Talk

Advanced search

Feeling very low

(10 Posts)
Numptybean Tue 19-Mar-19 17:36:18

Have name changed. Have a history of various traumas and mental illness. However, from the outside I function 'normally'- whatever that is- work and kids etc. I self harm in secret- but I'm not in danger. I also use food as a comfort. I've piled on the weight and feel so terrible about myself that I tend to isolate myself more and more. I guess I hate myself.

I guess I'm just asking for practical tips to get through the hard times. Not looking for sympathy or anything. Just feel so alone at times. Thanks

BlueSuffragette Tue 19-Mar-19 17:47:20

Didn't want to read and run. ((((((Hugs for you)))))
Are you able to access any kind of professional help, GP, counselor? I'm sure somebody else will be along soon to offer better advice. Just hope you can get to a stage where you can feel better about yourself. flowers

Numptybean Tue 19-Mar-19 18:22:40

Thanks Blue. Yes have started seeing a counsellor which I know is a positive. Just feel isolated and very low sometimes on the days and weeks between

LimaLemur Tue 19-Mar-19 18:26:09

Hi Bean,

I’m so sorry to hear you’re feeling low flowers

Do you know why you may be feeling low or isolated on certain days? Does it relate to anything you’re going through or any particular situation or does it just come out of the blue?

Has your counsellor (or any counsellors you’ve had in the past) suggested any helpful tips?

EngagedAgain Tue 19-Mar-19 18:47:43

Maybe try to avoid what triggers things off if you can. Sounds like you have got to a turning point where you want to change? Or at least lessen the frequency or feeling alone as much as possible. On a practical note, as you seem bothered about your weight, start slow baby steps by getting out for walks if you can. When I first started walking I lost a stone easily. Then reduced food to lose another stone. Even a couple of stone off makes alot of difference to health and appearance. Good luck.

TwinkleMerrick Tue 19-Mar-19 19:08:16

Distraction is the key. Audible stops me thinking when I'm in bed. I put it on and let myself relax until I start to feel tired. Otherwise I would lay there thinking and crying. Also
Happy music in the day when I'm alone. When I'm doing housework or anything I need noise all the time, silence makes y brain go into over drive. Come off all social media, this also helped me as I wasn't comparing myself. Good luck xx

Dieu Tue 19-Mar-19 19:45:24

Hi pal. I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. Although I don't self-harm, I do have a 'problematic' relationship with food - and always have had - so I can definitely relate. And the more you eat, the shittier you
(perceive yourself to) look and feel. Sound familiar?!
One positive step I have made, is to not eat after 8pm at night. In fact, I only eat between 12 and 8pm. It helps me stay in control a bit more. I'm not saying this is the answer for you, but there is usually some part solution to be found. Not sure I'll ever crack it completely, but we can but try!

2018SoFarSoGreat Tue 19-Mar-19 20:11:40

sorry you are feeling so low, Bean

When I'm really down I find loud music helps drown out the brain going ninety miles an hour, as does taking a walk, with or without headphones - not set too loud for safety obviously. The more time I have to be inside my own head the worse it is. I also have the radio on constantly, talk radio, so I can find myself engrossed in a news story or the like.

Hope it begins to turn around soon. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Numptybean Tue 19-Mar-19 21:35:37

Thank you for your messages of advice. Appreciated

Neverender Tue 19-Mar-19 21:36:26

flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: