Talk

Advanced search

To be fuming about this comment

(277 Posts)
takeasadsongandmakeitbetter Thu 21-Mar-19 14:29:36

DH has a few days off work. I am on maternity leave with 10 months old DS. Today we went to a playgroup. There were other babies there of a similar age. Many of them competently crawling. DS has tummy crawled for a while and very recently starting crawling on his knees, not so much today as it's slower than commando style. He is very bright generally and climbs, stands, claps, blows raspberries, waves and says some words.

After the group DH asked if I was worried about how 'behind' DS is. I explained that I didn't think he was behind at all. He then asked if the other babies (who can crawl well) were breastfed. I said yes 2 of them were EBF to 6 months. By this point I was on edge as I could see where he was going with it. He then said maybe DS was slower as not breastfed. And then said that breastfed babies are obviously more advanced.

For medical reasons we had to combination feed. I managed to BF to 12 weeks, i was extremely upset about the whole situation as DH knows.

AIBU to want to punch him?? Don't want to go into details of our relationship and how good or terrible he has been generally. Just want some perspective on this comment as I know I am sensitive about the topic!

peachgreen Thu 21-Mar-19 14:33:21

Punch away. Hurtful and utter bollocks. Your DS isn't behind at all.

PCohle Thu 21-Mar-19 14:34:58

He sounds like a total dick. Slagging you off for something you couldn't control and are already upset about is wildly unhelpful. Does he think he would magically have done a better job if he could have BF?

The NHS sets out the benefits of breastfeeding here - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/benefits-breastfeeding/. Making your baby really good at crawling isn't one of them, shockingly.

takeasadsongandmakeitbetter Thu 21-Mar-19 14:35:47

Thank you, just polishing my chunkiest costume ring for optimal punching effect.

justthecat Thu 21-Mar-19 14:36:21

I’ve had 3 dc and didn’t breastfeed any of them, they all walked by 8 months.( its a statement, not a brag,I promise!)
It is completely irrelevant to your ds progression.
Be proud he is a happy little boy, you’re obviously doing well bringing him up.

MustStopSnacking28 Thu 21-Mar-19 14:36:27

I could have written this post apart from the hurtful comments from your DH. My baby is 10 months and exactly the same sort of stuff but not crawling yet and also couldn’t breastfeed for longer than six weeks due to me needing to take medication. I would be very very upset by that sort of comment from my DH, it’s a crock of shit IMO anyway, isn’t all the research supposed to be about later on in life like test results etc? He is being the opposite of supportive to you.

thebabessavedme Thu 21-Mar-19 14:37:41

sounds like your dh was formula fed! grin punch him right up the bracket!

SparkleJoy Thu 21-Mar-19 14:39:04

Nope totally understandable to be upset. If it helps my daughter is EBF and no where near crawling at 8 months yet my nephew born day after who is FF is already crawling. Every baby is different and develop at their own pace!

3boysandabump Thu 21-Mar-19 14:39:16

I have 4 dc. The one who crawled first was the one who bf least.

He really has no right to have a say on bf at all as he is not the one doing it. Even if you'd not bf at all for no other reason than you didn't want to that's your business because they're your boobs.

What he said was way out of order and a total crock of shit.

CostanzaG Thu 21-Mar-19 14:39:22

What a dick! Firstly, he's not behind and secondly, bf doesn't make a difference as to when a baby will crawl!

Kaddm Thu 21-Mar-19 14:39:35

OP both my dc were ebf and never crawled at all. Your dh is being very nasty.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 21-Mar-19 14:40:04

What a load of absolute crap.
And what a fucking hurtful thing to say.
I didn't breastfeed my DD at all.
She was having none of it.
Other reasons too.
But.... she was walking at 10 months.
It was a friggin PITA.
I always say to friends or people with younger kids to be careful what you wish for!
Your DH is a dickhead - I HTH!!!

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 21-Mar-19 14:40:15

I think that dads (generally assuming they are not the primary carer) have a tendency to fret about their DCs progress because they're rarely with them together with other babies, and see differences that are not visible to the primary caregiver.

However - that is no excuse for his comments which are a) bollocks and b) crass.

He can do all the nighttimes for at least a week, wouldn't you say?

takeasadsongandmakeitbetter Thu 21-Mar-19 14:41:29

DH was breastfed by chainsmoking MIL who also loves the wine so probably would have been better off with formula! (But that's a whole different thread)

Thank you for your comments.

DS is a lovely happy, smiley and gorgeous baby so I'm not too worried.

Feel quite hurt by his comments and stand by my urge to punch him. Hard.

BlueMerchant Thu 21-Mar-19 14:42:50

Leave the pig at home next time reading up on child development.

BlackPrism Thu 21-Mar-19 14:43:00

Your DP is a twat, what would be like you to do about the lack of breastfeeding? Turn back time and grow new boobs l?

DoneLikeAKipper Thu 21-Mar-19 14:44:22

I breastfed both of mine. Wish someone had let my second know you’re meant to be some crawling/walking prodigy because of how they’re fed, because he was pretty much an immobile dumpling until about 1. Unfortunately he’s now (at 15 months) the complete opposite, and under the impression he’s Spider-Man with his amazing climbing skills. I miss the immobile dumpling.

You baby is very very very likely completely normal, and this is 100% nothing to do with how they’re fed. If your husband needs his mind put at ease, he can arrange an appointment with the HV (who will hopefully tell him to get a grip, in their most professional manner).

NewSchoolNewName Thu 21-Mar-19 14:45:48

Breastfeeding has absolutely nothing to do with how soon a baby learns to crawl! What a ridiculous thing for your DH to say!

Plus your DS doesn’t sound like he’s behind from your description anyway.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 21-Mar-19 14:46:00

Well if he's so keen he can try to lactate and breastfeed then. Wanker.

mynameissleepy Thu 21-Mar-19 14:47:44

If anyone is behind, it's your DH.

He's a dick and a stupid one at that.

It makes zero difference...I say that as someone who has done both. I don't think teachers could point out the breastfed children vs the formula fed ones.

Expressedways Thu 21-Mar-19 14:48:55

What a horrible and completely inaccurate thing for him to say. Did you ask him why he said it?
And not that it’s a competition but my formula fed DD was walking at 10 months.

oh4forkssake Thu 21-Mar-19 14:49:06

Idiot.

No court would convict you.

One of mine crawled and the other didn't. Both EBF til 6 months despite my best bloody efforts to get them to take a bottle

takeasadsongandmakeitbetter Thu 21-Mar-19 14:49:37

DS sleeps through mostly so no nighttime's to do really! The two babies who are better crawlers are not very good sleepers. Which I have pointed out to DH - all babies are different!

FullOfJellyBeans Thu 21-Mar-19 14:50:19

YANBU I'm a big proponent of breastfeeding but he's being ridiculous and also obnoxious. I can totally understand him looking at other babies and feeling anxious about DS's development. Lots of people do that at some point but he's very unreasonable to take his anxiety out on you. DS sounds well within normal range. Some will crawl at 5 months some will still not be moving much at 1. Both varieties of babies will have some breastfed and some formula fed amongst their numbers.

BitchQueen90 Thu 21-Mar-19 14:50:42

I breastfed DS and he didn't start walking until well past a year old. Tell your DH to piss off.

crow2018 Thu 21-Mar-19 14:52:42

YANBU my Ds was formula fed and was walking at 9 months, how they are fed has nothing to do with it

Grumpelstilskin Thu 21-Mar-19 14:52:44

Happy to give you an alibi and old carpet if you need it....

NWQM Thu 21-Mar-19 14:53:42

I'm trying to brew up a withering put down about your son's paternal genes clearly letting him down....but.....oh what the heck yes, punch away!

TheVanguardSix Thu 21-Mar-19 14:53:50

Tell your DH and his veiled criticism (of his own wife and child, mind!) to fuck off into the sunset together.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 21-Mar-19 14:54:13

I would have ripped him a new one on the spot.

HappyDinosaur Thu 21-Mar-19 14:54:52

My breast fed baby is 10 months and can crawl a little but not much at all. She simply doesn't like it, preferring to try to stand, I think each baby is different and your DH should apologise for being unthoughtful.

TheVanguardSix Thu 21-Mar-19 14:55:19

Actually, it's not even veiled, is it?
Punch 'til that rock don't shine, OP.

JellyBaby666 Thu 21-Mar-19 14:55:25

What a knob.

Well done you for not lampooning him at the baby group.

7circlemats Thu 21-Mar-19 14:55:50

He's an idiot. My daughter was combination fed, she walked by 9 months.

JellyBaby666 Thu 21-Mar-19 14:56:10

Oh and my nephew didn't crawl. Went from bum shuffling to walking, never crawled, and breastfed for a year. So tell him to knob off and put the kettle on!

takeasadsongandmakeitbetter Thu 21-Mar-19 14:57:27

I've settled for suggesting he spend a bit more time parenting and less time pissing me off and have earned myself a rare afternoon to myself whilst he takes DS somewhere and no doubt tries to teach him to crawl better hmm

EnglishRose13 Thu 21-Mar-19 14:57:40

My son was formula fed and now, at almost 3, I have absolutely no recollection of when he started crawling.

Your son isn't behind at all. Your husband needs to learn that comparing babies is pointless.

7circlemats Thu 21-Mar-19 14:57:40

Also my friend EBF her son and he didn't walk until well after 1 year old.

username4858 Thu 21-Mar-19 14:58:03

I Ebf my DD she didn't crawl until she almost 10 months! I remember worrying about it but never thought it was anything to do with how she was fed. Every baby is different.
Now she's almost 2 and can out run me shock I now think how silly I was worrying about it.

QueenoftheBiscuitTin Thu 21-Mar-19 14:59:14

He should really read a book on child development.

JammieCodger Thu 21-Mar-19 14:59:25

Punch away. I’ll take a swing too, if that’s ok by you?

I was lucky enough to have both my babies get the hang of breastfeeding. One was walking at 9 months, the other (BFd till she was 3 years old) failed her 8 month check because she couldn’t support her own weight, didn’t crawl til she was one and didn’t walk until 22 months. She also has asthma and eczema. So he can take his ‘benefits of breastfeeding’ and stick ‘em where the sun don’t shine.

LailaByron Thu 21-Mar-19 15:01:06

I bottle fed all of mine (couldn’t breastfeed unfortunately as hard as I tried!) eldest DD was walking at 9 months. 2DD had a wonderful vocabulary very early on. DS has been an amazing footballer since aged 3. DD1 at uni doing amazingly well. 2 youngest in high sets for everything across the board.

I don’t think being bottle fed held any of them back in any way, shape or form. What a plonker....

blackteasplease Thu 21-Mar-19 15:02:07

What a twat! I thought he was going to make the opposite argument - that babies were held back by bf because it takes longer and they spend more time feeding. Which would also be bollocks but there would be some warped logic there.

He is totally u and v hurtful.

BollocksToBrexit Thu 21-Mar-19 15:04:10

Tell him that actually the research shows that the babies who are the most developmentally advanced are those who spend the most time in the sole care of their fathers.

prettypossums Thu 21-Mar-19 15:05:47

FWIW, my cleverest and most sporty DC was also much slower than the others to both crawl and walk, there's no link to future ability or intelligence.

AnguaUberwaldIronfoundersson Thu 21-Mar-19 15:07:38

Jesus wept! Punch away.

I gave up after a week and broke my heart because I couldn’t find a way to make it work for us. Lots of issues meant a starving baby, little milk produced and my mental health at breaking point. My DH was nothing but supportive.

I know there are so many benefits to breast feeding and I agonised over my decision because of the health benefits and immune system boosts but then I remembered my friend formula fed the two healthiest kids I know and my SIL exclusivly breastfed my DN’s and they’re always sick! Quickie realises each child and situation is different

prettypossums Thu 21-Mar-19 15:08:11

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130328075702.htm

downcasteyes Thu 21-Mar-19 15:08:13

"I've settled for suggesting he spend a bit more time parenting and less time pissing me off"

Nicely played, OP. wine

FizzyGreenWater Thu 21-Mar-19 15:08:44

So he doesn't spend much actual time with your DS then?

Because only a very uninvolved dad would make comments comparing baby development - it's the kind of thing a non parent might think who has spent absolutely no time with babies. There's no comparison. Crawling rates?! grin eeek - he needs to spend more actual time with his son, and other babies too. Embarrassing!!!!!

burgundyjumper Thu 21-Mar-19 15:09:50

Others have got there before me but I'll say it anyway.

He's a twat.

takeasadsongandmakeitbetter Thu 21-Mar-19 15:11:40

Quick update on my response to this...

Just before we left for playgroup DS did a wee on DH's pillow when I was changing him. Was just about to bung his pillow in the washing machine and dryer but it's dried out pretty much so I think I'll just leave it. What he doesn't know can't hurt him right?? We can add it to the list of things DH clearly knows nothing about grin

VelvetPineapple Thu 21-Mar-19 15:14:06

My DS was EBF for six months and I continued to bf while weaning. He didn’t crawl at all until 9 1/2 months - before that he just rolled! Your DH is talking out of his arse.

hereweareyes Thu 21-Mar-19 15:14:13

He should really read a book on child development.

This exactly.

(My two were both EBF until around the age of two. There is no fucking way that anyone would ever be able to know this if I didn't tell them. And even if there was such an obvious and big difference between BF and FF babies on the individual level - which as we all know, there isn't - WTAF are you meant to do if you're unable to breastfeed for whatever reason?)

Anique105 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:17:47

Yanbu hes such an idiot. My ds crawled absolutely perfectly at 6 months and he was formula fed.
Dont get too hung up about bf vs ff. Two of my friends have Bf their two kids and compared to ds similar age, they are forever sick as well.
Fed is best and it's not a competition.
Your DC is doing perfectly fine.

IHateUncleJamie Thu 21-Mar-19 15:18:08

Can’t honestly remember when dd19 crawled but she was a late walker, late at tolerating home cooked food, generally got round to everything(except talking) late, in her own good time. She’s still the same now - gets there when she’s good and ready - but she’s gorgeous, clever, loving, talented and thriving at Oxbridge.

She was EBF but only until 4 months when she used to have a bottle of formula at teatime because I couldn’t produce enough milk. I can’t take credit for any of her achievements; she’s done everything herself, but I would put money on it having absolutely bugger all to do with breastfeeding. 🙄

Your DS sounds adorable and perfect. Your DH is a thoughtless twat. Punch away. flowers

NickMarlow Thu 21-Mar-19 15:19:11

I breastfed dd1 for a year. She sat at 8 months, bum shuffled at 14 months and finally, finally walked at 2 years 1 week. Never crawled.

Dd2, also breastfed, is 8 months and showing signs of crawling. But then her sleep is shocking compared to her sister.

Babies develop at different rates. How they're fed has no bearing on it.

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Thu 21-Mar-19 15:19:52

His comment was hurtful and bollocks.
I have 2 dc. One was breastfed, the other got formula. The bf one is struggling at school, has possible adhd, loves learning but can't focus. That child also did the commando crawl.

The ff child is ahead at school, reads well, makes friends easily, can read and write well and is more confident. That child crawled properly and walked earlier.

The way they're fed as babies makes no difference whatsoever.

countrygirl99 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:20:32

My eldest never crawled. He used to wriggle along like a caterpillar and at 10 months just got up and walked. Younger one crawled and walked a bit later.

AnneOfCleavage Thu 21-Mar-19 15:23:37

No correlation at all. DD was breastfed exclusively until she weaned then carried on breast feeding til after age 1. She was one of the last to crawl in our baby group at 9.5mths but no one ever commented. Her cousin crawled at 6mths also breast fed exclusively and you'd never tell who crawled first now - they're teens now.

Aswad Thu 21-Mar-19 15:25:18

Not helpful at all I'm afraid. You can show him the following if it helps! Exclusively BF DD shes 11 months ...doesnt crawl at all (lots of rolling around) not yet standing , waving or any of the things you've mentioned! DS combination of BF and FF and walking by 12 months! Honestly they seem to just want to do their own thing xxx

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Thu 21-Mar-19 15:25:58

I couldn't breastfeed as I didn't produce any milk at all,If my dh had said that id have throat punched him

SleepingStandingUp Thu 21-Mar-19 15:28:53

Mine had pumped breast milk til 4 months then combo til 6 then formula from them. Never bloody crawled. Clearly my milk wasn't crawling juice.

Rowgtfc72 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:37:38

Dd was mix fed from a month, breastfed exclusively the first month.
She crawled on her first birthday. Walked at 17 months.
I was bottle fed and went to uni.
Absolutely no link between development and breastfeeding feeding.
Has he been reading parenting stuff online? Dh was a bit hung up on milestones when she was small. He's learnt babies do their own thing.

diddl Thu 21-Mar-19 15:38:42

Omg-how hurtful & stupid!

Let's hope that your son doesn't take after his dad in either respect!

Knittedfairies Thu 21-Mar-19 15:39:28

I'd like to see a grown man showing a baby how to crawl!

MadeInUSA Thu 21-Mar-19 15:42:15

That's ridiculous. My DS never had a single drop of breastmilk (I had none) and has gone on to excel in everything he has done and is now at one of the top universities. He's tall, fit and able. Ignore the tosser

Tinty Thu 21-Mar-19 15:44:11

Please please tell him you have spoken to the Health Visitor and she suggests that the best thing is for the same sex parent to show him how to do it.

I am having visions of him crawling around a lounge with DS staring at him and you trying not to laugh. grin

Then he needs to show him how to pull himself up on furniture etc.

PhilomenaButterfly Thu 21-Mar-19 15:50:35

YANBU at all. I had 3 who were ebf and 1 who couldn't suck so was ff from 4 months. DD's possibly the brightest in her class. Please tell him to FOTTFSOFATFOSM.

WhatchaMaCalllit Thu 21-Mar-19 15:54:48

I've read the posts and I think you had the perfect come back to your DH's comment OP but if he were my DH I would have tried in vain to come up with some witty comment about how it might have had something to do with the lazy sperm that was his contribution and suggest he get himself checked out! But after thinking about it, your response was perfect!

Topseyt Thu 21-Mar-19 15:54:55

Your DH seems to have his head well up his own arse here.

Does he even realise that actually not all babies crawl? My DD1 did crawl but I can't remember at exactly what age. She walked at just coming up to 14 months. DD2 and DD3 both bum shuffled from 8 months. DD2 then walked (finally) at 23 months. DD3 walked at 21 months. All were formula fed. No two babies are totally alike however they are fed though, and comparing them is pointless.

I would love to see a grown man trying to teach a baby to crawl though. If you see DH trying that then do film it.

FrozenMargarita17 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:57:05

What a load of shit he's talking!

KaliforniaDreamz Thu 21-Mar-19 15:58:25

This is such bollocks.
My friend who EFF just told me her son got into grammar school no tutoring etc.
he also spoke at 9 months walked at 11.

mine were all breastfed and one of them couldn't be arsed to get up until she was 22 months.

he's being a dick.

AWishForWingsThatWork Thu 21-Mar-19 15:58:54

"Actually, DH, babies with 2 clever parents are more advanced. Unfortunately for baby, only his mummy is clever."

AndItStillSaidFourOfTwo Thu 21-Mar-19 16:01:23

'Idiot' flatters him.

I bf three children to between 3 and 4.5 years each and one never crawled and two (the same two who never had a single drop of formula pass their lips) didn't walk until 17 months. He can put that in his pipe and smoke it.

(And your ds, obviously, isn't 'behind'. It's not a bloody race)

Why would he say a thing like that? I can only imagine he is being deliberately cruel. Could that be the case?

MinisterforCheekyFuckery Thu 21-Mar-19 16:03:52

I would be beyond hurt if my DH said something like this to me. He must have realised it would upset you, no one can be that oblivious surely? Does he often make comments to put you down OP?

Nanny0gg Thu 21-Mar-19 16:04:29

When he goes back to work, ask him to identify which colleagues were bf and which ff.

After all, should be obvious...

CarpetGate Thu 21-Mar-19 16:06:24

Oh, I'm so sorry, that's awful. I suggest couple's counselling - he needs to have a good re-think.

londonliv Thu 21-Mar-19 16:07:47

Total BS - I'd give a punch in the nuts! BF makes zero difference to when you can crawl. TBH I'm a bit sceptical of some of these miraculous benefits of breastfeeding - my fat is definitely not melting away despite BF nothing to do with my chocolate consumption

commentson Thu 21-Mar-19 16:09:05

Tell DH to stand in the local primary school playground and tell how each kid was fed at birth. DICK.

DPotter Thu 21-Mar-19 16:11:59

I never crawled - was a bottom shuffler. walked at 15-16 months. was ff and have 2 degrees and multiple diplomas. Oh and my Mum smoked through her pregnancy.
silly man

pepperpot99 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:14:48

Your dh is a complete tit. If you'll excuse the pun. He ought to fuck off, really.

FilthyforFirth Thu 21-Mar-19 16:17:56

I only managed 3 weeks bfing. My DS crawled late, around 11 months. He didnt walk until 14 months. Now at 20 months his talking is amazing, often stringing together 3/4 words. Not bragging but just saying their ability to crawl/walk has nothing to do with how they're fed. I'd love to punch your 'D' H! YANBU.

BlooperReel Thu 21-Mar-19 16:19:43

What a dick.

DD was formula fed, walking at 9.5 months and progressed to a full on run at 10.5 months', it was a fucking heart attack inducing curse, trust me. Breast milk is wonderful in many ways, but does not give babies crawling abilities.

Babdoc Thu 21-Mar-19 16:25:58

DD was formula fed. She has an IQ of 166, a maths degree, speaks three languages, plays piano and is lethal at krav maga. Obviously the lack of breast feeding has really held her back.... oh, wait.

Margot33 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:26:51

That's ridiculous! My siblings were bf and I was ff. They both have slight special needs and I don't. The breast feeding brigade can't pin all the blame on formula!!!

barkinatthemoon Thu 21-Mar-19 16:27:37

Just another insight... both my girls were ebf. My first didn't walk until 15 months, but was talking in sentences before a year. Second was walking at 9 months, but only started talking properly around 18 months. They both had the same milk from the same boobs, they're just different children who do things at different times. In my first antenatal group some sat before others, some crawled early, others talked early, some didn't eat any solids until 13 months, and now at almost 5, they all have a very similar range of skills, some obviously more advanced in different areas depending on their individual interests. Because that's what they are... individuals. It's so silly to compare babies as they're all growing and changing every single day. Tell your dh to do one and he can have a go at lactating for the next baby if he's so great.

Deadringer Thu 21-Mar-19 16:32:34

How fucking dare he! My DC are all geniuses and they were FF after the first couple of weeks! He's a tosser.

Drogosnextwife Thu 21-Mar-19 16:34:48

OP I currently look after a child who was breastfed and is considerably older than you DS and they still can't crawl. Your DH is talking bollocks.

harriethoyle Thu 21-Mar-19 16:35:39

I was EBF and didn't walk til 18 months..! Far happier bossing my elder brother around and making him bring me things ;-)

Katinkak8 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:36:31

My BF DD was crawling at 7 months but didn't walk until 14 months. Your DS is absolutely normal, as you know. Method of feeding has absolutely nothing to do with it!
I think a PP has put it well though, your DH probably sees your DS around his peers so infrequently that he has no idea what is or isn't normal. But he still should have been a bit more tactful!

hereweareyes Thu 21-Mar-19 16:42:26

My two were both EBF until around the age of two

Erm, wasn’t exactly what I meant but you get my drift grin

I was BF but am apparently not the brightest!

Pk37 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:43:19

What a prick!
Don’t just punch him in the face, kick him in the nuts too

averythinline Thu 21-Mar-19 16:44:48

He is talking crap but you obviously know that... I would suggest he spends more time with his DS -and other babies to improve his knowledge.... If he wants to do something why doesnt he take him swimming or baby gym ! especially if you get to stay in bed

Hadenoughofitall441 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:48:55

Total bulshit... both mine weren’t breastfed and they early learners, DS learned to crawl aged 6/7 months and dd walked aged 10 months. Kids go on thier own rate, clearly your DS has a problem with it, but that his problem not yours and DS... just tell him to get over it...

PutThatDown10 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:49:23

Well... I could only breastfeed for a short amount of time (won't go into why it didn't work out) by 8 weeks she was exclusively formula fed...

She was crawling at 4 months and walking at 8 months. She's not even 1 yet and is constantly hitting "milestones" early. I bet she'd be like that no matter what, breast or formula fed. She was just put here to keep me on my toes lol

Yabbers Thu 21-Mar-19 16:51:28

Thoughtless. But, was he just musing and if felt like an attack? Mr P is known for thinking out loud and being tactless because of it.

ReturnofSaturn Thu 21-Mar-19 16:53:51

No correlation.
My son crawled at 6 months and walked at 10 months and formula fed.
They all walk eventually anyway so what does it matter.

cranstonmanor Thu 21-Mar-19 16:55:46

I don't know about crawling but my brother walked ran at 11 months and I did at 12 months. We never had even one drop of breastmilk.

In my opinion babies do one thing at a time, either they concentrate on walking, or they concentrate on communication or whatever. I haven't been wrong yet.

In my opinion your partner is a dick.

prettybird Thu 21-Mar-19 16:56:30

Md ds was exclusively breastfed (weaned at 4.5 months because that's what most people did back then and I didn't know better but breast fed until he was 13 months smile).

He slept through from 2 weeks shock - I had to wake him to feed him confused

He only started commando crawling at 11 months, crawling on all fours at just over 12 months - although he was "cruising" at 12 months. He didn't walk until he was 17 months old. shock

Oh - and he didn't "talk" (as in, intelligible sentences as opposed to some form of Serbo-Croation wink) until he was 3.

He is now 18, we can't shut him up grin, he is studying Politics and International Relations at a good Uni, he cycled competitively for 3 years and he is a talented rugby player. So nothing to do with the "age" that they first do things.

They are ready when they are ready grin Sweet FA to do with breast feeding or not.

Your dh is talking bollocks.

3luckystars Thu 21-Mar-19 16:58:39

I think your DH does sound a bit behind.

Was he really going around surveying the other mothers on how long they breast fed? I'm just trying to picture it all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »