Talk

Advanced search

Things that are crap - cunningly upsold

(252 Posts)
MyKingdomForACaramel Thu 21-Mar-19 12:01:52

Have just attempted to make a sandwich using “toasty bread”... bread fell apart - but tbh it’s also rubbish as toast. So am I right in thinking that along with “naked burgers” it’s all a big con, and aibu to ask - what crappy products you have been “upsold”?

Forgotmycoat Thu 21-Mar-19 12:32:03

Marriage. Sold as a wonderful and absolute must do which completes you and is for life. The reality, for me, has been very different.

Sorry to darken the mood of your thread.

MyKingdomForACaramel Thu 21-Mar-19 12:34:20

@forgotmycoat flowers while that’s not my experience I might lump actual weddings in there.

Newyearnewme2019 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:38:40

Ready Baked Jacket Potatoes - if you bake them in an oven, you have to wait for an hour, might as well stick in a raw potato and cost's less

Sparklesocks Thu 21-Mar-19 12:42:28

This shit - it’s essentially a berocca style product anyway, and I guess doesn’t work on women...

MyKingdomForACaramel Thu 21-Mar-19 12:44:09

@sparklesocks - hmmm could make a great passive aggressive present for a secret Santa though.

MyKingdomForACaramel Thu 21-Mar-19 12:46:20

As for the jacket potatoes- they’re also half the size and twice the cost!

itsstillgood Thu 21-Mar-19 12:49:27

There is/was a ride/activity at Cadbury World that you have no idea what it was apart from the name but you join the queue because everyone else is and there are markers on the wall telling you from this point it is a 45 min wait so obviously it is something worth waiting for you would think. You'd be wrong! You sit in little cars and get driven past plastic models of cocoa beans with faces in various scenarios. It was a bit freaky and I think had the potential to terrify small children. It is about 8 years since we went and I am still in awe at how they could groups of adults to queue for ages for it. My overwhelming memory of it was a feeling of 'wtf was that' with the kids expressing similar sentiments if not in those terms.

Cornettoninja Thu 21-Mar-19 12:54:41

Those stick vacuums if MN is anything to go by.

I’ve read those threads intently because I really coverted one and my vac breaks my back. Turns out they’re mostly expensive brooms and 99% of people still have a ‘main’ vacuum. Boggles my mind how you could shell out £££’s for a device that doesn’t even cover all you need it to do.

I still got a cheapy Hoover stick in a sale though! I’m pleased with it but suspect that’s because I had low expectations.

KitMarlowesPufflingPants Thu 21-Mar-19 12:57:13

I bought an Etsy chalkboard for the kitchen. Dh saw it and told me it’s a £1 roof slate with a bit of twine attached blush

Hellohah Thu 21-Mar-19 12:59:46

And when you do those Jacket Potatoes in the microwave, they go all hard on the bottom!

LividLaughLove Thu 21-Mar-19 13:00:40

IVF.

£25k and just two miscarriages to show for it. sad

KitMarlowesPufflingPants Thu 21-Mar-19 13:04:33

@lividlaughlove flowers

Forgotmycoat Thu 21-Mar-19 13:05:13

Kidzania. Pure half term hell. They could make a killing selling therapy to parents on the way out.

ThunderStorms Thu 21-Mar-19 13:07:00

Pitta breads that have been cunningly cut in half (pitta pockets)
hmm

AlwaysaLittleBitTired Thu 21-Mar-19 13:07:32

Haha @itsstillgood - we fell into that trap last month! What an infinite waste of time. I wonder is there always such a queue, or were we there on the same day smile

ShirleyPhallus Thu 21-Mar-19 13:08:52

Pizza express half calorie pizzas. They’re half the fucking calories cos they’ve used half the ingredients and then charged just as much.

Candleglow7475 Thu 21-Mar-19 13:11:10

LividLaughLove Hugs & flowers

SimonitesSocks Thu 21-Mar-19 13:13:22

"And when you do those Jacket Potatoes in the microwave, they go all hard on the bottom!"

I've been microwaving fresh potatoes for years, Hellohah, and have got totally fed up with the hard bits. A couple of weeks ago I had a lightbulb moment and decided to put it on a proper microwave 'insert' (the one I've got is for something else, but I managed to use it for the potato) it raises it off the glass so you don't get hard bits!

recrudescence Thu 21-Mar-19 13:20:55

Almost all of every supermarket’s ‘deluxe’ range: Taste the Difference, Finest, Irresistible etc, etc. Invariably a ripoff.

brizzlemint Thu 21-Mar-19 13:27:26

LividLaughLove flowers
Green tea...it's the liquid from the bottom of the compost bin.

Millimollimandi Thu 21-Mar-19 13:28:42

Hang on let me go through my cupboards.... Spiralizer - juicer - smoothie maker - citrus peeler- popcorn maker - anything made of silicon (I have cake 'tins' and loaf 'tins' all of which are crap as they don't hold their shape) the list is (almost) endless.

DennisSkinnersMolotov Thu 21-Mar-19 13:31:44

Swimming. Dull as fuck and you get wet.

winsinbin Thu 21-Mar-19 13:33:08

Pod coffee machines.

An expensive piece of clutter that ties you in to buying the environmentally unfriendly pods at a cost per cup of at least 5 times as much as loose ground coffee or beans. And the coffee it makes isn’t as nice as the more traditional methods of drip/filter/cafetière/stovetop etc. Total triumph of marketing over common sense.

HeyNannyNanny Thu 21-Mar-19 13:34:39

Being an adult.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: