Talk

Advanced search

Our AIBU? podcast - let us know what you think

(94 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Mar-19 15:43:01

Hello Hello,

We’d like to draw your attention to our new AIBU? podcast hosted by Lucy Porter and Aasmah Mir (download on Acast, Spotify or Apple Podcasts).

The first three episodes are up now and feature Lucy and Aasmah discussing the dilemmas, modern etiquette problems and weird pieces of behaviour thrown up in AIBU? threads - plus each week they drag in a celebrity guest (Ed Byrne, Mark Dolan and Tim Dowling among others) and for a quickfire YABU/YANBU round.

You can find out more here (including Lucy and Aasmah’s own personal views on penguin bollards).

Basically it’s our shot at seeing whether AIBU can translate successfully into podcast form (given that quite a few other people were already trying it without so much as a by-your-leave, tsk). We’d love to know what you think - please give it a try on Apple Podcasts, Acast or Spotify and as ever we’d love to have your feedback as it’s very much a work in progress.
And of course do feel free to share far and wide.

Big thanks in advance.

Avallamp Sat 23-Mar-19 09:34:06

Enjoyed the content (ep4), but the volume was all over the place. Lucy very quiet, so kept having to turn the volume up, then she the ads came on, being deafened. (The ads were at the normal volume of my other podcasts). Likewise with Aasmah's laughter being very loud, was she sat closer to the mic? Johnny Ball's volume was fine.

(I know I'm going on about the volume, but i was constantly turning the volume up or down, not had to do that with any other podcasts)

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 23-Mar-19 15:49:46

Good content but the volume levels are way off! If I have Aasmah at the right volume level, then Lucy is way too quiet and the adverts are deafening! Really puts me off listening as i find it quite stressful.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 23-Mar-19 15:50:27

Haha have read a bit of the thread now and see I’m not the only one irritated 😄 hopefully something will be done about it.

drspouse Sat 23-Mar-19 20:22:45

Agree the sound effects need scrapping work.
When's the next one? Episode 3 was recorded pre-Valentine's Day.

3boysandabump Sun 24-Mar-19 19:21:43

This was my first ever podcast. I liked it. I'd probably listen to it in the car on the way home from work

GreyhoundzRool Mon 25-Mar-19 05:26:30

Yes agree with the others re sound levels. If you have it loud enough to hear one speaking then the next one is too quiet. Really irritating. I quite liked the actual podcast though so if the sound levels can be sorted out I’ll probably carry on listening

Nydj Mon 25-Mar-19 09:27:00

I have hearing problems and gave up after a few minutes as I couldn’t make out what Lucy was saying

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-19 10:51:41

Thanks for all the feedback re sound levels. If you like the podcast otherwise please stick with us - from the next episode onwards different equipment is used which should mean the compression levels are sorted out. (Obviously I don't really understand what this means, but I'm assured it's important. Audio expert MNers are welcome to contribute grin)

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-19 10:52:12

3boysandabump

This was my first ever podcast. I liked it. I'd probably listen to it in the car on the way home from work

Yay! flowers

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-19 10:53:20

VeryLittleOwl

Downloading on iTunes now, but you've got a rogue apostrophe in the blurb.

Gah, sorry. There's something about the text input mechanism that leads to lots of annoying auto 'corrects' - we'll take another look

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-19 10:54:17

drspouse

Agree the sound effects need scrapping work.
When's the next one? Episode 3 was recorded pre-Valentine's Day.

Next one is next Monday (April Fool's Day, but don't read anything into that...). We're considering whether people prefer weekly or fortnightly - any thoughts?

OhioOhioOhio Tue 26-Mar-19 21:43:52

Weekly. But it needs to be more raw. It sounds as though its a Sunday best or rehearsed school concert. At the moment it is very missable. Fortnightly is not regularly enough to remember.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 01-Apr-19 10:00:39

Sound levels seem far better this week, wasn’t deafened at all!

BeanBag7 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:23:52

Episode 4 pretty good. But vocalising the acronyms is very annoying. "Ayboo", "yaaboo" and "yanboo" just dont sound good!

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Apr-19 16:04:05

Ooh thank you Bendydick and Beanbag. New thread for feedback on episode 4 is here but glad to hear the sound is working better for you

Myimaginarycathasfleas Wed 03-Apr-19 00:31:34

Still listening. I've decided the celebrity quick fire thing adds nothing and should be dropped. Why not use their talents by engaging them fully in the conversation? I think the presenters need a third guest voice anyway so as not to sound too cosy.

Oh, and please ask them to stop with the Ayboo, Yahboo business. Poor James Acaster was all over the place with it!

drspouse Wed 03-Apr-19 04:25:27

I switched off before the celebrity bit this time.

Socksontheradiator Thu 11-Jul-19 13:39:34

I have just found this podcast and really enjoy it. Thank you.

bringincrazyback Tue 23-Jul-19 09:42:53

Anyone else find the frequent bursts of laughter really jarring? I mean, I get that it's meant to be a lighthearted podcast but wouldn't that come over just as well without regular (and sometimes prolonged) bouts of high-pitched giggling? It detracts from the content for me and makes the whole thing feel a bit dumbed-down. Sorry MNHQ.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »