Talk

Advanced search

Tight see through white top and no bra in the office

(97 Posts)
furrybadger Thu 21-Mar-19 20:26:18

Okay so I work in quite a large organisation and work within an office, we don’t have a formal dress code as such, we can wear casual clothes as long as it’s appropriate, so for example no ripped jeans, no flip flops, no low cut tops etc.

Today there was a young woman in the office, she had a tight white see through T-shirt on and no bra, very clearly see everything especially when she is walking around the office with everything bouncing around.

Aibu to think this isn’t appropriate ? do others think this is ok in a office setting ? I understand not wearing a bra but surely not when your top is very clearly see through ?!

Hushnownobodycares Fri 22-Mar-19 10:21:39

men in stained smelly t-shirts

That would bother me a whole lot more than someone giving the girls the chance to sway in the breeze.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 22-Mar-19 09:48:56

Yep, you can keep your nips for home and leisure. Not appropriate for work. Manager needs to have a word. Ideally not a male one. blush

Mummyshark2019 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:41:02

Yes totally inappropriate.

nometal Fri 22-Mar-19 09:36:57

"I wear an H cup and I promise you that I wouldn’t want to go out wo a bra.
A friend of mine is a small A cup and regularly wears no bra. No one would be able to tell."

My wife wears an H cup too and occasionally goes to work without a bra, particularly in the summer. However, she only does so when wearing a top that provides plenty of control. I work in the same place as her and am happy that she doesn't look inappropriate. Sometimes I haven't noticed until bedtime. Besides, she's a 28H which really isn't that big.

TapasForTwo Fri 22-Mar-19 09:11:44

I think you missed the human nature memo Imacliche

You can argue all you like about this, but the fact is that breasts are sexualised whether you like it or not, and most men will enjoy looking (and some women). If I saw a beautiful cat you I would want to look at it.

If someone turned up looking like that where I work they will get talked about, and the boss would tell them in no uncertain terms to cover up. We do have a dress code though, so no-one would come in like that anyway. And, yes, it is an attention seeking way to dress because it us out of context and inappropriate wear for the office.

TOADfan Fri 22-Mar-19 08:24:29

I think it is highly inappropriate just like coming into work in see through leggings.

I don't want to see your tits nor your thong thanks very much.

Not a good look..even Heidi Klum and Miley Cyrus can't pull it off.

MulberryPeony Fri 22-Mar-19 08:11:55

Imagine my surprise when I get to work this morning and sit next to a braless colleague in a tight white tee! Should I tell him I can see his nipples or take off my bra in solidarity?

Imacliche Fri 22-Mar-19 08:11:02

Did i miss the memo on nipples becoming wildly offensive.
Do i need to get rid of mine.

Stop looking and you wont be offended.
Doubt they were "jiggling" unless star jumps are compulsory in the work place

MadAboutWands Fri 22-Mar-19 08:11:02

As for no bra... surely it depends?

I wear an H cup and I promise you that I wouldn’t want to go out wo a bra.
A friend of mine is a small A cup and regularly wears no bra. No one would be able to tell.

I suspectthat sais woman often doesn’t wear a bra but no one noticed before. It’s the sheer material of the T-shirt that made it obvious.

MadAboutWands Fri 22-Mar-19 08:07:34

I don’t agree with anyone, men or women, showing their nipples off at work.
It doesn’t matter of that woman had a sheer bra that was showing up stuff (through TWO layers of clothing!!) or a guy wearing a light weight shirt that is transparent.

BlueEyedPersephone Fri 22-Mar-19 07:54:04

I started this thread in the not appropriate camp, then actually remembered how many times, pre-children when I had sheer underwear, that it would have looked like I was braless when in fact I wasn't, so in this case I am now thinking unless the company has an enforced dress code, leave her alone and focus on your own life. It is also not the law to have to wear a bra

Happyhusband Fri 22-Mar-19 07:44:47

Sometime I think I work with a whole office full of tits but maybe not in the sense of this thread!

megrichardson Fri 22-Mar-19 07:40:25

I think that often people who dress in a very revealing way know exactly what they are doing.

RisingLikeAPhoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 07:30:46

Possibly was not aware. I still blush when I think about the time I went to work in a navy dress that was pleated at the bottom. All absolutely fine in the bedroom mirror - went to the staff loo later in the day and you could see right through the bottom half. I had been walking around for half the day with my knickers on show and nobody told me!

badlydrawnperson Fri 22-Mar-19 07:25:47

t nips these situations in the bud. I see what you did there.

anniehm Fri 22-Mar-19 07:22:47

At my brothers work they had this issue so the bosses brought in company logo polo shirts and shirts for all (they can wear whatever bottoms they like as long as they are dark except skintight leggings)

Thegoodthere Fri 22-Mar-19 07:22:41

YABU for that "the poor young boys didn't know where to look, she's distracting them from their work" schtick.

strawberrisc Fri 22-Mar-19 07:19:01

@FenellaVelour

But it was too late. I’d seen everything. 😁

Betsy86 Fri 22-Mar-19 07:00:37

‘It nips these situations in the bud’ grin

Although yes a dress code with a few little rules is best. We have to wear uniform at work im quite glad really as saves the stress of thinking what to wear. Although we can wear are own smart trousers now which has a few issues...x

FenellaVelour Fri 22-Mar-19 07:00:25

my salsa buddy telling me that he can see everything.

Read that in the voice of Patrick Stewart.

PregnantSea Fri 22-Mar-19 06:46:19

I used to work in an office with no proper dress code - there was something about no offensive words on t-shirts but that was it. A small number of people dressed in a way that was wildly inappropriate - men in stained smelly t-shirts or arse cracks hanging out over baggy jeans, women with no bras with see-through tops, tight short leather skirts, crop tops with midriff showing etc. People used to talk about them and how inappropriate it was. People would laugh at them. Their own managers would come and moan to me about it sometimes in a gossipy way! It was very rare for anyone to actually speak to the employee about it though. I think that all offices should have a dress code, even if it's a very relaxed one. It nips these situations in the bud.

Nameisthegame Fri 22-Mar-19 01:40:40

Personally I think it’s fine not to wear a bra, but I hate wearing them. But no way should your top be see. Through. She should atleast be wearing a vest.

WaterQuarter Fri 22-Mar-19 01:08:37

DrVonPatak, diaphanous white t-shirts are a source of annoyance for me too! Not too see through, not too thick, not too clingy, not too baggy. Is that too much to ask! M&S could solve their woes by fixing that kind of problem.

DeRigueurMortis Fri 22-Mar-19 01:05:28

Of course it's inappropriate.

DrVonPatak Fri 22-Mar-19 00:50:24

Completely derailing the topic, but how about boycotting white t shirts until they actually go back to producing proper non see through ones? It's like finding the holy trail sometimes, occasionally you hear roumors, but no-one has actually seen one. Personal pet peeve of mine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »