Talk

Advanced search

I want to be childfree mothers day am I being unreasonable?

(16 Posts)
Chrisema Thu 21-Mar-19 20:32:34

Hi I have 4 lovely (in their own way) children aged 23, 20, 15, and 4, I have been recently asked what I would like and I'm shocked at there response. I replied (very very keenly lol) to spend the day with my feet up no cooking, cleaning or watching others, I would like the day to me, may I comment I started the Dry-January thing and have not had a drop since, so I may decide to have a good old tipple, watch what I want, wear what I want do anything, I deserve it, a day to think I deserve this, my children have totally dismissed the idea and continue to plot, they asked I gave an honest answer, am I being unreasonable?

JoyceDivision Thu 21-Mar-19 20:34:11

No. Not at all.

iamkahleesi Thu 21-Mar-19 20:35:41

Sounds bliss! I want that too!

Giraffey1 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:36:27

I don’t think it is unreasonable to want a day to yourself but I think you are unkind to want it on Mother’s Day. Your children want to spoil you and do nice things for you, so why not let them? You can have a child free day another time.

FullOfJellyBeans Thu 21-Mar-19 20:37:10

I do think it sounds lovely. It's not really in the tradition or spirit of mothers day which would be celebrating your role as a mother rather than having a break from it but if it's what you want (and I definitely don't blame you!) I'd go for it.

ColouringPencils Thu 21-Mar-19 20:38:41

Not unreasonable to not want to lift a finger, but I do think it's weird you don't want to spend Mother's Day with your own children. Surely the three older children are old enough to make a special day for you and not need looking after?

Thehop Thu 21-Mar-19 20:38:48

Not at all. I get Saturday afternoon off and husband takes Sunday morning. We do it 3 weekends out of 4 normally and it’s lovely.

I’d let them spoil you Mother’s Day though and ask for a day of peace as a gift for another Sunday

JesusInTheCabbageVan Thu 21-Mar-19 20:40:08

Do you mean all kids clear out of the house, or just kids take on the 'mum drudge work' for the day?

LittleMissFunTimes Thu 21-Mar-19 20:40:17

I’ve spent my entire parental life wanting this. Although actually, and interestingly, the first year I’m not with ExH I don’t feel like that 🤔

Not that I don’t adore my children but when they were tiny my ExH would donthe cards, flowers and breakfast in bed then the day was the same as usual. All I bloody wanted was a day to myself. Buy me a spa day, or just take the kids out and leave me alone!!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 21-Mar-19 20:40:38

I have only one, she’s 8 and tbh it’s —more— as much for her as it is for me. She’s all ezcited about the card and a present she has for me and what we’ll do together that day —something I will have to pay for—.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 21-Mar-19 20:41:07

Doesn’t strikethrough not work anymore?!

Order654 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:42:14

Have a day to yourself any day of the year.

My daughter would actually be devastated if I told her I wanted her to leave me alone on mother’s day. She’s plotting what she can buy me already and will want to spend the day with me and she’s only 7. I think your being a bit mean.

DocusDiplo Thu 21-Mar-19 20:48:49

When is Mothers day?

Leeds2 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:49:01

If you responded to your three oldest saying that you wanted "to spend the day with my feet up no cooking, cleaning or watching others," they may have interpreted it as meaning that you would be happy if they cooked and cleaned for you, and watched the little one. Personally, I would let them, but I wouldn't think you were in the wrong if you didn't!

SmallFastPenguin Thu 21-Mar-19 20:54:04

I think it is U to not want to see your kids on mother's day and would hurt their feelings. I agree about not doing any housework or cooking though and your eldest to entertain your younger dc for you so you can relax.

cardibach Thu 21-Mar-19 21:03:16

DrinkFeck are you on an iPad? Mine seems to turn two small dashes into one big one and thereby fuck up strikethrough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »