Talk

Advanced search

NDN, in hospital and cat

(30 Posts)
AnotherNightCooking Thu 21-Mar-19 22:25:34

At the beginning of this week I was working from home & heard a piercing scream.
I ran outside & found my NDN slumped in her doorway. She lives on her own & is in her 60s. She had tripped & thought she’d broken both wrists.
We have only moved in recently.
She was in agony & freezing cold. She begged me to get another neighbour to ‘drag’ her into a more comfortable position which I did.
I called an ambulance & went with her to the hospital.
9 hours later my partner picked me up. I was/am more than happy to do this for her. At the hospital I held gas & air whilst her breaks were cast. She will be in for 6 weeks due to living on her own.
Fast forward 4 days , we have phoned the ward , her phone & left messages etc but heard nothing which in cast we understand.
However I went into our corner shop only to be shown a pic of neighbour in traction.
The neighbour who originally helped me pull into the warm offered to help with her cat.
We thought we could all do 3 days each in rotation.
I let NDN know this tonight & she had a right go at me.
I’m away for 2 nights , do I let her 18yo cat fend fir herself.
I thought she’d be delighted people were rallying around her.
Now I’m just pissed off

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 22-Mar-19 09:42:33

Ask her what she would like to do about the cat. Present her with some possible options. She could invest in a Cat Mate automatic feeder that will deliver a meal a day for up to five days.

Can she really not go home, with a temporary care package? She must be very miserable and anxious. There will be all sorts of stuff from home she needs. She's going to need someone she trusts to collect it for her, perhaps that person could discreetly coordinate helpers.

I'm sure she wants to be grateful but is really stressed about strangers in her home. Tell her that atm you only go as far as the kitchen to put down food, change litter then leave. Ask her if that is enough company for the cat and would she like you to do more?

You are being very kind, don't be too upset by her reaction.

AlexaAmbidextra Fri 22-Mar-19 09:53:15

So she is angry that you won't be feeding her cat this weekend? If so, that is unfortunate for her.

Well no, it’s unfortunate for the poor bloody cat. Please arrange for another neighbour to feed it, never mind whether it’s owner approves. Don’t let it starve.

peridito Fri 22-Mar-19 10:04:38

I'm confused at who had a go at the OP .

If it's the injured neighbour in hospital I would second what's already been mentioned - if on opiods then she might be not herself .My mother was completely bonkers - paranoid she was being filmed and they were all against her.

Or she could have urinary infection - 9 hours getting treated ,broken wrists ,can't get to loo in hospital ,.....could be completely out of character .

TwelveThirtyTwo Fri 22-Mar-19 10:13:18

Do you mean she only wants you to go in and no one else?
If so bollocks to that. Organise a rota like you said and just get on with it.

MontStMichel Fri 22-Mar-19 10:14:07

Having just broken my leg, I can imagine she is in a lot of pain, depressed at the thought of 6 weeks in hospital (and that is if the bones heal well; they might not) and maybe physio; and drowsy with the painkillers! I am finding it hard to think or concentrate much! Take it with a pinch of salt!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »