Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask if you have/intend to emigrate from the UK?

(109 Posts)
wanderingcloud Thu 21-Mar-19 10:28:33

Just that really!

We move to Egypt in August and we are buzzing with nervous anticipation! Most important stuff is sorted for us now so just patiently waiting to get on the flight out.

Would love to hear from others who have done it. Where did you (or will you have) moved to?
How have you found it so far?

Witchesandwizards Mon 03-Jun-19 15:12:03

We are moving to Auckland in September/October.
Very mixed feelings - guilt about leaving my parents, excitement about a house with a pool, warmer weather, beaches and fresh air for the kids, and this weekend absolute terror at leaving my life here.
We went to Twickenham yesterday to watch England vs Babarians and I cried during the national anthem confused

BlackPrism Mon 03-Jun-19 14:20:41

I would never ever move to the ME though

Novia Mon 03-Jun-19 14:13:33

I moved to Spain initially for a year (just after the Brexit vote) and now we are approaching our third. I never thought I would ever leave my friends and family in the UK, and it has been hard at times (though more for me than the rest of the family). My kids are now totally bilingual and really happy in a semi-private school with half the class size of the UK. It's a very nature-driven life, lots of outdoor sports and sunshine. I feel that there is a far better work/life balance here - the only negative for me is the blazing summer and missing my family. But flights are cheap and frequent so we get home lots to see the grandparents, etc. Luckily we got the kids Spanish passports when they were born (Spanish husband) so I'm the only one at risk of not being able to stay, though I have a good job and pay my tax in Spain, so they shouldn't kick me out! I seriously don't know if we will ever go back now, especially with the ongoing political buffoonery! I feel that staying would give the kids more opportunity long-term than a post Brexit-Britain.

BlackPrism Mon 03-Jun-19 14:13:13

We hope to in the coming decade. Not forever but for a few years. We're interested in NZ/Aus, Canada, the US, France and Japan

BlamesFartsOnTheNeighbour Mon 03-Jun-19 12:39:40

Been in France 22 years, married a Frenchman, French kids. Toying with the idea of applying for a job in Quebec.

anothernotherone Mon 03-Jun-19 12:21:53

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-ranks-3rd-last-in-paid-vacations-1.1306523

managedmis Mon 03-Jun-19 12:14:03

Do you get more annual leave in Canada than in the US? I've never been to Canada but can imagine the lifestyle is wonderful.

^

I live in Canada and get 4 weeks.

Cobblersandhogwash Mon 03-Jun-19 12:09:28

Leaving for Luxembourg in August. I can't wait to leave the U.K.

There are many things I love about the U.K. but Brexit has shown me a really ugly side and both dh and I want to get out.

We hope to stay in Luxembourg for at least four years.

I've lived abroad a lot (Middle East and North Africa) as a child and then in Japan for three years as a young adult.

I would totally consider citizenship of another country if I loved it enough.

lifesnotaspectatorsport Mon 03-Jun-19 11:36:26

We left the U.K. for "a couple of years" nearly 4 years ago and now onto our second overseas home. It's hard to contemplate going back to be honest - we have a better quality of life abroad. I do miss friends and family though. My ideal would be to live in Europe so we could visit more easily and often.

I agree with some pp that when I do go 'home' I'm surprised by the drabness, poor quality of public facilities like stations, general litter and graffiti etc. I like the familiarity but overall I don't miss the country, only the people. Brexit is a national embarrassment.

anothernotherone Mon 03-Jun-19 10:48:44

In most of western Europe you need qualifications to teach English as a foreign language - preferably a degree plus a specific teaching English as a foreign language qualification, ideally CTEFLA or a masters in some cases, and you'll still be expected to register as self employed and work on that basis. It's very possible to work full time that way if you're based in a city but you are self employed, with the insecurity and administrative hassle that can bring. The pay is not enough to support a family on one income doing that but enough to support a single person or contribute one of two family incomes.

Language schools employ very few teachers, usually only the director and administrative staff are employed. To teach in a school you need local teaching qualifications or a teaching qualification from your own country plus international baccalaureate experience. Some companies employ teachers to teach their employees but then want some experience of their line of business for professional sector relevant vocabulary or a specific business English teaching qualification.

It's easier to teach English with fewer qualificatio in some countries outside Europe but the days when being a native speaker was enough are long gone in most countries.

feesh Mon 03-Jun-19 09:30:27

We moved overseas 8 years ago. It was supposed to be temporary, but I don’t really like going back to the UK any more and I don’t really want to live there again. We will probably move on again at some point, but not sure where yet.

aussiegonewrong Mon 03-Jun-19 09:25:05

I have recently returned to the UK after 25 years in Australia mainly for family reasons and I am enjoying it , on thing I don't miss is the heat . I did love Sydney and we had a good life there but its so far away and I was so fed up of doing that flight to come back and see everyone.

Damntheman Mon 03-Jun-19 09:24:49

Yay Norway @sonjadog ! We're in the same boat smile I emigrated at 22 and have been here 12 years now. Took me 7 years to become fluent so you have me beat there although I found it a lot easier to make friends.

Feel you on the elderly relatives pain though. It's nice to meet someone in the same position as me!

sonjadog Mon 03-Jun-19 09:14:49

I have been living in Norway for 23 years. I'm never going back to the UK. I´ve been away so long that it is a foreign country to me when I visit. Where I live is home now. It was very challenging at first. It took about 6 years to become completely fluent in the language, and it took about as long to make real friends. I understand why people give up after a few years and go home. There are definitely some tough periods to get through but to me going back was never a real option, so I stuck with it.

The biggest challenge now is elderly relatives. It is difficult when you are far away and also I have found it challenging trying to get them help in a system that I don´t know (I was only 23 when I emigrated, so have little experience of adult life in the UK). I have considered emigrating to Australia, but one of the main reasons why I haven't tried it is that I think it is too far from the UK. At least at the moment I can be back within half a day if there is an emergency.

JessieTalamasca Mon 03-Jun-19 09:13:33

Considering moving to Canada as am a dual national.

Brefugee Mon 03-Jun-19 09:13:15

Yep a few decades ago and maybe thought there might be a slight possiblity of moving back but not now. When Brexit turned into a thing took nationality, and was lucky that the country changed their law for Brits to keep that nationality if they want (dual nationality here only allowed with other EU countries). We were fully prepared to give up our British nationality though.

One PP mentioned TEFL and another said "don't bother". Most language schools here want a qualification (CELTA is most popular) and if you don't have it they might still employ a native speaker but at reduced rates. And EFL teachers don't get paid much unless you can get a good corporate gig. (I have an EFL qualification and know lots of EFL teachers)

Another PP mentioned taking citizenship and then letting their British passport lapse. That is fine, but you're still British (there is a fee, which has been increased recently for giving up your British citizenship - if i ever get that far they can sue me for it...)

Good luck in Egypt, OP!

Songsofexperience Mon 03-Jun-19 09:08:07

Emigrating was challenging and I have a lot of mixed feelings about my experiences.

I left very young and have spent the last 22 years in the UK. I regret not keeping any ties to my country of origin. It does make the question of ever "going back" irrelevant. In fact it would feel like emigrating, which would be confusing I'm sure.

fairweathercyclist Mon 03-Jun-19 08:55:57

* I think it's easy to lose sight of the things that are going reasonably well here - and, Brexit aside, there is a lot that this country has right*

Brexit is a bit of a big one though. I do agree, absent Brexit, it would be fine here - and I like the climate - I don't like it when it's too hot anyway and hot = nasty bugs. Anyway we'll see what happens post October 2019. Despite Brexit it seems to be more stable here than in some European countries but that could all change extremely rapidly if we have a no deal exit.

fairweathercyclist Mon 03-Jun-19 08:51:04

Do you get more annual leave in Canada than in the US? I've never been to Canada but can imagine the lifestyle is wonderful. But not much good if you can't get the time off to enjoy it.

MarniLou Mon 03-Jun-19 08:20:58

Hate the current attitudes in Britain at the moment. I've never wanted to move abroad (my parents did) and loved my country.
Now, yes seriously considering it. Brexit has brought out the worst in people. The conservative government have run down all of our services, I feel very frustrated and upset by our selfish society.

As an educational professional the final straw for me will be if Michael Gove is the next PM. I really couldn't stomach that.

As a public sector worker, due to central government cuts to Local Authorities my job is under threat, with the process of restructure starting next week. Sadly, already looking at jobs abroad.

MadgeMidgerson Mon 03-Jun-19 07:56:04

I am moving back home from the U.K. after living here for 18 years, marrying an English man and having two English children with him and becoming a citizen- have been one now for over a decade.

I honestly thought I would stay here for life, circumstances (definitely but not only Brexit) have meant that it is quite impossible.

Emigrating was challenging and I have a lot of mixed feelings about my experiences. confused

Natsku Mon 03-Jun-19 07:45:18

Moved to Finland 12 years ago. Didn't intend to move permanently but ended up doing so and have no regrets except for not finishing University (came here on my Erasmus year and never left)

Good luck learning Arabic @wanderingcloud I tried learning it a few years ago, gave up but I was fascinated by it

ApricotExpat Mon 03-Jun-19 07:42:04

Moved nearly 20 years ago, various places and then settled. Would never go back to the UK - best thing we ever did.
Go for it!

Laurajjj Mon 03-Jun-19 07:31:48

Considered moving to Australia before I met dh and had children but I decided it was too far away from friends and family. I would never move ds away from his grandparents, cousins and school friends now.

AngeloMysterioso Mon 03-Jun-19 07:29:32

How are all these people moving to the US getting a visas? I was under the impression that it’s nigh on impossible unless you are or are married to an American, or move internally within a company.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »