Talk

Advanced search

To ask how old you can be before a high sleeper is no good?

(44 Posts)
Bobcatcornea Wed 20-Mar-19 09:29:36

How old were your DC when they stopped using it / couldn't use it anymore? Looking into one for our relatively tall 7 year old DSD but wondering if it's worth it if she's going to outgrow it in a couple of years. Limited on storage space so trying to maximise as much as possible.

SaucyJack Wed 20-Mar-19 09:31:04

We’ve just bought one for my averagely sized 14 year old.

Bobcatcornea Wed 20-Mar-19 09:36:08

That's reassuring @SaucyJack. It's a shame I don't know anybody irl we could go and try one out for her.

edenhills Wed 20-Mar-19 09:39:29

Just bought my 9 year old one with a desk under. It is a full size single. Bought second hand from a family who had a 16 year old girl sleeping in it until last week. Could you try one out in a bed shop?

keepingbees Wed 20-Mar-19 09:42:38

They are usually standard size singles so shouldn't be outgrown in that way.
Ikea do them and their beds are not standard Uk sizes, I think they are a little bigger, so might be worth a look if you did want something bigger.

TrashPanda Wed 20-Mar-19 09:42:42

I had one until I was 16 but I am short grin

ToastyFingers Wed 20-Mar-19 09:45:50

I had one until 16 but would have liked to replace it from about 13. They're not very good for sleepovers but otherwise I'd think you'd have a good few years of use.

IncrediblySadToo Wed 20-Mar-19 09:46:13

My reasonably tall cousin has SN & still lives at home (always will) he still comfortably sleeps in his in his 30’s. He prefers the desk space. (Sex isn’t going to be happening anyway.)

foxtiger Wed 20-Mar-19 09:49:06

I'm 53 and I would really like one (if I wasn't married and in need of a double bed)!

thecatsthecats Wed 20-Mar-19 09:50:00

A midi sleeper with drawers under could be a good compromise if you're worried about longevity?

I personally find that a high sleeper makes a small room looks smaller, somehow - the bed works as seating/social space at a lower level, but not high up.

BareBelliedSneetch Wed 20-Mar-19 09:55:16

Ikea has ones that have a double bed at the top. So that needn’t stop you!

drspouse Wed 20-Mar-19 10:02:23

Ooh can I hijack and ask about the small room issue?
Our DD has a small room and is still in her cot (as in, Ikea cot turned into a bed with the side off - not cot bed) aged 4.
We are planning a high sleeper with a desk when she's older (at least 6 but she's a wee dot so will probably fit into her cot till 7 or older!). The room is very tall, not sure if that will help?

Triskaidekaphilia Wed 20-Mar-19 10:06:19

I had mine til I was 18/19 and I'm 5'7". Was definitely a full size single though.

BeautyWasTheBeast Wed 20-Mar-19 10:28:55

I had mine until I left home at 21. I'm 5ft 7.

reallyanotherone Wed 20-Mar-19 10:39:24

They’re a pain in the arse to strip and remake.

Like pp said in a small room it actually reduces the space available- it’s difficult to sit and read or chat with your child at bedtime for example.

It seemed like a good idea at the time but i wouldn’t get another.

drspouse Wed 20-Mar-19 11:58:55

Our DS has a bunk bed and we put a set of fitted sheets on the top bunk about once a month and take them off to wash weekly.
I am wondering about the ones with the steps if we do get one as they seem easier for adults!

drspouse Wed 20-Mar-19 11:59:11

(DS now chooses to sleep in the bottom bunk actually)

Bobcatcornea Wed 20-Mar-19 14:24:28

Sorry I meant outgrow in the sense that will her head be too close to the ceiling?

Bobcatcornea Wed 20-Mar-19 14:26:10

Interesting that they make the room seem smaller.

@drspouse where do you get ones with steps? They sound so useful?

Re chatting and reading etc, can't you join them on the bed? Currently we sit on her bed with her to read, would that not be an option with a high sleeper?

Phoenixwars Wed 20-Mar-19 14:27:46

They are usually a full size single bed. My DS still uses his and he’s 6ft!

Tinty Wed 20-Mar-19 14:29:48

I agree with PP get a mid sleeper. It is high enough for storage underneath and for you to stand next to her at bedtime and read. But low enough that it should last a lot longer than an actual high sleeper, unless you have high ceilings.

CheshireChat Wed 20-Mar-19 14:34:21

I want one and I'm grown up (admittedly a very short grown up). You can actually get king size ones.

You do need high ceilings though, why don't you measure how much room you'd have above it.

Not sure it would be to read on the bed, we use a bean bag to read on as my kid has a mid sleeper.

hennybeans Wed 20-Mar-19 14:37:28

We have a really sturdy, expensive high sleeper that was here from the previous owners and ds slept in it until he was 9. He felt it was babyish so younger ds is in it now at 6. I've slept in it and I'm not small and it was fine. Plenty of room, didn't wobble or feel uncomfortable but...I wouldn't recommend one if you can help it as they are a right pain to change sheets, very hot in summer as they are high off the ground and heat rises, and none of my three DC particularly want to sleep in it. I would get a normal bed with drawers underneath for storage.

NannyRed Wed 20-Mar-19 14:39:14

Er..... my brother slept in his high sleeper cabin bed until he left my parents home to marry.

I think the size of the bed is most important here, a regular single bed fits anyone for ever.

Arpafeelie Wed 20-Mar-19 14:51:52

DD had her midi sleeper till she was 22.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »