Talk

Advanced search

to think it is dangerous & wrong to teach children to think they can be "born into the wrong body" instead of teaching resilience?

(117 Posts)
SpeakUpXXWomen Thu 21-Mar-19 20:46:50

Stereotypes, lies and thought crime are in and logic is out.

CAMHS is completely overrun and we are in the midst of a mental health epidemic.

We keep pouring money into ideologies with NO scientific basis whatsoever cooked up by people with no child behaviour expertise or qualifications. We are paying these people to undermine children's natural confidence and dismantle safeguarding and sex based rights. We are paying these people to lie to children and it is doing serious damage, targeting vulnerable groups such as those who have suffered abuse or will likely be homosexual adults and those who are on the autistic spectrum.

AIBU to think this is utterly batshit and the money would be better spent teaching children resilience and funding the mental health services we need instead?

Why are we campaigning to help children with eating disorders overcome their difficulties whilst simultaneously forcing healthy children to deny themselves completely if they do not crush themselves into a stereotypical box?

Skincaresos Thu 21-Mar-19 20:48:48

Couldn't agree more!

Cailleach Thu 21-Mar-19 21:44:49

You are spot on. Roll on the day when neurodevelopmental disorders can be swiftly and easily diagnosed via genetic testing / MRI
scanning instead of the absurdly long-winded and inaccurate processes we have in place at present.

It's not the wrong body they're in - it's the right body, wrong brain!

Iamnobirdandnonetensnaresme Thu 21-Mar-19 21:50:59

I keep thinking about that Harry Enfield and chums sketch with the old
Fashioned 'scientist' going on about lady brains, except it's not funny anymore because it's being taught as fact!

I'm happy for LGB issues to be taught but T is about erasure Of LGB.
We should be teaching children to love who they are - that's it. If we can do that everything else melts away.

underneaththeash Thu 21-Mar-19 21:54:44

Of course you're right.

Hopefully it's all a fad and will pass.

Giving confused teens hormones that will wreck their future fertility isn't misguiding do-gooding its really dangerous.

BellaVista1540 Thu 21-Mar-19 21:59:13

We have to teach them about it because those in genuine need will encounter shallow minded people like the OP throughout their lives and need support to get through it. As Omid Dalil (?) said today, it’s important to teach my children not to be narrow minded so future children aren’t judged by narrow minded people like the OP.

BellaVista1540 Thu 21-Mar-19 22:01:55

And Iamnobirdandnonetensnaresme, discrimination is ok when it fits your agenda?

SpeakUpXXWomen Thu 21-Mar-19 22:07:46

underneaththeash

I hoped it was a fad for a very long time but since it is now in schools and becoming enshrined in law I am finding the flabber is daily being ghasted and just keep hoping the word spreads quicker, that people can see what is happening and stand firm to stop it. So much damage being done to so many people, it's a scandal in action.

TheLoneWolfDies Thu 21-Mar-19 22:08:12

BellaVista she isnt narrow minded at all, you cant call someone narrow minded for stating facts.

RockyFlintstone Thu 21-Mar-19 22:09:25

We have to teach them about it because those in genuine need will encounter shallow minded people like the OP throughout their lives and need support to get through it. As Omid Dalil (?) said today, it’s important to teach my children not to be narrow minded so future children aren’t judged by narrow minded people like the OP.

Do you believe that people are actually born in the 'wrong body' then? confused

SpeakUpXXWomen Thu 21-Mar-19 22:13:53

Deep as the ocean me grin

Matter of fact am parent to disabled dc and often think how polar opposite that sort of parenting is to what transideology seeks to promote. When you have spent a child's life teaching them how to accept and grow strong regardless of what physical or mental obstacles they must overcome the very thought of "wrong body" is just so incredibly immoral and damaging a concept to teach. It is the very opposite of resilience which I feel is what good parenting should teach. Roots and wings.

(may be on second glass of wine here...)

AureliaJane Thu 21-Mar-19 22:18:27

More bigoted swill. Of course hordes of professional people whose jobs it is to support children who might be trans are wrong about how we should support and counsel kids. Someone on Mumsnet has some half formed theory about resilience that proves them all wrong.

oldowlgirl Thu 21-Mar-19 22:18:26

You are completely correct Op.

AureliaJane Thu 21-Mar-19 22:20:15

These threads can just fuck off, the only other place you see anything like the same level of smug, self-congratulatory ignorance is on the pro Brexit threads.

newtlover Thu 21-Mar-19 22:22:29

interesting and valid insight OP thanks, of course YANBU

newtlover Thu 21-Mar-19 22:25:23

don't you think that if you had a child who had a disability, the idea of 'the wrong body' might have a special resonance?
those who are abusing OP come back when you have some real experience of supporting a child with a real challenge

SmileEachDay Thu 21-Mar-19 22:25:44

Of course hordes of professional people whose jobs it is to support children who might be trans are wrong about how we should support and counsel kids

Actually, there’s a great deal of discomfort amongst exactly those professionals about the current climate, including a senior member of the Tavistock clinic.

Motherofcreek Thu 21-Mar-19 22:26:10

Speak I agree.

No amount of surgery or medication will ease the pressure of gender disphoria. The money needs to come out of schools and suspect charities and put back in to mental health.

I’m clinging on to hope that this whole mess is going to be the catalyst that gender roles/expectations will be shattered. That’s boys and girls can dress and act how they please with out prejudice with out disfiguring their bodies or expecting people to lie.

There has got to be a silver lining.

BellaVista1540 Thu 21-Mar-19 22:29:06

@AureliaJane completely agree. @RockyFlintsone I don’t know, because I’ve never had experience of dealing with this issue. SmileEachDay@SpeakUpXXWomen sorry for the hardship you must face but physical issues are more valid than mental issues?

fairybeagle Thu 21-Mar-19 22:29:13

Completely agree

BellaVista1540 Thu 21-Mar-19 22:30:14

@SpeakUpXXWomen Don’t know where SmileEachDay came from. Sorry

SpeakUpXXWomen Thu 21-Mar-19 22:30:47

If only Motherofcreek, that would be splendid.

I was watching Queer Eye yesterday and a very lovely man in heels was teaching a very lovely woman how to walk in heels whenever she may feel the need (she never had), it seemed so very relaxed and straightforward, non of this bending of reality to fit an idea in someone's head just wear what you want when you want. Be who you want.

Sorry, drunkish derail.

SpeakUpXXWomen Thu 21-Mar-19 22:31:39

a tiny hint for life

Sorry but

means the opposite of sorry

FullOfJellyBeans Thu 21-Mar-19 22:33:38

At the moment there's very little understanding on what can cause a person to be transgendered so your assertion that they should just be taught resillience is clearly ludicrous. These people are at massive risk of suicide, dropping out of school and serious mental health disorders. There is no basis for just telling them to suck it up. That's a downright stupid idea.

The problem with people like the OP is that they are narrow minded and ideologically driven.
We need specific research into how to help people who are transgendered not just general mental health services.

OP is clearly not an expert in gender disorders so isn't the person we should defer to in making these decisions.

SmileEachDay Thu 21-Mar-19 22:35:46

@SpeakUpXXWomen Don’t know where SmileEachDay came from. SorrY

It came from you making a fucking silly comment @ me on another thread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »