Talk

Advanced search

To not want this person to come to my home and to cancel?

(156 Posts)
Shocksandboooos Thu 21-Mar-19 10:01:22

I am selling an item on shpock. I’ve had an offer on it for £40 which I have accepted and the buyer has accepted.
However they keep asking for my mobile number and won’t give me a straight answer about when they want to collect.
Am I being ridiculous?

I don’t know but something is just making me uncomfortable. I have sold a few times in this way and have never had any worries.

Shocksandboooos Thu 21-Mar-19 10:02:42

So far I have not given my full address. Everytime I ask about collection they push for my full address or mobile.

Nicknacky Thu 21-Mar-19 10:02:45

If you aren’t happy, cancel.

I had a bad vibe from a buyer and I sold to the next person that came along.

waffilyversati1e Thu 21-Mar-19 10:03:52

Trust your instinct

ziggiestardust Thu 21-Mar-19 10:04:08

Cancel! If you’re getting a creepy vibe then don’t feel guilty. Fuck politeness, it’s how people get hurt.

Shocksandboooos Thu 21-Mar-19 10:12:19

Does anyone know how to cancel after the deal has been agreed? Shock says something about it being a legally binding agreement.
They have now said that they would like to come today at 12 but I just don’t feel right. Maybe I am being a bit silly though. Dh is away this week and I am home alone with our toddler.

Avebury Thu 21-Mar-19 10:13:01

Can you get a friend to come and be in the house with you?

FrowningFlamingo Thu 21-Mar-19 10:13:45

Could you meet them somewhere public locally?

StrongTea Thu 21-Mar-19 10:15:03

Keep them at the door.

2cupsofcoffee Thu 21-Mar-19 10:15:25

Could you arrange to meet them somewhere other than your home? Petrol station, or supermarket car park, etc?

IM0GEN Thu 21-Mar-19 10:16:09

Don’t let them come to your home, meet them in a public place

BritInUS1 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:16:23

Just meet them somewhere public

FriarTuck Thu 21-Mar-19 10:16:43

Meet them in the car park of your local pub, with a friend parked next to you.

Ohyesiam Thu 21-Mar-19 10:17:24

Go with your gut op. Do t let them collect unless you have another adult present

pootyisabadcat Thu 21-Mar-19 10:19:00

ALWAYS trust your instinct. Cancel.

daisyjgrey Thu 21-Mar-19 10:19:19

Did you not see the episode of Luther with the fridge...? Public place!

pootyisabadcat Thu 21-Mar-19 10:20:32

They have now said that they would like to come today at 12 but I just don’t feel right. Maybe I am being a bit silly though. Dh is away this week and I am home alone with our toddler.

You tell them NO. 'I don't give out my mobile. I don't give out my home address or do collections in my home or deliver to private addresses. You can meet me at X (public place).'

safariboot Thu 21-Mar-19 10:20:37

You're selling something, the buyer needs to collect, and you won't tell them an address or a reliable contact number? hmm

keepingbees Thu 21-Mar-19 10:22:59

The legally binding stuff is rubbish ignore it. I've 'sold' loads of stuff on there to time wasters, it means nothing.
I agree trust your instincts but how do you intend selling your item if you won't give any contact details or an address?

Stayawayfromitsmouth Thu 21-Mar-19 10:23:10

I don't get it. How are they supposed to collect if you don't tell them where to collect it from. They can't give a time or day until they know where to go surely?

JustBeenNosey Thu 21-Mar-19 10:25:42

I've sold loads of stuff on Shpock and know a lot of people who have bought/sold a lot.

Just say 'I'm going to be out at 12 but I can meet you at 'xx' instead'

Eliza9917 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:25:50

never arrange collection from your home. Meet in a supermarket car park or something hmm

Unless its a big piece of furniture, in which case sell it to BHF and get them to collect it.

Shocksandboooos Thu 21-Mar-19 10:26:45

They have street name and town so know close enough. It is the pushing that it making me uncomfortable and there is no reason for them to have a contact number. They can message me through shpock.

A public place is a good idea but ds has chickenpox (which I have told them). I don’t have anyone who could come with me today though.
Like I said, maybe I am being silly.

Dragonfly3 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:28:38

Arrange to meet them outside a supermarket or cafe and take your toddler with you? Don't invite them to your home if you feel uncomfortable, you're under no obligation to sell the item to this person.

Crunchymum Thu 21-Mar-19 10:29:11

How do you expect them to collect without an address or mobile number?

How much would postage be? Can you offer to post it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »