Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about other people's dogs

(35 Posts)
Blahblahblah111 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:22:52

In the park with my kids sitting on a bench watching them play. A dog just runs over and jumps up at me putting his muddy paws on my trousers and slobbering on my hand. I'm not that bothered about dogs one wy or the other but AIBU to think the owner should be stopping that sort of behavior or at least apologising? Not 'come here, good boy' really loody pissed me off!

gambaspilpil Tue 19-Mar-19 15:29:14

I am a dog owner and my dog doesn't behave like that however I too dislike other peoples dogs who jump and and slobber on you. Fellow dog owners appear to think I wont mind there dog jumping up on me and covering me with mud. I had a giant breed slobbering over my new babies pram with the owner running behind laughing about he was just a pup. Well put him on a lead then. Where I live there is designated on and off lead areas and most dog owners ignore them. So when its warm and people are having picnics in the on lead area its not unusual to hear DC screaming as a dog runs into the picnic or grabs their cone out of their hand....infuriates me and people wonder why DC get scared of dogs. Probably not helped by badly trained dogs jumping on them and stealing there ice creams

VelvetPineapple Tue 19-Mar-19 15:29:24

Does my head in. My dog is kept on a short leash because he bites other dogs. But there’s not much I can do when someone else’s dog comes bounding up to him. And then they have the nerve to be annoyed when my dog turns on theirs. If you can’t control your dog then you need to keep it on a leash!

Bigonesmallone3 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:29:44

I agree, I'm sure a lot of people will come along and say YABU..

One time we was sitting on the beach with all of our young children and a big wet lab came up shook, covered us in sea water and inhaled our sarnies in one mouthful.
Not even an apology from the owner..

Home77 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:30:16

Yes, I have had them come running over and eating a picnic, owners didn't apologise.

DeadCertain Tue 19-Mar-19 15:40:49

I am a dog owner myself and ensure that my walking / running with my dog does not in any way negatively impact upon anyone else. I get annoyed when I am chased / covered in mud / bitten / holes ripped in running kit by the sharp claws of the overenthusiastic jumper - upper / tripped and injured etc etc. It's common courtesy not to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the outdoors by your actions. So many people assume that because they love their dogs that everyone else automatically will; I assume the opposite and keep myself to myself unless people want to interact in any way (although prefer solitude anyway!!).

Katinkka Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:05

First thing I did with my dog was teach it to come back when I call it. I can reliably call it away from people/children/other dogs. Mainly because he thinks there is a treat in it for him but he still comes. I know to wear old clothes at the park because of other dogs jumping on me. Shouldn't be necessary really. People are lazy af and cant be bothered doing anything responsible these days.

Alienspaceship Tue 19-Mar-19 16:14:43

YANBU. We live by a park and several times a week I get a slobbery dog on my clothes - horrible when I’m going to work. Dogs should always be on a lead.

lollypopsarefree Tue 19-Mar-19 16:49:21

Go and wipe your dirty feet on her trousers?

Shezza71 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:50:03

Dog owner aswell and nanny to 2 yo twins. Always put my dog on lead if there are other people or dogs around as I know she'll want to go and play. Last summer enjoying a picnic with a friend and had 3 young children. Watching all the dogs as many were off lead, one came bounding over, went straight for the food in the kids hands, owner not close enough to get him on lead very quickly, try shooing him away, he then cocks his leg and pees all over one of the buggies. Owner did not rush over, no apology. Nothing

BlueKarou Tue 19-Mar-19 16:56:43

Owner definitely should have apologised; that is very bad behaviour.

The 'good boy' comments to the dog make sense to me; I have anxious dogs, and if I sound angry they'll be much less likely to come back when called, so I would call my dog back and give praise for returning. But I'd also be utterly mortified if they'd jumped up/on someone and would be all about the apologies.

WiddlinDiddlin Tue 19-Mar-19 16:57:26

Not unreasonable to not like it, I wouldn't, im not over keen when my own dogs slobber and bounce mud on me.

Not unreasonable to hope for an apology.

Don't moan that they recalled the dog and praised the dog for returning though - many people fall into the trap of trying to recall the dog then punishing the dog for 'whatever' when it comes back, thus ensuring NEXT time the dog will remember the punishment and NOT come back promptly.

People often do this because of filthy looks and comments from other people 'ooh why are you praising your dog hes been bad'... he hasn't, he's been a dog. The owner needs to step up and utilise a lead until recall is properly trained.

Spiritinabody Tue 19-Mar-19 17:03:46

VelvetPineapple
If you know your dog bites other dogs then shouldn't your dog be muzzled and not just on a lead?

Bigonesmallone3
I'm sorry but the thought of a big wet Labrador shaking its wet body all over your picnic and scoffing the sandwiches is just so funny. grin

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 17:05:52

I agree op, so rude

RandomMess Tue 19-Mar-19 17:34:08

I'd be mortified and apologetic, fortunately DDog doesn't slobber or lick but she would beg for food!

adaline Tue 19-Mar-19 17:43:07

YANBU I hate it.

Mine escaped his lead today and wandered off in a restaurant - luckily his recall is good and he came back right away. The other family were very understanding (he's only young still) - I was just pleased I'd taught him to recall!

Dogs should always be taught to recall as well as possible (obviously its harder for certain breeds) because there's always a chance you could fall and drop the lead, or the lead could break etc. and your dog could suddenly be loose.

VelvetPineapple Tue 19-Mar-19 17:49:18

Why should my dog have to be muzzled because other people can’t control their dogs? He’s on a lead and I keep him away from other dogs. If some idiot lets their dog approach him then that isn’t my fault.

dangermouseisace Tue 19-Mar-19 18:03:31

I agree- my pup is only 9 weeks old but I’m training him NOT to jump up at people if he wants to say hi!

OneStepSideways Tue 19-Mar-19 18:22:51

I hate it too! A large puppy knocked my DD over in the park last week. She fell face first in a patch of mud and cried. The owner tried to laugh it off and invited her to stroke the 'naughty puppy'! I told the lady off and said puppy should be on a lead if he's going to leap on children! Her response 'but it's a park and he's only a baby!'

It makes me so cross when people let them off in parks before they're properly trained.

My friend's dog is aggressive towards other dogs, she's always on a lead because of this. So many idiotic owners let their dogs bound up to her. She's gone for a couple of dogs who rushed up to her for a sniff! Then the owners blame my friend, when their dog was the one out of control. I guess they're the foolish type who let their dogs loose around livestock then complain when they get shot at by the farmer!

Doggydoggydoggy Tue 19-Mar-19 18:23:39

People are very selfish and rude and stupid sadly.

I had a Labrador absolutely fly at me the other day, full on lunging, snarling, barking.
I shit you not it’s owner, looked at the bastard lovingly and ever so softly and kindly said ‘oh, come on you little monkey!’

He was lucky my arms ached from carrying shopping and I wanted to get home because any other time I would have followed him home and reported him.

OneStepSideways Tue 19-Mar-19 18:27:43

*VelvetPineapple
If you know your dog bites other dogs then shouldn't your dog be muzzled and not just on a lead?*

A muzzle means they can't defend themselves if attacked by an off lead dog! Lots of dogs are aggressive towards other dogs (but fine with humans). A lead means the dog is under close control. The owner letting their dog approach a strange on lead dog is the one at fault!

L1989 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:28:50

This drives me mad also! The other day it happened when I was walking my daughter to school and my neighbours dog got her uniform covered in mud!

Starlight456 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:29:34

Yanbu. My Ds is phobic of dogs and would seriously loose it if that happened to him.

pigsDOfly Tue 19-Mar-19 18:31:25

I've had dogs leap all over my legs and cover me in mud when I've been out walking my dog in a muddy park; seems like some dog owners think it's acceptable.

If my dog gets me muddy because she's playing with me that's up to me but I don't expect some strange dog to be allowed to jump all over me with it's muddy paws. Really infuriates me.

pigsDOfly Tue 19-Mar-19 18:32:25

Meant to add and I don't let my dog do it to other people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »