Talk

Advanced search

To think that Teresa May's speech this evening was an absolute fucking disgrace?

(469 Posts)
Livingtothefull Wed 20-Mar-19 21:57:07

'You, the public, have had enough.
“You’re tired of the infighting, you’re tired of the political games and the arcane procedural rows, tired of MPs talking about nothing else but Brexit when you have real concerns about our children’s schools, our National Health Service, knife crime'.

“You want this stage of the Brexit process to be over and done with. I agree. I am on your side. ”

So: 'You’re tired of all the shit that my party and my government have caused eg through years of cuts to the health and police services. It's not my fault that Brexit has been so appallingly badly handled, I'm only the Prime Minister and it's everyone else's fault. So why not just let me have my way and things will all get better? I am a mindreader and presume to know what you want, even though I display zero empathy in my public utterances, and I know you all want Brexit (even though only a small proportion of the electorate actually voted for it, 3 years ago)'.

We’re finished as a country if this is the best we can do, it is just heartbreaking that our country has been brought to this. I cant believe that this woman is in a position of such power and represents our country.

I don't WANT you on my side, just get away from me.

33goingon64 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:59:40

Hear hear

mum2jakie Wed 20-Mar-19 22:00:11

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Nacknick Wed 20-Mar-19 22:00:23

I couldn't agree with you more OP.

GCAcademic Wed 20-Mar-19 22:00:42

The speech was chilling. It's unprecedented, as far as I know, for a Prime Minister to attack Parliament and attempt to turn the public against their elected representatives in this way. I've always thought she had an authoritarian streak, but she really revealed her true colours tonight. I think we are witnessing the end of democracy in this country.

Musicalstatues Wed 20-Mar-19 22:01:37

It was an absolute joke

Whatisthisfuckery Wed 20-Mar-19 22:02:58

With people on our side like her, who needs enemies, eh?

Havanananana Wed 20-Mar-19 22:04:50

Someone obviously doctored the speech, because the version leaked earlier in the afternoon was completely different:

When I stood before you over two years ago having been appointed Prime Minister, I promised to act in the best interests of the country and to lead a government for everyone – both those prospering and those who feel that they have been just about managing.

However after two years of indecision and in-fighting regarding Brexit I have come to the conclusion that there must be a change.

I am therefore giving notice that at the conclusion of this press conference, I will be handing a letter of resignation to Mr Fox, Mr Barclay, Mr Grayling, Mrs Leadsom, Mr Hunt and Mr Hancock. If they do not agree to resign, I will sack them with immediate effect.

Furthermore, I will be telling Johnson, Raab, Rees-Mogg, Bone, Patel, Truss and their supporters to either back my judgement or risk expulsion from the Party. My government will no longer be spaffing taxpayers’ money up the wall in support of the crackpot ideas of these fantasists.

With regards to Brexit, I have already informed Mr Barnier that the UK wishes to revoke the Article 50 notification. He has assured me that this will be no problem.

And now to the important issues.

For too long, successive governments of the United Kingdom have ignored the problems building up in our country. Access to decent employment, education, healthcare, social welfare, policing and transport has been restricted to the few at the expense of the many. I intend to change this. 30,000 of the countries brightest civil servants, who have wasted the last two years on the fool’s errand that was Brexit, will now be tasked with identifying the causes of these problems and with coming up with solutions. I expect to see results and I want every man, woman and child in the UK to feel the benefits of these initiatives – sooner rather than later.

Mr Hammond has already organised meetings with representatives of the Japanese business community to offer his sincere apologies in case they had formed the impression that they were no longer welcome in the UK. I will likewise be taking the earliest opportunity to speak to the executives at Airbus, BMW and all of the other German and European-owned companies that have pumped billions into the UK economy over recent years.

Finally, I have ordered that Dyson hand dryers be removed from all government and public facilities and Mr Hammond will be taking measures to investigate the tax affairs and ownership of the UK media.

Now if you will excuse me, I have work to get on with.

Lwmommy Wed 20-Mar-19 22:05:51

I am livid, absolutely furious about this whole shut show.

The country was/is divided on this issue as demonstrated by the referendum results, so of course parliament in divided too.

They can't agree so they need to call it off.

That speech tonight and her whole demeanor throughout negotiations, votes, amendments, debates... Abysmal!

Livingtothefull Wed 20-Mar-19 22:06:35

Thanks mum2jakie for posting the petition link, I've signed it.

AwdBovril Wed 20-Mar-19 22:06:47

We, the public, have had enough. Of her. And of Brexit. She needs to do whatever is necessary to buy her soul back from the devil, & stop trying to screw the nation over.

strathmore Wed 20-Mar-19 22:06:52

Well, she is no Churchill is she.

And 40 minutes late for a speech of less than 2 minutes.

parietal Wed 20-Mar-19 22:06:54

Havanananana for prime minister please

Jsmith99 Wed 20-Mar-19 22:08:55

Don’t blame me, I’m only the Prime Minister.

ShitAtScarbble Wed 20-Mar-19 22:10:32

I'm spitting tacks I'm so angry. How fucking dare she presume to know how I feel and what I want? She can't and she doesn't.
Don't fucking tell me what I'm sick of. Go ahead and say 52% of you are sick of blah blah blah but don't fucking lump me in it.
Jesus I'm pissed off.

KennDodd Wed 20-Mar-19 22:17:08

At least she's stopped saying she goes to Brussels knowing she has "65 million British people behind her"

FinnegansWhiskers Wed 20-Mar-19 22:18:50

I didn't see TM's speech today. All I can add to this thread is her dogged attempts at securing leave via her "deal" isnt a plan to leave the EU at all. Its a plan which pretends that UK will leave EU, yet still be tied to the EU, whilst the UK have to fork out big bucks for nothing....

What happened to David Cameron's vow of "Whatever the outcome of the referendum we will deliver"?

Looking at the state of play now we can safely lay this political car crash at Cameron's feet!

He should be the PM to go down history as the shittiest PM in history!

SeeYouLaterUserData Wed 20-Mar-19 22:18:55

Please everyone sign the petition. TM is a psycho.

stillpinching Wed 20-Mar-19 22:21:13

Completely agree.

nocoolnamesleft Wed 20-Mar-19 22:21:53

She's not on my fucking side.

supermodel Wed 20-Mar-19 22:22:47

Signed the petition too.

Tinyteatime Wed 20-Mar-19 22:22:52

Agreed. Although you have to hand it to her, admitting that her shitshow of a government have done literally FA to run the country in the time they’ve been passing around with Brexit. I’m sure she must be gearing up to go.

DangermousesSidekick Wed 20-Mar-19 22:25:01

We will always be tied to the EU, because we cannot ignore this huge united trading market that supplies us with the food we need right on our doorstep. It's saying nothing more revolutionary than that we will always be tied to Europe because we are just off its coast. This has been madness from the start.

Elloduckie Wed 20-Mar-19 22:25:08

Well look at whats trending now as a result:https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Tinyteatime Wed 20-Mar-19 22:25:13

*pissing

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »