Talk

Advanced search

Estate agent WWYD

(16 Posts)
crispysausagerolls Thu 21-Mar-19 06:37:34

Going for a second viewing on a house I’m very keen on, with a builder (as lots of work needs doing). After this viewing we will make an offer. AIBU to ask the estate agent to not come round the house with us but stay in a room/outside/car or something? I don’t particularly want him to listen to good ideas we have and pass them onto other viewers!

Or am I being bananas? Never done this before so no idea what I’m doing.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 21-Mar-19 06:40:13

Don’t see why he couldn’t just stay in a room while you walked around. Although he might have instructions from vendor to accompany people.

nrpmum Thu 21-Mar-19 06:41:27

They won't pass on your ideas for changes with other viewers because they'll be trying to make sure every viewer feels their ideas for the house are best.

What you do want to do is keep your best game face on until you are back in your car and talk about figures there instead of whilst viewing.

Pinkprincess1978 Thu 21-Mar-19 06:41:38

Is the house empty or occupied? If it is occupied then as a home owner I would want him to stay with you. If it is empty then they usually just let you get on with it.

HarrysOwl Thu 21-Mar-19 06:44:44

I don’t particularly want him to listen to good ideas we have and pass them onto other viewers

Laughed at this!

You're waaay overthinking it. But no, it's not the norm to 'banish' the agent. Trust me, they won't be hungrily writing your great grand design ideas down, but they will be judging how interested you are... grin

crispysausagerolls Thu 21-Mar-19 06:48:39

It’s empty - that’s why I thought might be ok.

Lol yes I know, I am overthinking it dramatically! But I really want the house and there are a few very sneaky ideas we have to utilitie the space well and I don’t want him to suggest them to anyone else!

Any other tips massively appreciated though!!!

TheMagicTorch Thu 21-Mar-19 06:50:41

I found with second viewings the estate agent just let us get on with it anyway as they didn't need to show us around again

HarrysOwl Thu 21-Mar-19 06:56:45

They hear house-renovation-chatter all the time, it'll just be in one ear and out the other!

Everyone will have different ideas about 'good' uses of space too, your plans will be individual to you.

I would be wary of coming across super keen, as if they know you absolutely love it then they're more likely to feed that back to the vendor and you might be pushed to a higher offer.

Put your poker face on. Check out the electrics, boiler, age of windows, roof, gutters (concrete?) ask about the property boundary, etc.

I love this bit of house buying!

MissSmith80 Thu 21-Mar-19 06:58:11

Second viewing (and third and fourth) of the empty property that we went on to buy - the agent just stayed in the living room and made calls while we got on with the viewing - he said that was standard procedure because we don't need him breathing down our necks and we should just let him know if we needed anything - so it may not be a problem at all (although do think you are overthinking this smile)

crispysausagerolls Thu 21-Mar-19 06:59:58

HarrysOwl

Great advice, thank you!

eggsandwich Thu 21-Mar-19 07:35:22

Oh for goodness sake my dh is an estate agent and he wouldn’t give a dam what you want to do with the property all he cares about is selling the property at the end of the day.

If the property is vacant then he will just go in a room that your not in, but you really are over thinking things.

Mog6840 Thu 21-Mar-19 07:37:17

I used to work in estate agency and for a second viewing like this I think the likeliness is they will let you in and just let you walk round by yourselves. You are over thinking it.

Phillipa12 Thu 21-Mar-19 07:47:17

I took my friends husband who is a builder when i went for a second viewing on a house. Estate agent stayed in the kitchen making calls whilst friends husband went round making sure the house was structurally sound and not a money pit, estate agent didnt even blink an eyelid when friends husband climbed out onto the roof.

NewPapaGuinea Thu 21-Mar-19 08:02:10

Alright, Sarah Beeny

crispysausagerolls Thu 21-Mar-19 08:07:31

Alright, Sarah Beeny

HA!!! 😂😂

crispysausagerolls Thu 21-Mar-19 17:26:10

Well he followed us round and was telling us other people’s ideas so turns out I wasn’t that crazy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »