Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours dog pissing in front of our house (pic)

(136 Posts)
countrygardenx Wed 20-Mar-19 09:24:15

Would you knock on and ask them to stop letting there dog go outside our house or aibu?

I can't stand the smell of dog piss I have a dog but he goes out the back.

Buster72 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:25:58

It's well away from your garden. YABU.
Unless you bend at the knees and sniff it up you won't smell it above the usual traffic fumes

Iltavilli Wed 20-Mar-19 09:29:22

As someone who’s dog just won’t go in the garden, I’ve sympathy with the neighbour a little. Ours sometimes wees on the way to the park (a two min walk) although we try to make sure he doesn’t.
Does your neighbour just walk him on he street or is he just having a slip on the way somewhere else?

DisplayPurposesOnly Wed 20-Mar-19 09:30:59

YABU

Bluntness100 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:31:28

As it's going on the pavement and not on your property, then yes you're being unreasonable, the dog is permitted to pee there. And you can't stop every dog peeing there.

Dog pee just gets washed away with the rain though, so I'm not sure of the issue.

FishesaPlenty Wed 20-Mar-19 09:31:51

YABVU. You want the dog to cross its legs for a minute and piss outside next door's house instead?

SavageBeauty73 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:32:37

Rather than take a photo, pour water if it bothers you 🤷‍♀️

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:33:58

Yabu

Honeyroar Wed 20-Mar-19 09:34:50

I can understand your irritation. One of my neighbour’s dogs pees on our gatepost every day, then my male dogs pee on top of it if I don’t catch them quick enough and it’s just getting smellier and smellier.

You just need to Chuck a bowl I’d water and washing up liquid over it and it’s gone though.

Floralnomad Wed 20-Mar-19 09:35:03

YABU and a bit ridiculous .

ginghamstarfish Wed 20-Mar-19 09:35:19

Bucket of bleach/disinfectant/detergent over the area might help to deter it.

harriethoyle Wed 20-Mar-19 09:35:24

You're being utterly ludicrous. It's the pavement not your garden.

Janedoughnut Wed 20-Mar-19 09:35:52

I wouldn't like it but I don't think you can say anything without looking a bit odd.

Can ibe nosy and ask if your gap is a large path or a small driveway for a smart car.

jeanniebrownhair Wed 20-Mar-19 09:36:43

and that is why I ask people to take their shoes off when they come in to our house smile

OP I think if you pour disinfectant on it the dog won't pee there any more.

flumpybear Wed 20-Mar-19 09:36:47

Take your dog to piss outside their house shockwink

countrygardenx Wed 20-Mar-19 09:37:28

Honestly I just can't bare the smell it's so strong never known dog pee to smell like it.

BigButtonsOnMyPhone Wed 20-Mar-19 09:38:18

I work at home and used to watch dogs weeing on my gates all the time - I think once one dog pees somewhere, they all do. I bought a spray from the garden center and put it on the gates - the peeing stopped immediately and has never restarted.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Wed 20-Mar-19 09:39:59

Just slosh a bowl of soapy water over it. Sorted.

YABU and a bit precious over the pavement outside your property.

FriarTuck Wed 20-Mar-19 09:40:18

I think once one dog pees somewhere, they all do
They do. OP would be better off getting outside with some strong disinfectant & that might deter any and all dogs.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 20-Mar-19 09:44:35

It’s on the pavement.

YABU

FrancisCrawford Wed 20-Mar-19 09:46:24

Chuck some bleach on it

Sorted

Climbingahoneytree Wed 20-Mar-19 09:47:30

YABVU. It's a public pavement.
Slosh some diluted disinfectant over it but dogs pee over other dogs pee.
If you speak to your neighbour about this I would expect a bit of a bad reaction rightly so

countrygardenx Wed 20-Mar-19 09:47:43

I know it's on the pavement but when DS jumps out of the car there is usually a puddle of piss. Any hoo I will try disinfectant see if that works!

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Wed 20-Mar-19 09:48:49

Zoflora the pavement

GreatDuckCookery6211 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:48:50

Are they with the dog when he pees? Just throw some hot water and bleach down, he’s obviously got into the habit because of the scent. Tbh you can’t stop a dog from cocking his leg for a pee once they started!

BiscuitDrama Wed 20-Mar-19 09:48:51

I think vinegar neutralises it so other dogs won’t then go on top.

Bahhhhhumbug Wed 20-Mar-19 09:51:46

Yabvu, as long as dog owners pick up after their dogs which let's face it we still struggle to get all dog owners to do, then we can hardly start trying to police where they wee.
Also l presume your ba k garden doesn't stink yet you let your dog wee there so what's the difference.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 20-Mar-19 09:51:52

Park somewhere else?

MyKingdomForACaramel Wed 20-Mar-19 09:52:16

You’re being a bit silly - dogs do Wee on pavements. However you can either - buy a special disinfectant that’s made to discourage dogs from peeing in am certain area, or also biological washing liquid works too (not non bio)

PigletJohn Wed 20-Mar-19 09:53:46

Keep a watering can on the doorstep.

Water and a dash of disinfectant or household cleaner.

Tip it over the peeing spot as often as you can.

RustyBear Wed 20-Mar-19 09:54:11

Keep a spray bottle handy and if you can get to the gate quickly, get out there as soon as you see him coming. If the neighbour sees you spraying it might get the message through.

Myheartbelongsto Wed 20-Mar-19 09:54:16

I'd knock in and say it to your neighbour. At first I thought you but actually I wouldn't like to have to dodge that when walking into my house.

Ollypops14 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:54:37

Invite the dog in to use the toilet !!!!

greenelephantscarf Wed 20-Mar-19 09:55:20

yanbu
spray bottle with perfume (those christmas gifts) or garlic powder/chilli powder diluted in water and sprayed on as deterrent.
it's well possible that a fox also marks there...

NutElla5x Wed 20-Mar-19 09:56:28

I would think you were mental if you knocked on my door to complain that my dog was peeing on the pavement. Haha wtaf?!!!

Bookworm4 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:56:47

I'm sorry but FFS was my immediate response. How dare a dog pee on a public road, get a grip, I highly doubt there's 'a puddle of pee' I'm sure your darling DS can step over it.

spiderlight Wed 20-Mar-19 09:59:18

Warm water and bio washing powder will clear it and will break down the smell, which might deter him from doing it there again.

Climbingahoneytree Wed 20-Mar-19 10:00:24

I know it's on the pavement but when DS jumps out of the car there is usually a puddle of piss.

Park somewhere else. This is a problem you could have literally anywhere.

Motherofcreek Wed 20-Mar-19 10:01:48

I’d absolutely knock on and ask her to stop it. Horrible.

Widowodiw Wed 20-Mar-19 10:01:50

It’s on the pavement and not on your property so you are being unreasonable I’m afraid.

CabbageHippy Wed 20-Mar-19 10:02:18

what do you want them to do, cork the dog until it passes your driveway?

countrygardenx Wed 20-Mar-19 10:02:45

@Bookworm4 why do you highly doubt it? Of course there will be a puddle it all trickles down.

I just can't understand why you would let your dog go and piss in front of your neighbours house.

Ilovelala Wed 20-Mar-19 10:03:19

Where do you want it to go? Anywhere but near your house or what?

countrygardenx Wed 20-Mar-19 10:04:40

@Ilovelala in there back garden maybe?

CardinalCat Wed 20-Mar-19 10:06:13

You're being a little bit unreasonable I think.

If I'm walking the dogs and they look like they're going to pee or poo right outside someone's house, I try to cajole them along a bit so that they do it away from the drive or gate. that's good manners. However, it's a public pavement I presume, and I'm not sure there's much you can do short of giving it a blast with the pressure washer every time it happens, which will perhaps get the message across to your neighbour (but is also licence for them to call you hyacinth bucket and laugh at you a bit.) Are you close to your neighbours? I wouldn't risk a good relationship over this. I also don't think it's a bad lesson for your child to learn that he has to watch where he puts his feet in general, when getting out of a car/ walking along a pavement, if there's what looks like a stream of piss.
That's not to say I don't have some sympathy for your situation though- it's a little thoughtless of your neighbour but I doubt it's being done on purpose.

Kaddm Wed 20-Mar-19 10:06:48

It is pretty rude to continually let your dog piss outside your neighbours house especially when there is a small child getting out directly onto it. Once or twice, I wouldn’t bat an eyelid, but continually is just rude. I suppose at least is isn’t dog shit.

Croprotationinthe14thcentury Wed 20-Mar-19 10:07:49

In Spain the dog walkers all walk around with a bottle of washing up liquid hot water and when their dog/s are they spray the area unhelpful

SpamChaudFroid Wed 20-Mar-19 10:09:41

Try washing the area with Simple Solution, or if you don't have that some dissolved bio washing powder. The enzymes break down the pissy smell.

I don't think you can control what others do on public highways though. If only!

NutElla5x Wed 20-Mar-19 10:10:16

If there is nearly always a puddle of piss when you get out of your car AND it stinks as bad as you say I think there must be seriously wrong with that dog,so unless your neighbour gets it to the vet sharpish I doubt it will live for much longer anyway to be honest!

Bookworm4 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:11:16

In the garden? Is that the only place your dog pees? Does he hold it in on walks? You are being ridiculous, I'm sure other dogs pee outside your house, you are prepared to cause problems over something so petty then you are being small minded.

diddl Wed 20-Mar-19 10:11:20

So does your dog never pee in the street whilst out for a walk?

Omzlas Wed 20-Mar-19 10:12:09

It's on public land but appreciate it could be frustrating. You can't dictate where their dog pisses though.

Jeyes fluid in a bucket of water and rinsed off might deter the dog from peeing there?

Wellfuckmeinbothears Wed 20-Mar-19 10:13:36

I don’t think YABU. We have a dog, we don’t let him pee outside peoples property. If he looks like he might we just continue walking and gently pull him on until we cross the road and he goes by a tree. It’s not difficult!

NotTheMrMenAgain Wed 20-Mar-19 10:13:49

Put neat zoflora on the peeing area - should get rid of the scents that attract the dog to wee there in the first place, or at least repel the dog with its smell.

Drogosnextwife Wed 20-Mar-19 10:14:04

Are you sure it's dog piss 😂. I second a big bucket of disinfectant, probably chuck some up your walls to deter any other dogs as well. I don't know if the smell of disinfectant will do that but worth a try.

ponyprincess Wed 20-Mar-19 10:14:40

I agree with sauvingnon

The answer is Zoflora

Ginseng1 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:15:31

Does your dog ever wee on the road?! If someone came to my door n asked me to stop my dog peeing on the pavement I'd think they were looper n it would def sour any sort if relationship we might have! Its not particularly nice but that's life run some water over it maybe buy that spray deterrent if u think it'd work.

ravenmum Wed 20-Mar-19 10:17:18

Don't use bleach as you would basically be creating toxic fumes for you to breathe in instead, when it mixes with the ammonia. Tbh the best thing for getting rid of the smell properly is Febreze, but you'd look bananas spraying that on your gate grin

Ilovelala Wed 20-Mar-19 10:18:58

Does your dog wear nappies on walks?

Motherofcreek Wed 20-Mar-19 10:19:23

It’s literally out side her gate. My toddlers would end up walking through it. You shouldnt have to walk through or step over dog piss to get out of home. It’s disgusting.

shockandawe1 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:19:43

Is there such a thing as a repellent spray for dogs? I know you can buy citronella spray for cats to try and keep them from stuff you don't want them near, e.g. your Xmas tree.

bigKiteFlying Wed 20-Mar-19 10:24:04

I'd wash it down with water and some bleach - then maybe try and break the habit by trying some dog wee repellent stuff - though not sure if they work outside - but might be enough to put it off.

I'm not sure saying anything will help.

JemSynergy Wed 20-Mar-19 10:24:19

I used to have a dog who would always piss all up our wall, once the dog even came onto my drive to do it, in front of me. I go out every week and just splash bleach/disinfectant around the wall and it seems to stop dogs from pissing up it.

birdonawire1 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:24:46

I'd tip a lot of neat bleach over the area it pees. Every day until it decides to go elsewhere.

bigKiteFlying Wed 20-Mar-19 10:26:01

Is there such a thing as a repellent spray for dogs?

Amazon seems to sell some - but not sure if they are more for indoors.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sharples-Grant-Clean-Tidy-Deterrent/dp/B00KCODMGI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dog+pee+repellent&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1553077036&sr=8-2

BluebadgenPIP Wed 20-Mar-19 10:27:45

Why did you need a picture?🤷‍♀️

Rainbowsandsnowdrops Wed 20-Mar-19 10:27:51

I laughed when I saw there’s another thread on here saying builders are peeing on her bins! 😂 Now that’s gross!

Dogs however- yabu it’s gotta go when it’s go. smile

bigKiteFlying Wed 20-Mar-19 10:28:06

Apparently the jelly stuff also deters dogs

Get Off 2044406 Cat and Dog Repellent Green Crystals

makeitalargegin Wed 20-Mar-19 10:28:53

I had this problem, especially with dog poo. I read that mixing alka seltzer with water and rising the area down not only takes the smell away but also acts like a repellent. It's honestly worked.

mcmooberry Wed 20-Mar-19 10:29:32

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all, I would be not expect any neighbour to be happy if my dog did that and would get a bucket out and dilute it myself!! I would get some of that spray a PP mentioned.

countrygardenx Wed 20-Mar-19 10:32:10

@Ginseng1 that's not the point if you kept letting your dog piss right In front of your neighbours house everyday you would think it was odd for them to get frustrated? I don't think so. I shouldn't have to stepped out in to dog piss every morning.

VioletBlu Wed 20-Mar-19 10:41:19

Can't believe a dog owner has a problem with a dog weeing. It is outside, concrete doesn't retain a smell, it gets washed away in the rain, the dog can't really help where he needs to take a wee.

YABVU. Especially for a dog owner.

ravenmum Wed 20-Mar-19 10:42:02

If it's a big puddle, maybe he's not letting it out for long times and the poor creature is so desperate that it lets it all out the moment that it is taken outside. In which case the owner may not be the most super-conscientious type!

I hate it when my dog pees on people's gardens, and try to run down the street as fast as I can to a good peeing spot before she has time to squat grin.

Seriously, not bleach! Bleach creates toxic fumes. Anything but bleach.

Tartanwallpaper Wed 20-Mar-19 10:50:27

At least it's not on any plants or grass OP.

MrsDeanWinchester75 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:52:01

Maybe time your disinfecting with their walk, tell them to mind their dogs paws on the bleach and that you're trying to get rid of the urine smell.

Dotty1970 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:52:55

I wouldn't ring 999 but I'd definitely ring 101 and get it logged with them.

countrygardenx Wed 20-Mar-19 10:53:22

@MrsDeanWinchester75 I've never seen them walk the dog since they've been here!

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Wed 20-Mar-19 10:53:59

@Dotty1970 are you serious? You'd actually phone the police and tell them a dog had a wee?

MrsDeanWinchester75 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:55:45

How do you know it's them then?

Doghorsechicken Wed 20-Mar-19 10:56:33

I think you’re absolutely barking mad! He’s pee’d on the pavement, it’s not even your garden! I bet you’re one of those people that would move next to a farm and complain about the smell grin did you know birds shit freely everywhere they go? And insects! Disgusting creatures, they ought to use a toilet!

Doghorsechicken Wed 20-Mar-19 10:58:37

Phoning the police over a dog having a wee?! That’s so ridiculous it’s not even funny anymore! That’s a huge waste of police time!

Xenia Wed 20-Mar-19 10:58:42

Put a CCTV camera on your gate post. Put down pepper stuff they don't like. Wash it off with water and bleach if you prefer.

Dottierichardson Wed 20-Mar-19 10:59:07

YABU this is happening outside your house and not on your property - cats pee, dogs pee, foxes pee. I thought I'd heard every petty complaint but this is a new one to me. It's no wonder that communities are breaking down or non-existent, and that there are so many neighbour disputes if this is how incredibly petty people are becoming. I would wonder what other issues you do/don't have in your life that this bothers you so much. It seems very controlling and slightly obsessive. And good luck calling the police, sure they have oodles of time to spare on non-criminal activities!

CommeDesPoissons Wed 20-Mar-19 11:00:53

Someone had a go at me on our local high street last week for allowing my dog to pee against a wall. I was mortified. Am I supposed to try to get him to the park before allowing him to pee? Genuinely don't know what's acceptable.

Dottierichardson Wed 20-Mar-19 11:01:40

And *Xenia' pepper stuff on paws, children's shoes could cause serious problems, if a toddler tracked it in or a dog or cat licked it off their paws it could make them sick, in which case the people affected would be in a position to call the police. And again your massive over-reaction is slightly disturbing.

ChorleyFMcominginyourears Wed 20-Mar-19 11:06:30

Its outside your property so not much you can do, my neighbours dog shits IN our garden because he lets him out and closes the door! He knows he does it as I've told him so now I chuck it back in his garden when it happens 🤷‍♀️

Jamise Wed 20-Mar-19 11:08:00

Yabu, throw some water down. Don't use bleach, chilli, zoflora etc on the pavement though.

countrygardenx Wed 20-Mar-19 11:08:36

@ChorleyFMcominginyourears 🤣🤣🤣 I don't blame you that is disgusting.

happyhillock Wed 20-Mar-19 11:11:56

Ha ha ha this is so ridiculous, i have a wall around my garden dog's pee on it all the time, spray some hot soapy on it.

Fazackerley Wed 20-Mar-19 11:14:21

I wouldn't ring 999 but I'd definitely ring 101 and get it logged with them

definitely do this

ChorleyFMcominginyourears Wed 20-Mar-19 11:14:37

It really annoys me! Don't let your dog out the front (we all have open driveways) if you're not going to watch it! It's bad enough picking my own dogs up without doing the neighbours job too! I always try and throw it in an awkward place like just outside his front door step, let's be fair if he caught me I'm only giving back what's his, and if he kept an eye on his dog it would be doing its business in its own garden anyway!

imamum21 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:14:44

there is granules you can buy called vitax scent off, put them on your gravel they do work, i buy them out poundstretchers. the smell is really strong and will deter them

StarlightIntheNight Wed 20-Mar-19 11:16:24

I would just hose it down or use a bucket of water...or when it rains splash some bleach or soap.

Fazackerley Wed 20-Mar-19 11:16:32

Tbh, joking aside, you'd be better off investing in the Calm app for your phone and trying to chill out. Let go of things you can't control!

ApolloandDaphne Wed 20-Mar-19 11:18:55

When a dog wants to wee it just goes. There isn't much you can do to stop them. Mine wee's in the garden but also wee's when being walked. We live rurally so she can go anywhere we walk. If we ever have to walk her by houses it is very hard stopping her from wandering onto people's grass or bushes to have a wee. She doesn't understand the difference!

Dottierichardson Wed 20-Mar-19 11:19:38

It's not illegal for a dog to pee on a pavement, wtf do you think the police are going to do? Make a new law just for you!!! Get a life.

Alsohuman Wed 20-Mar-19 11:19:57

Have you ever tried to stop a dog pissing where it chooses? If you’ve been successful I’m intrigued as to how you managed it.

BiteyShark Wed 20-Mar-19 11:20:54

You have to suck it up because you do not own the pavement in front of your house.

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Wed 20-Mar-19 11:22:04

In Spain the dog walkers all walk around with a bottle of washing up liquid hot water and when their dog/s are they spray the area unhelpful

Not in Central Seville, where I noticed many people have pet dogs and don't even pick up the poo (you have to be really careful where you step when you are walking around) - they definitely weren't considering washing away the pee. A pity, because Seville was otherwise a really wonderful place to visit.

Dottierichardson Wed 20-Mar-19 11:22:20

You own a house and its grounds not the world around it. Although it's clear from MN that a lot of people would rather not take that on board.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »