboard for about 3 years, and they hatched. Apparently it was legal to sell the flour with moth eggs in because you weren't meant to keep it so long.

Topseyt Fri 22-Mar-19 08:30:06

It's a moth, isn't it? I don't think there are too many of them around in the UK in March.

LargeHadronColander Fri 22-Mar-19 08:33:41

It was a new packet yesterday but I had sealed it with one of those clippy things. I ate some cereal yesterday. 🤢 I might have eaten it’s chrysillis .🤮 It was alive.

Readytogogogo Fri 22-Mar-19 09:15:55

Presumably it's stayed alive by eating the cereal confused.

IamPickleRick Fri 22-Mar-19 09:17:34

This is horrific. I’ll have nightmares so I don’t know how you must be feeling. (Actually I do, I had a fingernail in my mouth thanks to Sainsburys own brand beans) Bin it and have a strong whiskey.

FineFanks Fri 22-Mar-19 09:48:44

OMG I think this has put me off granola for life!!

Thatsalovelycuppatea Fri 22-Mar-19 09:49:18

A good source of fibre grin

LargeHadronColander Fri 22-Mar-19 09:51:07

Just realised that yesterday I probably ate moth poop.
Can you drink dettol? Zoflora?

GruciusMalfoy Fri 22-Mar-19 09:51:54

Extra crunchy?

Pk37 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:54:49

Oh my god...
I’d literally never eat cereal again , ever !

Thurmanmurman Fri 22-Mar-19 09:56:36

Burn down your house immediately 🤣

EKGEMS Fri 22-Mar-19 09:56:55

I had a bee fly out of mine early one morning- it had flown into my house and was drawn to the sweet fragrance of the cereal-the inner packet closed the box wasn't

NewYear2018 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:57:33

A good source of protein too.

naturelover24 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:59:52

Hiya, that’s a moth and it would have just flown in afterwards. The larvae won’t feed on the cereal so it won’t have hatched in there don’t worry!

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Fri 22-Mar-19 09:59:55

When I was a kid I bit happily into a plum and ate that first mouthful without looking at the fruit. Until I went to eat the next bite and looked to see half a maggot in the plum. I'd eaten it's other half confused Still haunts me to this day.

Burn the house down OP you know it's the only way.

hibbledibble Fri 22-Mar-19 10:00:06

It sounds like you have pantry moths. I had them.

You need to dispose of any food that isn't sealed. Clean everything else with disinfectant (pref bleach) and vacuum the cupboards. Seal all foods and repeat cleaning and vacuuming until they are gone. They are persistent buggars.

DGRossetti Fri 22-Mar-19 10:05:10

Well eating insects is supposed to one way to help save the environment ... OP is clearly a trendsetter ...

norrismcwhirtersfridgemagnet Fri 22-Mar-19 10:12:39

An earwig crawled out of my recorder and into my mouth when I was 10. I didn't play the recorder again. envy

burgundyjumper Fri 22-Mar-19 10:14:18

Is that the extra protein they are adding to breakfast cereals these days?

TFBundy Fri 22-Mar-19 10:18:03

Lots of food companies (including cereal manufacturers) doing R&D on insect protein right now. Clearly that one broke out of the lab.

Do complain. You'll get flowers, a concerned email and a voucher. Which totally makes up for the fact that you need to burn down your house!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »