Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what would it actually take to cause civil unrest in the UK

(217 Posts)
Frenchfancy Thu 21-Mar-19 19:51:45

Why aren't people angrier about Brexit? Why have there been no riots? Is it because the part of society that are more likely to root want Brexit and the rest of us are too polite.

I live in France where we have been having weekly riots for the past few months because people are a bit upset they haven't got enough money. Yet in the UK not a single window has been smashed.

I'm not saying rioting is a good thing, I'm just wondering why other in other countries people get angry enough to riot but in the UK they don't.

SurgeHopper Thu 21-Mar-19 19:52:48

Because too many stupid people don't understand the bigger consequences

Divgirl2 Thu 21-Mar-19 19:54:03

I think the march on Saturday might dissolve into chaos, but I might be alone in that.
I've wondered the same thing myself so I'm watching this thread with interest.

Frenchfancy Thu 21-Mar-19 19:56:27

Nice to know I'm not alone in wondering.

ShinyMe Thu 21-Mar-19 19:57:46

It's partly a cultural thing - the French have always protested at the drop of a hat. Look at the revolutions, the May 68 barricades, the Gilets Jaunes, even the tradition of burning cars to celebrate new year. The British just rarely do that very much.

SuchAToDo Thu 21-Mar-19 19:59:08

Because what is blocking the streets rioting and smashing windows (and damaging someone elses businesses) going to achieve? How is that going to stop brexit?hmm

Why riot about something that people had the opportunity to vote for?..this is the result of a vote...not everyone agrees with it of course, but that's the result of living in a free country with democracy, you get a vote, and it may not always go your way but that's life

SpeakUpXXWomen Thu 21-Mar-19 20:00:37

Nah it'll be the saturday after when the shop sells out of bread and milk judging by any scottish snowstorm ever!

BareBelliedSneetch Thu 21-Mar-19 20:02:01

I’m worried about the March on Saturday too. I know the last one was brilliant from an atmosphere/behaviour point of view, but it’s sooooo close to the wire now, and I think people are getting angrier.

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Mar-19 20:02:33

Because for all the strong opinions, no one really knows what is right and everyone is only too aware that their friends family neighbours all have different opinions. I can't exactly riot for something my DH would riot against.

CilantroChili Thu 21-Mar-19 20:02:35

There isn’t cultural precedent.

Heatherjayne1972 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:05:02

When we get martial law curfews and petrol rationing

Many people have quite a shock coming

Bigfatyellow Thu 21-Mar-19 20:06:59

The French are renowned for it. The British? Why, golly gosh, what a notion! British people are accustomed to be on the winning side, so they have never had to revolt. This is new territory for them. Plus they're ever so proper, have an aggressive police force, and it just wouldn't be worth it.

AnalUnicorn Thu 21-Mar-19 20:07:15

SurgeHopper - so if they were brighter, they would be rioting ?

winecigsandchoc Thu 21-Mar-19 20:07:33

Because the government is being very clever and stalling so both sides think they have a chance of winning whilst they quietly put in place measures to minimise the fallout each way

twofingerstoEverything Thu 21-Mar-19 20:07:39

I’m worried about the March on Saturday too.
I'm not smile

Frenchfancy Thu 21-Mar-19 20:08:53

We should be angry because the vote wasn't fair and wasn't just. Because the future of the UK has been decided by how rich the people who wanted to leave were and what lies they told.

The UK does have a history of protests, look at the minors strike, greenham common, the poll tax.

QuestionableMouse Thu 21-Mar-19 20:10:23

We had riots not too long ago. Look how that turned out.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:10:47

Because 50% voted to leave. So fighting and riots would be 50% v 50%. Normally people riot against the authority.

Bigfatyellow Thu 21-Mar-19 20:10:48

@Frenchfancy They were all things that affected the poor. This one affects the rich.

Witchend Thu 21-Mar-19 20:13:53

The French protest; the English sign petitions and raise £7.63 towards the cause on GoFundMe.

Bigfatyellow Thu 21-Mar-19 20:14:45

There were riots in Tottenham. So British people are capable of rioting.
You have to realise that Remainers are not from Tottenham. Their hobby is cycling.

Cornettoninja Thu 21-Mar-19 20:19:40

I think it’s ingrained in the culture not to ‘make a fuss’. Stiff upper lip and all that.

You see evidence of it more in racist/mysoginistic/bullying contexts but you’re more likely to hear a Brit launching into a ten minute whinge onLBC than chuck a shitbomb at the Houses of Parliament.

Karigan195 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:20:29

Duh a tea shortage!

GetRid Thu 21-Mar-19 20:21:24

There is no way there will be riots over Brexit, not at this stage anyway. There are many more years of Brexit ahead of us, whatever happens.

I was on the train with a load of protestors heading into London for the last big march. Every one of them was a middle class Waitrose shopper type. Absolutely not the sort to riot!

But if we have no deal and there are proper, sustained shortages, then low-level unrest could be possible.

Frenchfancy Thu 21-Mar-19 20:22:27

Maybe when they run out of strawberries for the Pimms?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »