Talk

Advanced search

Stressful job and notice period

(9 Posts)
Thewheelsonthebusgoround Tue 19-Mar-19 19:44:08

I have mild MH issues. I don’t take pills and try to manage it myself with techniques and self help.

Work has changed a lot recently and my well paid role has become extremely stressful so I’ve decided to leave to work in a much lower paid role with, I hope, much less stress.

I’ve made work aware I have mild health issues and that the stress has forced my decision. They’ve said nothing and not helped by putting anything in place for my three months notice period.

AIBU to take this further? Do you know who I could talk to? Sickness is unpaid so I’m not really wanting to get signed off as I need the last of my good salary to pay off a few bits of debt.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Tue 19-Mar-19 19:45:34

Do you have a union?

worldsbestprocrastinator Tue 19-Mar-19 19:47:14

You need to speak to your occupational health team. You can also get a fit note from your GP that could make some recommendations for your workplace to follow (should they choose). I've very surprised to hear that a well paid role does not have any paid sick leave, however?

Thewheelsonthebusgoround Tue 19-Mar-19 20:04:30

It’s well paid for the industry and area, prob not in comparison to high flyers. (£35k) Sadly no union.

PCohle Tue 19-Mar-19 21:22:15

I would second talking to occupational health.

I would also start "working to rule" a little. So fulfil your job requirements but put yourself under less pressure to excel now that you know you're leaving. Don't work past your hours, make it clear that you can achieve X and Y within the deadline but not Z etc. In my workplace it's pretty expected that people who have handed in their notice will coast.

OddBoots Tue 19-Mar-19 21:27:27

What variety of stress is it? Deadlines? Traumatic situations? Legal responsibilities? Prioritising? It depends on the pressure type as to what they and you can do to help.

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Tue 19-Mar-19 21:49:21

How much holiday do you have to use up? I got signed off, went back on phased return, using my holiday days to get paid for not working and then gave notice so I never did go back full time but I made up my initial pay dip. I know you've got longer notice than me but it could give you some room to breathe?

livingthegoodlife Tue 19-Mar-19 22:00:04

you sound like me. i quit my job in a similiar pay bracket which also had a 3 month notice period.

i didn't seek any changed from my employers towards me but i did "work to rule" a bit more. i took my first lunch break in 3 years, i ignored emails out of office hours, i didn't get to work early or leave late. and you know what, the world didn't end! i actually enjoyed my job a little (or that could have been the thought of leaving!). i start my low paid low stress job in a couple of weeks after a couple of months "rest".

good luck. you're doing the right thing.

Thewheelsonthebusgoround Wed 20-Mar-19 07:54:49

Thanks all, the stress is high levels of confrontation from an angry client base due to changes in contracts following a merger, frustrations with new systems that don’t work properly and an unsupportive boss. I have started to work my normal hours, not go in early and finish late but find ignoring emails difficult as I only have them to deal with in large numbers if I leave it to normal working hours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »