Talk

Advanced search

To encourage more ladies into my profession....

(95 Posts)
Hannah4banana Thu 21-Mar-19 18:04:48

Come on ladies, there must be some mumsnetters bored of the 9 - 5 and looking for a challenge. It's not for everyone but the time off and holidays are fantastic and there's a degree of flexibility. I work 2 x days 2 x nights for 7 weeks then get 18 days off.
I'd love to have some more strong inspiring ladies in my crew.
Here the link
https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/emergency-services/scottish-fire-and-rescue-service/jobs/wholetime-firefighter-149388?from=org
Any questions ask away. I'm 5ft 2 and 9 stone and I can do it. It's more than being a big burly bloke these days smile

MaggieAndHopey Sat 23-Mar-19 05:35:02

Thank you. I will try to train as specifically as possible if I get to that stage. I'm excited - until yesterday I actually had no idea there was no upper age limit to be a fire fighter. I've often toyed with the idea but assumed I was past it.

Hannah4banana Fri 22-Mar-19 21:53:20

Hi maggieandhopey that's great! The only tips I can give is train for the scenarios. They are all listed on the website. I imitated the equipment carry in the gym and practised so many times.
All the weights are listed for each section so you can set up a relay.
Best of luck! If I can help with anything else please let me know smile

MaggieAndHopey Fri 22-Mar-19 20:50:05

Hi OP, I'm in Scotland and thinking of applying at 41 years of age. Have you got any tips for the fitness day? I do strength training 4 x a week at the gym and I do a treadmill run of 10km once a week, as well as cycling to work every day (10 mile round trip). So I'm in decent shape but not complacent - the bleep test looks tough!

Surroundedbycats Fri 22-Mar-19 20:45:29

What are the eyesight requirements?

Degustibusnonestdisputandem1 Fri 22-Mar-19 20:28:45

Hmm. I'll be volunteering for the CFA when I move back home to Oz in October. I've already had some training and fought more than a few fires.

RuggyPeg Fri 22-Mar-19 18:44:03

Totally different Jazzer. It's the tone and context. It's a bit NetMums/Hun/patronising. Unless you're titled and really are a Lady, in which case.....

thecatsthecats Fri 22-Mar-19 14:41:24

Cool, I'm on 10.5. Bragging rights maintained!

JazzerMcJazzer Fri 22-Mar-19 14:39:16

All those offended by “lady”, do you also get offended when the compere of a show says “Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, please put your hands together for....”

Or when you go to the Ladies’ toilet?

Hannah4banana Fri 22-Mar-19 13:34:40

I had a 50 year old trainee on my course. If you can pass all the tests then yes of course you can join!

iwantatattoo Fri 22-Mar-19 13:30:59

I'm in my 50's - can I join?

Hannah4banana Fri 22-Mar-19 13:29:09

No upper age limit smile

Namechangeforthiscancershit Fri 22-Mar-19 13:16:58

I took my Rainbows for a fire station visit recently and they loved it. Sadly there weren't any female firefighters on that day, but the firefighters who showed us around were very encouraging and engaging.

GOODCAT Fri 22-Mar-19 13:11:53

Is there an age limit on joining?

Hannah4banana Fri 22-Mar-19 13:07:57

Brizzlemint grin yeah people don't seem to care too much then.

brizzlemint Fri 22-Mar-19 13:06:56

I really wouldn't want to be called a lady 99% of the time but if you are dragging me out of a burning building then you go right ahead and call me whatever the fuck you like.

Hannah4banana Fri 22-Mar-19 13:04:51

That's the trainee salary. It increases to 30.5 after 32 months. But it is shocking for the job we do!

ArtisanPopcorn Fri 22-Mar-19 13:03:48

£22k for 42 hours?! I get that for my 35 hour a week admin assistant job!

MissGuernsey Fri 22-Mar-19 12:54:27

Yup OP we were told that the equipment test was last. I was 8 seconds out on my first (practice) atrempt!. The reaasembly of equipment test seemed easy enough but I only passed with about four seconds to spare.

Hazeintheclouds Fri 22-Mar-19 12:52:13

Ladies?confused

Hannah4banana Fri 22-Mar-19 12:23:24

It used to be 9.6 but it's now 8.8
When people apply they actually underestimate the beep test because they are fit and already run but there's definitely a technique to it. I downloaded a copy and practised in the aerobics hall at my gym when there's were no classes on. Same for the equipment carry which is the toughest part of selection.
On the practical day it's the beep test first then all the other strength tests with the equipment relay saved till the end, it's designed to push you to your limits so it's a tiring day!
I was absolutely spent at the end, I couldn't have given any more smile

thecatsthecats Fri 22-Mar-19 12:03:36

What do you have to get on the beep test?

(Purely for my own humbling or bragging depending on your answer...)

Hannah4banana Fri 22-Mar-19 11:43:42

Hi DisgraceToTheYChromosome, I'm actually just about to start my Hgv training very soon. They prefer you to get a good all round grounding as a firefighter before you start driving. I'm nervous but looking forward to trying something new! I'm worried about driving under blue light conditions as members of the public seem to panic when they hear sirens and do the strangest things. I'll have responsibility for myself, my crew and everyone else on the road!
Another string to my bow as they say smile

Vulpine Fri 22-Mar-19 11:40:11

I am a lady so take no offense what so ever. You can also call me girl.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 22-Mar-19 11:01:25

Hi OP. Do you get a Class 2 HGV license with the training, or is that a further stage? I worked with a firefighter who did agency work on his days off, as he'd got the license and he was tacho and wtd exempt while on watch.

Alienspaceship Fri 22-Mar-19 09:14:58

Great idea for a thread, thanks Op smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »