Talk

Advanced search

Is this school newsletter too rude?

(716 Posts)
RudeHead Tue 19-Mar-19 17:19:22

NC as obviously outing to other parents. This week's primary school newsletter had the following from the head^^ about parents' evening...

Thank you for all the positive comments that teachers received yesterday. They all work so hard for each child in their class. Though I have noticed that there are too many parents not attending the parents meeting and making individual appointments with teachers before and after school This will not be allowed. We start at 1.30pm and finish at 7pm so whatever job you have, you can still make the consultation. I have to keep the workload down for our teachers. If there is a reason why you cannot meet on the designated parent consultation, which is dated in September, then please write to me.

AIBU that this is unacceptably rude? I feel like I should write in or something. I get her point but surely there's a better way to make it?

Cinnamon12345 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:21:28

No, straight talking and it's to the point.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 19-Mar-19 17:21:46

No. I think it's honest and straight to the point. Not rude.

GerryblewuptheER Tue 19-Mar-19 17:22:15

Sounds fine to me tbh.

Think sometimes they should he more direct and abrupt like that.

To many people think parents evening is a waste of time then think they can harass the teachers before or after school.

Figuringitout Tue 19-Mar-19 17:22:28

I don’t think it’s rude. It sounds like a Head who values her staff and recognises that they have many demands on their time. If a parent can’t make an appointment then they shouldn’t expect the teacher to give their own time, they just need to accept that they won’t get feedback at that time.

Ohfuxx Tue 19-Mar-19 17:22:37

No. Its true.

CluedoAddict Tue 19-Mar-19 17:22:40

Not rude in the slightest.

luckylavender Tue 19-Mar-19 17:22:38

No, it's perfectly fine.

havingtochangeusernameagain Tue 19-Mar-19 17:22:49

We start at 1.30pm and finish at 7pm so whatever job you have, you can still make the consultation. I have to keep the workload down for our teachers. If there is a reason why you cannot meet on the designated parent consultation, which is dated in September, then please write to me

Certainly completely unrealistic. Do they really think nobody commutes to work? Or works weird shift patterns? Yes I would say something.

Terramirabilis Tue 19-Mar-19 17:22:54

I think it's a bit of an assumption that no one works the whole time from 1.30 pm - 7 pm. Never heard of a late shift obviously.

Bigonesmallone3 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:22:56

Blunt, not rude though..

Chancewouldbeafinethlng Tue 19-Mar-19 17:23:11

Sounds fine to me. Why do you think it’s rude?

ScreamingValenta Tue 19-Mar-19 17:23:43

We start at 1.30pm and finish at 7pm so whatever job you have, you can still make the consultation.

Whatever job you have? Has he never heard of a 12 - 8 shift - very common in call centres and late-opening retail.

Atalune Tue 19-Mar-19 17:23:45

Not rude.

BlueMerchant Tue 19-Mar-19 17:23:54

On 8am- 8pm shifts you couldn't make it!.
Very patronizing. Head needs to learn some people skills.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Tue 19-Mar-19 17:24:18

sounds fine to me. Teachers don't get paid overtime for doing parents' evenings.

PotteringAlong Tue 19-Mar-19 17:24:40

Nope. It’s a head who’s trying to make no wiggle room for people who are trying to rearrrange constantly. They’ve not said they won’t; if you’re a nurse doing a 12 hour shift that can’t be rearranged write to them and they’ll sort it. Want it straight after school 3 days later because it’s more convenient for you? Nope.

havingtochangeusernameagain Tue 19-Mar-19 17:25:20

No. Its true

No it isn't. My husband isn't home until 7.30 assuming trains on time. How would he magically manage a slot between 1 and 7.30?

And don't say "take time off", it's not always that easy.

grasspigeons Tue 19-Mar-19 17:25:26

I think its a bit OTT. Whatever job you have. So nurses working shifts, people who work at sea for 4 week blocks.
I get her point, that they are publicised well in advance so you can try to plan around them but not all work is like that.

Darkbaptism Tue 19-Mar-19 17:26:26

Parents are given advance notice of the dates in September, I don’t think it’s unrealistic for parents to make the effort to attend. I agree with the head.

GerryblewuptheER Tue 19-Mar-19 17:27:04

6 months notice though? I mean surely that's sufficient for the majority of people.

otherstories Tue 19-Mar-19 17:27:12

Not rude, but I sincerely hope my kid’s future primary schools will be more accommodating if parents evening falls on a day I work 12.5 hours. I have a fixed rota to allow for childcare so I’d have to take annual leave for a 30?min appointment otherwise.

HeathRobinson Tue 19-Mar-19 17:27:18

A tad rude and stupid.

ChicCroissant Tue 19-Mar-19 17:27:26

No, that's not rude IMO. If you work longer shifts, you can contact the Head and they will arrange another appointment. The staff have probably been complaining about the extra appointments.

Shitonthebloodything Tue 19-Mar-19 17:28:02

It's very rare for a school to schedule parents evenings so far ahead at the start of the school year so I think she has a point. They've given 6 months notice haven't they?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »