Talk

Advanced search

. . . to be completely mystified by what just happened?!

(132 Posts)
RedPandaFluff Wed 20-Mar-19 19:47:55

Just had a physio appointment for a suspected sprained Achilles.

Expectation: I would go in, give a history, physio would examine me, move me around a bit, look at my posture/alignment etc., maybe an ultrasound of the area, given some exercises to do and told to come back in a week.

What actually happened:
Laid flat on my back, made to do knee raises and leg lifts while he tapped the soles of my feet, abruptly slapped my calf muscles, poked around my knee with a sharp wooden stick, told to touch the side of my neck with two fingers, and he even occasionally tapped me on the nose.

Yes. TAPPED ME ON THE NOSE.

I left, completely bewildered, with tape along my calf muscle.

I have no idea what just happened. I was so shocked that when he replied "functional neurology" to my question of "er . . . so, what was that?!" I just accepted it, said thank you, smiled and left.

AIBU to think that was an absolute waste of £50?!

dudsville Wed 20-Mar-19 19:49:38

None of my physio appointments every looked like that, what an odd experience!

oneforthepain Wed 20-Mar-19 19:52:49

This sounds like one of the Smack the Pony sketches...

BigFatGiant Wed 20-Mar-19 19:54:41

You accidentally walked onto the set of the money pithon reunion you silly billy.

oneforthepain Wed 20-Mar-19 19:57:19

Could have been worse... m.youtube.com/watch?v=FczIrs0GGz4

PaulineK32 Wed 20-Mar-19 19:57:38

Is it rocktape he put on your calf?

CassandraCross Wed 20-Mar-19 19:58:46

That sounds very odd, are you sure the person you saw was a proper physiotherapist?

The nose tapping - just wtf???

HotpotLawyer Wed 20-Mar-19 20:02:12

What did the sign above the door say?

heartshapedknob Wed 20-Mar-19 20:05:00

Was it definitely a qualified physio and not a chiropractor? I saw one of those once, he tried to tell me that the long term, clinical depression I wasn’t there to see him about could be overcome with a choice to be happy and homeopathy. I did not go back.

thedisorganisedmum Wed 20-Mar-19 20:06:20

did he tape you on the nose to distract you whilst poking somewhere else?

(and by somewhere else I mean around the calf area!)

Frustratedmummy79 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:07:12

You can check if they are a registered physiotherapist here
www.hcpc-uk.org/check-the-register/
It doesn’t sound like any kind of musculoskeletal assessment that I’ve ever seen or done

ambereeree Wed 20-Mar-19 20:08:57

I'm reminded of friends when Ross pretends to be a masseuse and uses wooden spoons!

RedBerryTea Wed 20-Mar-19 20:10:51

Check if this 'physio' is actually registered with their professional body.

flapjackfairy Wed 20-Mar-19 20:10:57

I am laughing at the britishness of it all. Smiling politely and even thanking them on leaving! Classic British behaviour .

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Wed 20-Mar-19 20:12:06

The key question is: Are you feeling any better/healed?

Because if so, he's a miracle worker!!!!

winecigsandchoc Wed 20-Mar-19 20:13:20

Ah the old "nose tap and calf wobble" technique. Standard treatment for a sprained Achilles of course.

picklemepopcorn Wed 20-Mar-19 20:14:59

Does sound more like reflex testing than physio. How odd. Will there be a results appointment?

Looobyloo Wed 20-Mar-19 20:15:10

He tapped you on the nose?! grin I've seen lots of photos for various running injuries none have ever tapped my nose. Sounds a bit dodgy (and funny) sorry.

JustHereForThePooStories Wed 20-Mar-19 20:15:52

Are you sure he was a registered Nosetappologist?

MaggieAndHopey Wed 20-Mar-19 20:15:53

Sounds like chiropractic woo to me.

RedPandaFluff Wed 20-Mar-19 20:16:38

Sadly my ankle is still swollen and painful so I think I may have to resort to more traditional methods!

Oh, that's another weird thing, I asked him if I should take ibuprofen (thinking an anti-inflammatory would help) and he said "no, I disagree with pain relief" . . . huh?! But my poor little brain was already reeling too much to cope with that one too 😁

I'll check if he's registered but it's a proper fancy clinic in the city centre, and I had definitely booked a "new patient musculoskeletal assessment" . . . I do need to google "functional neurology" to see if it makes any sense.

nocoolnamesleft Wed 20-Mar-19 20:17:17

Did you not know, when Achilles' mother, the immortal Thetis, dipped her baby son in the river Styx in an attempt to confer invulnerability, she held him by his ankle and his nose? All becomes clear...

RedPandaFluff Wed 20-Mar-19 20:17:16

I'm giggling at these responses . . . !

BertieBotts Wed 20-Mar-19 20:18:32

Yeah "disagree with pain relief" sounds like a chiropractor...

BertieBotts Wed 20-Mar-19 20:19:31

Maybe it was Emotional Freedom Technique? My mum got me to go for that once, the woman tried to cure me of a fear of wasps/needles by getting me to tap on the side of my hand and saying that I release the fear confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »