Talk

Advanced search

To be frustrated (work situation)

(8 Posts)
Slippingcareer Wed 20-Mar-19 13:40:53

I started a new job the same day as a colleague. We were 2 people as part of a 4 person team essentially doing the same role. He’s a pleasant man, I’ve no issue with him personally. I found out my starting salary was slightly higher than his, but my previous experience was more relevant to the role than his.

6 months into the job I get pregnant, and after only 3.5mths into the pregnancy I was no longer fit to go to work. I ended up working part time from home until I had the baby and now I’m on maternity leave.

There are very limited progression opportunities in the company but I’ve just found out he has been promoted.

I’m pleased for him, he works hard, and has done very well. But I feel so let down by myself, we started on a level playing field, he’s done great, and by the time I go back I’ll effectively be a new starter again.

PlugUgly1980 Wed 20-Mar-19 13:45:13

Work really hard when you go back (assuming you are) and line yourself up for the next promotion. If he's that keen to progress he could well move on / leave the company depending on how long your off for. Don't be disheartened, I know you said opportunities are limited but you never know what's round the next corner. I was promoted to a senior role after only a couple months back after my second round of mat leave in close succession. It can happen.

BluebadgenPIP Wed 20-Mar-19 13:49:22

Oh that sounds tough. Did you get the chance to apply for the role?

Slippingcareer Wed 20-Mar-19 13:56:03

@BluebadgenPIP yes I was informed I could apply but realistically I had about 7mths maternity leave left so I thought it was pointless. I also have lingering health problems from the pregnancy so I’m not even sure how I’ll manage when I go back.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Wed 20-Mar-19 13:58:16

What is your actual AIBU though?

Of course you can feel frustrated. Only you know what steps are manageable to resolve the situation

BluebadgenPIP Wed 20-Mar-19 14:18:13

Well, if that’s the case I don’t understand why you’re frustrated with him?

Slippingcareer Wed 20-Mar-19 16:37:12

I’m not frustrated with him, I’m frustrated with the fact that my career is stalling. I realistically can’t compete when I’ve had a long period of having to work restricted hours from home, and then being on maternity leave.

theworldistoosmall Wed 20-Mar-19 16:40:59

I know it's hard when you have health issues and work. At the moment all you can do is enjoy the rest of your maternity leave and work on your health.
It's a temporary glitch

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »