Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask if you have/intend to emigrate from the UK?

(109 Posts)
wanderingcloud Thu 21-Mar-19 10:28:33

Just that really!

We move to Egypt in August and we are buzzing with nervous anticipation! Most important stuff is sorted for us now so just patiently waiting to get on the flight out.

Would love to hear from others who have done it. Where did you (or will you have) moved to?
How have you found it so far?

stevie69 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:55:58

Nope, absolutely not. I love it here smile

tomhazard Thu 21-Mar-19 12:59:12

I am moving to Singapore for a job for 2-3 years. I love the UK though and I love my friends and family. It is a money making mission (and an adventure for my family) with a definite end point and there is a particular goal for the money we are set to earn.

I hope Brexit stuff will be a bit more stable by the time we get back though.

Anon10 Thu 21-Mar-19 13:08:21

Yes have lived and worked abroad. USA, Australia, NZ. Considering leaving again if Brexit goes ahead. Many of my friends are already leaving because of Brexit. DH and I are both professionals as are my friends. If we leave the European Union there will be a brain drain of professional and educated workers from the UK.

Blompitude Thu 21-Mar-19 13:10:11

Have lived in France for 15 years. Husband French, children born here. Visit UK twice a year which is nice, but no intention of moving back.

Ottessa Thu 21-Mar-19 13:12:57

I moved to the UK to study, and, as well as my home country, have also lived in France, the US and the ME -- we're planning to move on again, soon, not entirely sure where.

BigFatGiant Thu 21-Mar-19 13:14:11

Would consider moving to another developed country if it was necessary but wouldn’t move to a developing nation. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth comes to mind.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Thu 21-Mar-19 13:17:31

Are some pps confusing emigrating with simply living/working abroad for a while?
We lived abroad (mostly the Gulf) for 13 years, but it wasn't emigration - it was on an expat basis for work. We couldn't have taken those countries' nationalities even if we'd wanted to. Which we didn't, much as we enjoyed our years there.

RacingTime Thu 21-Mar-19 13:19:19

Left the UK 11 years ago. When brexit was announced we took nationality. We live in Europe and life is good.

Had to do a short visit back to the UK last month, first time for a couple of years. It surprised me how grubby it was, just not taken care of, terrible roads.

ahtellthee Thu 21-Mar-19 13:20:10

Moved to Switzerland in 2005. Had our family here. We love it, amazing quality of life that we could not get in the UK. Our parents always tell us not to go back either for this reason.

Have zero plans to go back (annual visits always reconfirm this for both of us).

Thehop Thu 21-Mar-19 13:21:43

We’re planning to move to Spain

gwenneh Thu 21-Mar-19 13:21:56

We left about three years ago; I miss people but I don't miss struggling to get on the property ladder! Our reasons for emigrating were purely economic and in that regard we made the right decision.

Bananasarenottheonlyfruit Thu 21-Mar-19 13:25:43

I know two women who are planning to move to Egypt later this year. Hopefully wanderingcloud has thought through her move a bit better. The people I know have clearly been suckered by men after a visa. All the cliches, they’re so in love, they’re going to get married etc. After one holiday. They are mother and daughter. Will not listen to anyone trying to talk sense about what is going on...

TheYoungOffendersMum Thu 21-Mar-19 13:27:06

Always wanted to relocate outside of the UK. Very much wishing I did my TEFL qualifications before I became a mum, as that would have opened up the chance.

ShakeYourTailFeathers Thu 21-Mar-19 13:27:33

Been in Canada 13 yrs. V happy here. Just waiting for our citizenship paperwork to be approved.

Bananasarenottheonlyfruit Thu 21-Mar-19 13:29:49

As for me, DH and I discuss it regularly. We would love to move out of the UK, but dyslexic DS13 would struggle and DH won’t leave his disabled mum on her own, although with fucking Brexit, she is saying we should go, so maybe he will change his mind.

Ottessa Thu 21-Mar-19 13:31:58

Are some pps confusing emigrating with simply living/working abroad for a while?

No, taking on another nationality isn't compulsory, or, as you said, even possible, and I don't think that emigration involves the intention to stay in a particular country permanently. But I left my home country in 1993, and haven't lived there since, having spent periods of several years living in various different countries -- where I could have stayed, in open-ended permanent jobs. I just decided to move on, because I like a change.

RacingTime Thu 21-Mar-19 13:32:13

@TheYoungOffendersMum Don't worry about the TEFL. So many people have them and they don't do a huge amount for you tbh here. So many expats just put flyers up offering English lessons and it's just overrun, they offer classes for €5 an hour.
You'd be better off looking at one of the multiple agencies that are looking for English speakers for company roles.

wanderingcloud Thu 21-Mar-19 13:32:20

I'm bringing my man with me Bananas grin

Also, I apologise for slightly misleading title, we are moving for work on a temporary basis (initially!) rather than emigrating but am interested in folks who have moved and not looked back!

Bluebell878275 Thu 21-Mar-19 13:35:35

We started our application to move to the States last month. I'm feeling excited but sick. We are looking to move to farmland which is perfect but at the same time I LOVE the English countryside, walking the dog to a pub, Christmas (no one does it like England).. I'm going to miss being here so much but we also only have one life so I'm going to try and see this as a positive.

TheYoungOffendersMum Thu 21-Mar-19 13:38:27

@RacingTime going abroad isn't possible for me anymore, TEFL or not. I just hope my kids take the chances they have, when they have them, which I didn't.

PopWentTheWeasel Thu 21-Mar-19 13:41:09

OP, have you researched this thoroughly. The last woman I know of who emigrated found that she needed a man to do basic things to set up their home e.g arrange to set up the phone and internet etc. as the company in Egypt wouldn't deal directly with her. This was some years ago so things may now be more equal.

Bananasarenottheonlyfruit Thu 21-Mar-19 13:43:41

Glad to hear it wanderingcloud!
I am so annoyed with the two silly women I know. One is selling a thriving business to do it as well. It’s crazy!

flowerycurtain Thu 21-Mar-19 13:51:05

I'd move to a lot of countries but from a safety perspective I'm not sure Egypt would be one of them!

spanishwife Thu 21-Mar-19 14:05:31

Great post from ginghamstarfish - I always find that those that complain about hating the country they move to are still trying to remain very British/set in their usual ways, which just doesn't work. I changed to lot to fit in here, not against my personality, but just approaching things in a different mindset and pushing myself a bit further. You have to want to be fully integrated, otherwise, there's no chance of it working!

@Thehop Do it! Where are you thinking? I'd aim North! Best decision of my life and so happy I chose to raise children here and not in the UK.

wanderingcloud Thu 21-Mar-19 14:07:33

Pop

My OH is coming with me and so I will have a man to sort things if needed but also an employer who is going to be providing all accommodation and utilities so I think I will be ok from this regard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »