Talk

Advanced search

To go back to the Dr???

(14 Posts)
HelenMummyof2 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:49:41

Hoping someone has some experience of this and can offer an insight or advice.

I have DD 10 months, done posts before about her being a poor sleeper etc.

Anyway, last week I started a sleep diary as I rang a sleep consultant. What's really clear from the diary is that DD is clearly suffering nightly tummy issues. She wakes within 30-40 mins of being put down wriggling, drawing her knees up and generally thrashing about. Sometimes she's awake sometimes she's asleep when doing this. It's worse the second half of the night.

She will wake at least 15 times per night writhing around. She can also be awake for several hours at a time. I massage her tummy and do bicycle legs sometimes getting wind out sometimes not. She trumps a lot during some of the writhing sessions.

Sleep consultant says that there a clear medical issue. DD is not like this in the day.

Saw GP yesterday who was quite good, saw there is a problem and prescribed gaviscon. But when I've read it I'm not sure its actually gonna to help DD tummy. Used it last night and had a terrible night of tummy ache.

Pharmacist thought DD might be lactose intolerant so ive got her on lactose free milk and food.

Tonight is an all time low though, she's kicking and scratching, crying in pain and very unsettled. It's going to be a long night!

I'm just not convinced we have to the bottom of the issues - she's been unsettled and had tummy issues since birth.

Anyone had similar issues with their baby?

AIBU to to back to Dr and demand more tests??

Thanks for reading

SeaToSki Wed 20-Mar-19 20:54:29

YES. back to the GP. Trust your instincts.

endofthelinefinally Wed 20-Mar-19 20:54:38

I would take her back and take the food and sleep diary.
She may be intolerant to something but it might not be lactose.
Take a list of the ingredients in the formula you are using.

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 20-Mar-19 20:56:53

I think you need to give the gaviscon a bit longer and make another apointment on monday if no improvement.

HelenMummyof2 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:57:14

Thank you for replying.

The reason I think it MAY be lactose is that the issues pre dates weaning. I've tried 5 different milks (over her 10 month life)

QuestionableMouse Wed 20-Mar-19 21:00:08

Might be CMPA but the milk is super expensive so getting it diagnosed can be hard.

Try raising the head of the bed a bit to see if that helps (would indicate reflux if it helps)

MynameisJune Wed 20-Mar-19 21:04:48

It will take a week or so for the lactose to leave her system I think. So she will still be in pain now even with the new milk.

Gaviscon can make babies constipated though so not sure that will help.

HelenMummyof2 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:07:33

Thanks mynameisjune - that's whet I thought, not sure Gaviscon can help but when the GP says take it it's hard to know what to do for the best!

IHateUncleJamie Wed 20-Mar-19 21:12:56

Definitely go back to the GP. It couldn’t be trapped wind, could it? I’m assuming you’ve already tried Infacol or something similar just in case. That used to affect my dd much more at night and can be really painful.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Wed 20-Mar-19 21:15:35

Primary lactose intolerance is highly unlikely in an infant more likely to be cows milk protein allergy and would need to be dairy free to see if this was the reason not lactose free. Cows milk protein is in many foods hidden in things like crisps and gravy for example. Often CMPA is combined with soya allergy also but not always.

You should notice a difference in a week but takes 3 weeks for the proteins to full ,leave the system.

If BF you need to be dairy free and will take a full 6 weeks to be out of babies system as takes 3 weeks out of yours then the subsequent 3 weeks from them.

You will have noticed other symptoms though if she has an intolerance she would have nasty green poos from really frothy to the other extreme of constipation, some experience blood in stools, skin reactions so rashes etc. Unlikely just to cause stomach issues at night but no harm in ruling it out.

cindersrella Wed 20-Mar-19 21:27:28

Oh yes, my daughter used to wake anywhere between 11.30 & 2.30. She had lactose and protein intolerance. I changed her once she had had stool test to lactose free milk (soya milk) butter and all other foods were free too, she still wasn't 100% so she was referred to a dietician plus the doc prescribed her ranitidine to help with acids in tummy. It tools around 4 months for her to be properly diagnosed, private consultant appts as docs made me feel like I was going mad. She is 4 now and has become more tolerant of dairy now but if she still can't drink cows milk in a cup and if she has a build up she has an eczema flair up.

cindersrella Wed 20-Mar-19 21:30:08

Just to add, she had to have bloods, stool samples and endoscopy too but all of these showed up negative to intolerances and allergies. The endoscopy was because it seemed whenever she had bread she used to get unsettled and we thought she may have been coeliac but luckily she wasn't.

She now has pat milk as soya also flairs up eczema

cindersrella Wed 20-Mar-19 21:30:21

Ugh! Soya milk

cindersrella Wed 20-Mar-19 21:30:43

Ffs, she now has oat milk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »