Talk

Advanced search

What rites of passage did you miss and will never get to do?

(152 Posts)
Tiswotis Tue 19-Mar-19 22:46:50

I did not:

Have a teenage romance
Go to graduation
Pass driving test

and will never:

Have a dad walk me down the aisle
Have a mum excited with me on my wedding day

and probably won't:

Have a child of my own

I like my life, but sometimes wish I had some of the above.

How about you?

Tiswotis Tue 19-Mar-19 22:48:22

Posted in aibu for traffic. Sometimes it seems like everyone has an ideal life hitting goal after goal, and it can be isolating. Curious to see is anyone else in a similar boat.

OwlinaTree Tue 19-Mar-19 22:49:45

Never went on a club 18-30 holiday, or any type of girls holiday when young.

RJnomore1 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:49:59

Oh gosh so many

I wouldn’t know where to start tbh

supersop60 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:50:15

Never had a wedding. I have a DP (nearly 20 yrs)

supersop60 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:51:13

Oh yes - have never been on holiday with a group of friends, but I don't really care

Seren85 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:52:26

Never lived on my own or in a flat/house share. I stayed at home for University to save money, moved in with ex, back home then moved in with my now DH.

Hiddenaspie1973 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:53:25

Loads!
Girlie holiday abroad
College
University
A wedding day

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Tue 19-Mar-19 22:53:42

never been to Uni
never had a year out or done any major travelling.

motortroll Tue 19-Mar-19 22:54:52

Camp America. I wish I'd have the confidence to do something like that.

I had a shit time at uni overall so I don't feel like it was amazing for me.

Purplestorm83 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:54:55

Never been on a girls’ holiday
Never had a hen do

Just don’t have very many female friends

Fr3d Tue 19-Mar-19 22:55:40

Never really travelled alone but I want to try it some day (safely of course).

donajimena Tue 19-Mar-19 22:56:30

I've never been a bride or even bridesmaid.
I'm in uni now but I do sometimes envy the footloose and fancyfree living in halls and doing the whole 'experience'.
I haven't bought a house.

animaginativeusername Tue 19-Mar-19 22:57:18

Never been in love, travelled, lived alone or house shared. I can't drive or actually will learn.

beansonbread Tue 19-Mar-19 22:57:22

I have never been on a girls holiday or an 18-30 type one (would hate to anyways).

I didn't go to my high school prom and really feel like I missed out now even though it was about 16 years ago!

ConfCall Tue 19-Mar-19 23:00:08

Never did the week-in-Ibiza thing as a young adult. Travelled with friends, but have never done a beach+clubbing holiday. This is odd because I loved hot weather and clubbing!

Drogosnextwife Tue 19-Mar-19 23:00:17

I didn't go on a teenage holiday abroad, or a holiday anywhere with just friends, go to prom or graduate from anywhere, have a teenage boyfriend ( I was 20 before I had a proper relationship, had a baby at 18 though 😂)

I will probably never do any better career wise than right now (it's not the best), have a daughter (silly thing to be upset about really).

I will never get to say a proper goodbye to any of my grandparents but I can't say there is anything I will never do.

Sorry about your mum and dad OP, whatever the reasons for them not being there and I hope you get a child of your own.

Fr3d Tue 19-Mar-19 23:00:34

Never been a bridesmaid

Cosyjimjamsforautumn Tue 19-Mar-19 23:04:40

Never been a bridesmaid either. Mind you from what i read on here about bridezillas, part of me is quite glad that i was never asked grin

LancashireTea Tue 19-Mar-19 23:07:57

Didn't do the club 18-30 thing either. Didn't drive till I was 28. Was in long term relationships from 17.

Also didn't do the drinking in the park on a school night thing, but I grew up in the cold north and I'm not a fan of being outside, freezing.

dartitus Tue 19-Mar-19 23:10:23

Went on a booze filled holiday, went t total at 19 anyway so can’t really class that as missing out.
Wish I wasn’t such a little shit at school and was allowed to go to prom.

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 19-Mar-19 23:14:27

I did not
Have a teenage romance
Go to my graduation (did graduate though)
Get married (been shacked up with DH for nearly 3 years)

We are kind of planning to get married now (tax reasons) and I suddenly have a big pang that I won’t be a gorgeous young bride setting out on life’s journey, I will be a frumpy, faintly ridiculous, middle aged woman. I will also be totally outshone by my two stunningly beautiful 20 something daughters as self appointed bridesmaids and that rankles more than I thought it would.

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 19-Mar-19 23:16:19

God, 30 not 3 years. And obviously DP not DH; I keep forgetting.

HopeClearwater Tue 19-Mar-19 23:16:21

Not sure that all of the above necessarily count as a rite of passage. 18-30 booze holiday? Don’t think so.

OrigamiZoo Tue 19-Mar-19 23:18:26

Never had a teenage romance
Never been in love and it be reciprocated
Won't be getting married and even if I did no mum or Dad to walk me down the aisle
Never went travelling
No big girl's holidays

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: