Talk

Advanced search

Business idea interest- but full time employed! Help!

(7 Posts)
casperthefriendlyghoster Tue 19-Mar-19 19:51:02

Hi there,

I moved to my 'ideal' job 9 miles from home, great pay and the role I had always coveted about 7 months ago.

I am very happy there, it is at a fairly senior level (reporting to Managing Director) so has it's stressful days but I do love what I do.

I also have a passionate interest in a completely unrelated area and they are aware of this and that this is my hobby.

As part of my hobby I have come up with a concept/ invention that links back to this subject. Having worked on it in the evenings I speculatively sent a proposal over to the market leader in that industry (expecting to be told to b*^^ger off) and to my surprise they are extremely interested and I have a call with the CEO tomorrow on my day off.

The company interested know I am happily employed and know what my role is. I have a feeling they're going to ask me tomorrow what I want from this- the answer is I genuinely don't know, I just had a good idea!

For context, I earn a good living but have a lot of debt from doing up our house so would be delighted at the opportunity for any increase in income. Do I sell them the idea and walk away, try and do 3 days in current role/ 2 consulting on this project if my work will agree a compromise?

Again for context if this concept acquired just 1% market share its annual revenue generated would be in excess of £3 million.

I am worried about this call tomorrow because although it's the opportunity of a life time I didn't expect to be in this situation, please help!

Also I don't know whether I need to take legal advice on protecting/ selling my idea.

bridgetreilly Tue 19-Mar-19 19:57:03

Is it something you could license rather than sell to them? So you get a fraction of any future profits?

casperthefriendlyghoster Tue 19-Mar-19 20:04:24

That's a good suggestion! I didn't know whether in an ideal world I'd be able to 'sell' them the idea then retaining a percentage share of the creation. I'm completely new to this and just had an idea in bed one morning in my pyjamas! 😂

CanILeavenowplease Tue 19-Mar-19 20:05:09

You will almost certainly need legal advice. You may do well to post in business forums as they will have a greater understanding of the issues involved but with the money you’re discussing, you really need to be clear what your expectations are from the outset.

casperthefriendlyghoster Tue 19-Mar-19 20:05:44

Thanks for the tip- admin could you possibly move to the business forum?

casperthefriendlyghoster Wed 20-Mar-19 10:31:50

Bump!

Catanddogmake6 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:37:01

You also need to see what your current employment contract says about Intellectual property and second jobs/ moonlighting. Hopefully it will only cover IP arising out of your work but be very careful your job does not have any interest in your idea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: