Talk

Advanced search

Tight see through white top and no bra in the office

(97 Posts)
furrybadger Thu 21-Mar-19 20:26:18

Okay so I work in quite a large organisation and work within an office, we don’t have a formal dress code as such, we can wear casual clothes as long as it’s appropriate, so for example no ripped jeans, no flip flops, no low cut tops etc.

Today there was a young woman in the office, she had a tight white see through T-shirt on and no bra, very clearly see everything especially when she is walking around the office with everything bouncing around.

Aibu to think this isn’t appropriate ? do others think this is ok in a office setting ? I understand not wearing a bra but surely not when your top is very clearly see through ?!

Springwalk Thu 21-Mar-19 21:29:09

So what are you gonna do op? No good just complaining on here.
If you feel it is concerning talk to her. Be direct. Maybe she doesn’t realise, maybe she does. Either way I am not sure it is right to rip her apart on here.

Amrapaali Thu 21-Mar-19 21:30:20

Omg!! Are see-thru bras verboten? 😲 I have worn many delicate tops even though I knew my bras were visible through the transparent material...

But OP you are right NO bras and tight top seems so.oo inappropriate

staydazzling Thu 21-Mar-19 21:31:53

Tbh I think at work you should be wearing a bra, time and place to let them swing,

Skittlesandbeer Thu 21-Mar-19 21:32:45

Not ok.

Hard to believe no one picked her up on it, and made her find/buy a jacket. Every workplace I’ve been in would have resulted in manager ‘having a chat’.

Noticed at school assembly yesterday morning that two teachers had come to work in floaty sheer dresses with very obvious dark knickers underneath. No doubt in their case they’ll be informed with glee by 400 kids throughout the day! blush

Purpleartichoke Thu 21-Mar-19 21:38:53

If it’s just that you can tell she has nipples, then stop being ridiculous. The current obsession with nipple protrusion baffles people my age. Women have nipples and sometimes they place little bumps on the shirt. Deal with it. It’s also ok if you can tell her breasts bounce a bit instead of holding perfectly still in. An iron clad bra.

If you can actually see her breasts, then that is a different story and hr should probably speak to her.

furrybadger Thu 21-Mar-19 21:39:09

I think someone mentioned it to her manager but not sure if anything was said, the young lads in the office didn’t know were to put their eyes 🤦🏽‍♀️

Drogosnextwife Thu 21-Mar-19 21:40:52

Perhaps she didn't notice, the lighting in your office might have been making the top more see through.

Whoops75 Thu 21-Mar-19 21:47:36

I would tell her, if she knows then you look like a prude if she didn’t you’ll have a new friend.

A straight forward approach ‘ oh hi X, FYI your top is quite see through.

IncrediblySadToo Thu 21-Mar-19 21:51:01

the young lads in the office didn’t know were to put their eyes

Oh, I’m sure they did...

thedisorganisedmum Thu 21-Mar-19 21:58:17

this is exactly why companies have dress codes, and when they contain puzzling rules or ridiculous details, it's usually based on one case. Sometimes, it needs to be written in black and white what skirt length is appropriate hmm

FullOfJellyBeans Thu 21-Mar-19 22:05:15

YANBU maybe she didn't realise how see through it was? Otherwise I can't imagine how she thought this was a professional (even casual professional) way to dress.

Laloup1 Thu 21-Mar-19 22:05:32

A woman I worked with recently wore a white see through top with flower-shaped stickers over her nipples. I’m pretty relaxed but that was interesting office attire!

Whoops75 Thu 21-Mar-19 22:09:50

Laloup they are nipple pasties to hide protruding nips not an item of clothing grin
She probably had a sheer bra didn’t know they could be seen!

SkinnyPete Thu 21-Mar-19 22:15:22

As a bum man, I'd appreciate it a lot if you ladies only ever wore unflattering baggy sacks on your derriere in the office please.

Gth1234 Thu 21-Mar-19 22:21:22

sounds like a good look to me. smile

Peakypolly Thu 21-Mar-19 22:21:53

We used to have a receptionist who, if any of us young women arrived in what she considered inappropriate office wear, would whip out a (pretty grim, bobbly) cardi from under her desk and tell us to pop it on as “you never know if someone from Head Office may visit”. She really didn’t give you an opportunity to refuse! Inappropriate in her eyes was sleeveless or even very slightly transparent tops/dresses. We all thought she was batty and whipped the cardi off as soon as we were out of her sight.
In retrospect, maybe it made me consider my work attire a bit more

NearlyVegan Thu 21-Mar-19 22:25:43

What skinny Pete said

Lolwhat Thu 21-Mar-19 22:30:26

It’s just nipples, stop sexualising the female body when boobs are literally just baby feeders, if you think it’s inappropriate then don’t dress yourself like it🤷🏼‍♀️

MulberryPeony Thu 21-Mar-19 22:30:48

I have a Goddard glossies nude bra and absolutely cannot wear it with a fine merino knit jumper or it looks like I’m braless if it’s chilly. Her house might have been much warmer!

CheshireChat Thu 21-Mar-19 22:31:43

IME men know they need not to look and they just focus very firmly on the face (as they should clearly).

Sunonthepatio Thu 21-Mar-19 22:41:11

No. Women should not be leered at by men in the office and should know where to look, but women should also not go out of their way to flaunt their sexuality in the workplace.

At the very least, they won't be taken seriously as workers and that is a pity.

GabsAlot Thu 21-Mar-19 22:43:46

fine if someone doesnt want to wear a bra but not with a white see through top

U2HasTheEdge Thu 21-Mar-19 22:46:49

It’s just nipples, stop sexualising the female body when boobs are literally just baby feeders

Boobs are also sexual. You might not think they should be but the fact is they are. It is not appropriate dress for office work. Saying they are just baby feeders isn't going to change that.

DustyMaiden Thu 21-Mar-19 22:50:02

I attended a managers conference where a woman wore a string vest and no bra, no one mentioned it.

StoppinBy Thu 21-Mar-19 22:50:54

I wish I could go braless.... unfortunately my boobs have seen better days lol.

I would look for sure but in a jealous kind of way, as long as she isn't putting her crazy braless boobs in your face then they aren't really your problem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »