Talk

Advanced search

Samsung phones and facebook

(18 Posts)
KOKOtiltomorrow Thu 21-Mar-19 09:18:41

AIBU to never buy another Samsung. Just found out my phone has FB as a built in app therefore I cannot uninstall it! I can disable it but it will still be.in the background draining my battery, using up space and possibly collecting data.

I found this out whilst trying to clear the messenger icon which says I have 2 unread messages when I don't. Apparently this is another FB "issue" to get people checking more frequently than they would normally.

I do use messenger but am shocked that the choice to uninstall is not available.

killpop Thu 21-Mar-19 09:19:58

Surely you won't get notifications or data collecting if you're not logged in to Facebook?

underachieverspleasetryharder Thu 21-Mar-19 09:21:59

Samsungs always come with loads of bloatware. Bixby is the worse offender angry

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Thu 21-Mar-19 09:40:35

It's not just Samsung, my HTC has fb, messenger, instagram and twitter pre-installed, along with other things, and I'm unable to get rid of them.

I've disabled the apps and refused all permissions and regularly deleted the cache. I don't know what else to do to stop them gathering data about me!

KOKOtiltomorrow Thu 21-Mar-19 22:05:54

@killpop - yes I do. I do use messenger to communicate with my kids and I am a very infrequent FB poster - could easily live without it. It's the "built in" and unable to uninstall that annoys me. And I wouldn't be so naive as to think a "sleeping" app wouldn't be collecting data on me.

SpoonBlender Thu 21-Mar-19 22:19:20

If you've got a phone with the Play store then you're screwed anyway for tracking - the Play "services' will do all that by themselves. Google are considerably less revolting than Facebook, but still.

MyOtherProfile Thu 21-Mar-19 22:22:56

Which samsung is it? I have a 7 and dh and ds have 9. None of them have fb permanently installed.

steff13 Thu 21-Mar-19 22:26:37

I have an S10, and I installed FB on it, it didn't come with it.

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Thu 21-Mar-19 23:41:20

I sussed out the messenger trick about 3 phones ago. I keep fb live because the date/event function is useful but I've yet to discover how to get rid of fucking Bixbyangry

MyOtherProfile Fri 22-Mar-19 06:04:28

What's Bixby? I don't have that on my Samsung.

Frickssake Fri 22-Mar-19 07:13:17

Hate Bixby and hare the new update installed last night on my S9. I've tried iPhones / HTC now Samsung., Will be on the lookout for a different android next

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Fri 22-Mar-19 09:24:37

Bixby is a personal assistant app. Mostly opened by accident by touching screen or side buttons whilst trying do something else. Once you close it you have to reopen other apps to get them to work. Trivial but it causes a lot of faff and always pops up uninvited. angry

SrSteveOskowski Fri 22-Mar-19 09:50:53

My last phone was a Samsung and the memory was absolutely crap. Mostly because, as you say, it comes with so much stuff already on it that you can't uninstall.
I was constantly deleting photos because of 'insufficient memory', bought an SD card, but most things couldn't be transferred over.
The battery started giving up earlier on this year and to be honest I was delighted as it was an excuse to buy a new phone.
I bought a Huawei, much phone and the camera alone is 10 times better.

I'd never buy another Samsung.

SrSteveOskowski Fri 22-Mar-19 09:51:28

*much BETTER phone.

Dragonglass Fri 22-Mar-19 20:02:54

I have an S8 and have turned Bixby off. Can't remember how I did it now though.

Hearthside Fri 22-Mar-19 22:55:58

Bixby gives me the rage .I really need to know to get it off my S9 ,tried googling but no joy.Amount of times i have accidentally opened it ,drives me mad angry.

malmi Fri 22-Mar-19 23:42:08

Either log out so it's not collecting data (because it no longer knows who you are) or stay logged in and use it to communicate with your kids. You can't have it both ways. YABU.

MaMisled Fri 22-Mar-19 23:48:52

I've got rid of Bixby on my note 9. Google it but I swiped left to the Bixby screen and held down until delete icon appeared then pushed page up and off.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »