Talk

Advanced search

To correct the teacher. (Light-hearted)

(24 Posts)
Wallywobbles Wed 20-Mar-19 18:57:11

My kids are at school in France and as part of their vocabulary test in English this week they have had to learn the word cunny.

The teacher insists that this means the same as cunning despite one of my kids pointing out that it means vagina. She did it one to one to not cause any embarrassment. But it would seem the teacher has taken a fairly hard line on this.

Would I be unreasonable to send her an email politely pointing out that teaching kids a slang word for vagina is perhaps not a great idea.

LeadMeToTheChocolate Wed 20-Mar-19 18:58:21

😂😂😂 send the email, how could they get it so wrong?

GoofyIsACow Wed 20-Mar-19 18:58:42

😂

AintNobodyHereButUsReindeer Wed 20-Mar-19 18:59:31

Yep, send that email grin grin grin

blackteasplease Wed 20-Mar-19 18:59:52

God no! You must send the email.

The teacher may be thinking of canny?

whippersnapperwrapper Wed 20-Mar-19 18:59:58

Did she mean 'canny' ??shock

Hamsternauts Wed 20-Mar-19 19:01:35

She might already have realised by now if she checked afterwards. You could see uf she corrects it herself. I probably wouldn't say anything so i didn't annoy her!

pigsDOfly Wed 20-Mar-19 19:02:44

I've never heard that expression, obviously lead a sheltered life.

It certainly isn't any English word I've come across before.

Is it possible it's meant to be canny? Although that doesn't mean cunning either unless you're using a very loose interpretation.

pigsDOfly Wed 20-Mar-19 19:03:42

Ah see others have come up with the canny explanation as well.

Skittlesss Wed 20-Mar-19 19:04:18

grin you need to tell her. Perhaps a link to a site confirming this (urban dictionary?)

PotteringAlong Wed 20-Mar-19 19:05:25

I don’t know the word cunny...

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Wed 20-Mar-19 19:06:25

cunny
[ˈkʌni]

NOUN
vulgar slang
a woman's genitals.
women in general, considered sexually.

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Wed 20-Mar-19 19:07:02

I’ve never heard that before! I just text dp ‘I’ve got a pain in my cunny!’ He replied ‘in your what?!’ Is it a regional thing?

H0wt0kn0w Wed 20-Mar-19 19:07:48

Oh boy! I would tell her!
If she's not open to correction from a native speaker, then she has decided to stop learning which is never a good idea.

ataleoftwothenthreethenfour Wed 20-Mar-19 19:11:41

I wouldn't bother correcting her, if your child telling her didn't make her look it up, then there's really no point, and you probably have other fish to fry.
I'm amazed your kids knew what it meant, I wouldn't have done when I was at school, I think I have only ever seen it in literature, maybe something like Tipping the Velvet or similar.

Pinkcar21 Wed 20-Mar-19 19:13:20

Omg you have to correct her! I’ve definitely read a play or something where cunny is frequently used to mean vagina.

Magenta82 Wed 20-Mar-19 19:13:43

I'd tell her, those kids could get into awkward situations in future!

Wallywobbles Wed 20-Mar-19 20:24:07

You can imagine the kids going on their school trip to the UK going oh so and so's very cunny, in a French accent. Confirming the worst view of the Frogs.

Right email it is.

Alieeeeeens Wed 20-Mar-19 20:29:47

Teacher here - definitely correct her that’s hilarious 😂

Maybe she meant funny? (F above c on a keyboard and she might be trying to save face?)

IhateBoswell Wed 20-Mar-19 20:34:43

The first time I heard cunny was in the movie Unforgiven, and I haven’t heard it since.

I’d immediately think ‘lingus’ if I did hear it randomly though, I’d email!

Wallywobbles Wed 20-Mar-19 20:49:14

In collège French it means cunilingus too

Wallywobbles Thu 21-Mar-19 10:15:59

Had a very sweet and embarrassed email back from the teacher this morning. She was aiming for cunning.

SirGawain Thu 21-Mar-19 10:22:33

The Oxford Dictionary gives the sexual definition:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cunny

Alieeeeeens Thu 21-Mar-19 10:42:02

Oh bless her - we’ve all made embarrassing typos before!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: