Talk

Advanced search

Is this CP normal?

(40 Posts)
Loveinstantcat Wed 20-Mar-19 20:36:39

My DS who is 3 has caught chicken pox and is covered head to toe. He has them on his penis, in his mouth and one on the lower lash line. He cant eat, drink, wee, poo without crying which I know is normal.

We are on day 6 and I cant even put cream on him without him crying in pain. I have given him several bicarb and or oat baths bit he cant even lie down in the bath as he cries and says it hurts. Even wearing clothes hurts him so is naked all the time. Is it normal to be so sore? He doesnt say they are itchy just really really sore and hurts. All my friends DC's have been so itchy but not hurt to the point of crying?

I've never had experience of CP before so any info would be appreciated. I'm giving calpol and piriton and also using poxclin as virasoothe wasnt working

slipperywhensparticus Wed 20-Mar-19 20:38:03

Are they drying up yet?

dementedpixie Wed 20-Mar-19 20:39:27

No that doesn't sound like a normal dose of chicken pox. Are they starting to scab over?

dementedpixie Wed 20-Mar-19 20:40:20

Have you spoken to the gp if he isn't eating or drinking?

Loveinstantcat Wed 20-Mar-19 20:40:29

A few have scabbed but there are some which are huge and still open wounds. He is absolutely covered in them so I would say only 20% are scabbed

AIBUtopickanyoldname Wed 20-Mar-19 20:40:56

My DD had it terribly. They were everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I still have a photo of her at peak chicken pox and there’s hardly a clear patch of skin to be seen. It was horrendous for about six or seven days and then she turned a corner and pretty soon it was all over. Poor little guy, I hope it’s over soon.

Have you tried putting oats in a pair of tights and soaking it in his bath? That helps with the itch.

dementedpixie Wed 20-Mar-19 20:41:23

I'd consult a gp as some could be infected

Loveinstantcat Wed 20-Mar-19 20:41:34

He has water or milk for drink and I manage to get yoghurts, custard etc in him as long as he doesnt have to chew

BobIsNotYourUncle Wed 20-Mar-19 20:41:56

Sounds like you may need to take him to the GP.

dementedpixie Wed 20-Mar-19 20:42:33

And are you avoiding ibuprofen as that can make skin reactions worse?

altiara Wed 20-Mar-19 20:43:06

My DS had CP when he was 1, he had huge spots and they looked infected, one was practically in his eye. I took him to the doctor and got given antibiotics I think.

Mokepon Wed 20-Mar-19 20:43:31

When my daughter had CP I think I pretty much held and rocked her for 3 days straight. I was destroyed. She was the same age as your ds.
She had spots everywhere and we only realised when she was on the mend that they were in her mouth and throat as well.
The bath helped though.
If you really think he's in pain and it isn't merely itching and grouchy I'd call the GP for advice.
It's tough but it will pass.

Loveinstantcat Wed 20-Mar-19 20:43:53

Yes, no ibuprofen just calpol. It's getting to the point that when I put the cream on he almost shakes because hes knows it's going to hurt. When he puts pants on he cries saying it really hurts

Soubriquet Wed 20-Mar-19 20:44:55

Oh the poor little soul

They sound terrible

My ds needed antibiotics with his as they became infected

Sounds like your dc’s has gone the same way.

I would be contacting a doctor in the morning tbh

geekone Wed 20-Mar-19 20:45:01

Has he had ibuprofen/Nurofen/calprofen? Just in case you don’t know never give a child with chicken pox ibuprofen products. If you have that might be the problem. Call 111 even if you haven’t though, that doesn’t sound normal chicken pox.
Good luck.

Tolleshunt Wed 20-Mar-19 20:45:28

I would be a bit worried about the spot on his lash line, plus he seems to be suffering more severely than the norm. I would be making an appointment with the GP tomorrow, or at least ringing for advice (they may not want him in the surgery).

Poor little mite. Hope he's better soon.

geekone Wed 20-Mar-19 20:45:42

Just saw update. Good news, no ibuprofen.

BobIsNotYourUncle Wed 20-Mar-19 20:47:40

I would be worried about the spots on his lash and in his mouth.

I had chicken pox this badly as a child.

Sexnotgender Wed 20-Mar-19 20:48:01

I’d call the doctor. My DD ended up in hospital with chicken pox.

Whatsername7 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:50:58

Use aveeno cream. Right now. Honestly, when dd was at her poorlyist it was theonly thing that helped.

Loveinstantcat Wed 20-Mar-19 20:51:46

How do you know when they are infected? Do they look different to a normal spot? It might explain why he flinches when I touch him sad

BobIsNotYourUncle Wed 20-Mar-19 20:55:08

Red, hot and painful.

Cheby Wed 20-Mar-19 20:56:31

DD1 was like this. She couldnt cope with baths or cream or Poxcilin mousse either. She could just about cope with a cool damp flannel gently dabbed on her, which she managed to do herself some of the time. She couldn’t wear a nappy, her vulva was covered in them. Every time she did a wee she was screaming in agony. We didn’t sleep for more than 40 mins at a time for 3 nights, because she would hold her wee due to the pain, fall asleep, start to wet herself when she relaxed, woke up screaming in pain, stopped weeping, still hadn’t emptied her bladder so the whole thing happened again as soon as she fell back asleep. It was horrid.

She was also in pain rather than itching, poor thing. She did get better, didn’t need hospital. But Christ it was awful while it lasted.

DD2 has been vaccinated privately.

Iamverylittle Wed 20-Mar-19 20:56:55

Please go to the GP. Both DC ended up with antibiotics as so many spots in so many places and there was the risk of infection. Antibiotics also stopped all itching.

Soubriquet Wed 20-Mar-19 21:01:52

These are ds’s when they were infected

The ones around his lower mouth look very angry red.

They were the infected ones

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »