Talk

Advanced search

HELP ME BALANCE MY VAG

(35 Posts)
Anonymousttc Wed 20-Mar-19 21:27:28

Right. I’ve NC for this (obv).
I’ve had BV a few times this year, and thrush twice.
Married and TTC - had full sexual health screen last year before starting TTC and all clear so know it’s nothing more nasty than this.

So clearly something I’m doing is keeping my vag out of whack - I’ve cut down on baths, wear cotton underwear, try to avoid tight jeans
I’ve heard that taking a good probiotic helps, any pointers as to which one?
Any other tips? Honestly I’m desperate to get her sorted now, poor love needs her PH back 🙏

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Thu 21-Mar-19 19:50:54

Always wee and wash with warm plain water after sex

I note you said you get it after your period- use towels but non sented ones, avoid tampons

I guess you are using the weeks course of gel for your bv? Make sure you aren’t having sex whilst using it

These were the things that got rid of mine a few months back (I too posted on here!)

Margot33 Thu 21-Mar-19 18:39:41

Sea salt in the bath and no bubble bath helps.

VictoriaBun Thu 21-Mar-19 18:36:24

Yes agree with another post, keep an eye on your sugar consumption , and weirdly some people who eat seafood also can get this.

Whatelsecouldibecalled Thu 21-Mar-19 18:30:55

TTC = lots of sex and just that alone can cause down below to get a bit out of whack. Use lube (sperm friendly eg pre seed) if not feeling totally up for it and dry down there can cause thrush and upset later on.

Get some acti gyn gel. It’s bloody brilliant stuff and ttc friendly. Helps balance out the ph in your vagina.

Reduce amount of sugar you eat to help with the thrush.

Anonymousttc Thu 21-Mar-19 18:27:51

You put garlic up there?!

crasstacean Wed 20-Mar-19 22:44:25

I put garlic up there recently. Doesn't work, and also I could taste it really strongly which was the weirdest thing I've experienced. So don't do that.

Think I'm messed up with baths and bath bombs. But since you're ttc, semen can upset your PH?

SharkSave Wed 20-Mar-19 22:37:17

How are you treating the thrush? I had to have a weeks worth of the oral tablet to clear mine completely. Doctor prescribed it.

I also wash all underwear at 60 degrees with non bio.

Treat your husband at the same time and avoid sex until you're symptom free.

AquarianSquirrel Wed 20-Mar-19 22:37:06

Try a keto (high fat, low carb diet). I suffered from thrush and cystitis for years and it's only now I drastically cut out sugar/carbs that I rarely get them. Had one small pancake as a treat yesterday and was itchy down below a few hours later. It's gone now so I know it was down to that!

Watch Dr. Berg and Dr. Berry videos on youtube for tips and background info of a ketogenic diet and keto connect for recipes. You can still eat dessert and make them yourself smile x

gamerchick Wed 20-Mar-19 22:36:07

Get the gel over the countertop for BV. Squeeze one up there at bedtime after anything involving your fanny. Period, sex, oral sex etc. I tend to use one once a week though. Took a bit of trial and error but seems to work quite well. Wear a pad though as you end up wet and uncomfortable otherwise.

jamoncrumpets Wed 20-Mar-19 22:29:49

Cloth menstrual pads saved my vag, I swear!

SleepOhHowIMissYou Wed 20-Mar-19 22:24:34

Caneston vaginal probiotics. Little pills of probiotic that you put inside the vagina. Use for 7 days during active thrush. Pop one in after sex to prevent thrush. Cleared my perpetual thrush. Wish I'd discovered these 30 years ago.

Hellobell0 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:51:45

I had this for months! Used bv gel once a week as maintenance,
Took acidophilus once a day- apparently there is no evidence for this but i read about it and it made such a difference ( i was probably in the same place of desperation as you are now!)

Also potassium citrate twice a day which is technically for utis but i felt it helped as it stopped infection anywhere! Xx

frankiefirstyear Wed 20-Mar-19 21:51:42

Do you have a shower that you can get the shower head down. That's been a blessing for me I literally get it and stand with it pointing up there! Twice a day I do that. Also sleep naked let the air at it. Maybe your washing powder- I switched to an eco egg plus napisan to kill laundry germs and no fabric conditioner. After sex do the shower thing too. It seems to help me also if I don't have it totally shaven I'm not talking major bushage just a mown lawn style

blueskiespls Wed 20-Mar-19 21:50:53

Definitely worth going to Holland Barrett or similar and getting probiotic capsules.
I cannot even have one bath, unless
I lay in it and not even wash my hair !

Are you taking any medication that could be having side effects?

64sNewName Wed 20-Mar-19 21:47:12

Arf at tight trainers affecting the vag. I mean, female biology is fairly mysterious though so you never know grin

YesQueen Wed 20-Mar-19 21:46:20

Balance activ I think is the BV gel

AmIRightOrAMeringue Wed 20-Mar-19 21:46:00

Trainers was meant to be pants! Sorry

64sNewName Wed 20-Mar-19 21:45:47

Oh cross post. Sorry, I’m so slow!

Can you tackle the bv without antibiotics? The gel stuff works well and is simple/gentle. They sell it at Boots near the lube etc.

You don’t want to end up in a cycle of ABs triggering thrush and then BV kicking in and more ABs being prescribed, and on and on.

AmIRightOrAMeringue Wed 20-Mar-19 21:45:17

Avoid alcohol and sugar and caffeine I think? Easier said than done I know
Cotton underwear
No tight jeans / leggings / trainers - get some air down there! If you wear pj's, keep your bottoms off for a while. Avoid pads unless completely necessary
Might be worth washing your underwear on a really hot wash, if you wash at 30 it might not get rid of everything
Have you recently came off hormonal birth control or anything? Change in hormones can set things off.

Divgirl2 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:43:19

Seconding mooncup if it's happening after every period. She's definitely not enjoying the current sanitary regime.

64sNewName Wed 20-Mar-19 21:42:54

I’m sure I have read that if the pH of your dh’s semen is wrong for your particular vag (I don’t really know any details about ideal pH) it can trigger BV symptoms after sex. But that sounds like made-up nonsense when I look at it typed out here blush And I’m also not very sure what you’d do about it.

But good advice above about getting your dh to ensure he hasn’t got thrush, anyway.

Treaclesweet Wed 20-Mar-19 21:41:35

I would ditch the pads and tampons & switch to mooncup or similar. Spend lots of time giving her air when you can!

sproutsandparsnips Wed 20-Mar-19 21:40:01

You can get stuff to regulate the pH like a gel. The name escapes me now......

Anonymousttc Wed 20-Mar-19 21:39:14

Husband treated too. Anti b’s for last lot of BV to get rid, no thrush straight after but a month or so down the line. Always pretty much guaranteed after period.

And not pregnant.

Reters Wed 20-Mar-19 21:38:40

Are you taking any medication for anything non vag related?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »