Talk

Advanced search

To want my holiday

(5 Posts)
girlsgirls20 Thu 21-Mar-19 19:10:50

Apologies for posting this here, I tried another category but received no replies.

I have been on maternity leave since July and I am due to return to work next month.
I am an employee on a zero hour contract but I usually do around 24 hours a week over 3 days. I had a meeting last week about returning to work and I asked my manager about putting in my accrued holiday at the end of my maternity leave so I would have longer off and she wasn't sure it would be possible. I have done this before in 2016 when I finished my maternity leave and I ended up having nearly 12 months off in total.
She seems to think that it is down to the employer to decide whether I can even accrue days during Mat leave but surely as I've done it before it can be granted again?

I have tried looking online but cannot find enough clear info, If anyone knows about this or can attach a link for me to read, I would be very grateful.

ilikefastcars Thu 21-Mar-19 22:07:08

Holiday entitlement

You build up all your entitlements to paid holiday during your Statutory Maternity Leave. This is even if your contract says you are entitled to more than the legal minimum.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/entitlements-during-statutory-maternity-leave#toc-2
You can add holiday to the beginning or end of your Statutory Maternity Leave. You may not be able to carry over untaken holiday entitlement if your Statutory Maternity Leave goes over two holiday years. You could take this at the beginning of your Statutory Maternity Leave.

girlsgirls20 Fri 22-Mar-19 08:33:47

Oooh thank you very much @ilikefastcars, much appreciated

Prequelle Fri 22-Mar-19 08:35:09

Just double check it's the same in your area because that website is northern Irish.

I expect it's the same.

girlsgirls20 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:14:10

I will do, thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: