Talk

Advanced search

To ask what to do about neighbourhood cats

(18 Posts)
itsgoodtobehome Tue 19-Mar-19 14:19:52

I have just been into my back garden and nearly skidded on a pile of cat vomit. I can tell it’s that as it is a load of half digested dry cat food. On top of this, the local cats literally shit everywhere, both in our front and back gardens. I am sick of it. Any suggestions? I suppose they ought to be humane suggestions, although right now some very strong poison is tempting....

Adam3322 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:22:18

i have the same problem, only with cat poo!!!! went to hang washing out the other day and stood in some, kids went to play on trampoline and came in and walked it all through the house!! someone said to get a cat so other cats would stay away? not sure though

Aquamarine1029 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:23:25

Try spraying citrus oils all over. You can either buy your own oils or you can buy ready made cat repellents that use citrus oils. Cats hate citrus and it's an environmentally friendly way to keep them away. Hopefully.

itsgoodtobehome Tue 19-Mar-19 14:31:07

Thanks Aqua. Where should you spray it? Just outside on the path and lawn? Would it not get washed or blown away or is it strong enough to withstand the elements?

dreichuplands Tue 19-Mar-19 14:35:49

We found orange peel worked well for cats crapping in our flower beds, it had to be replaced but wasn't unpleasant.
Having our own indoor cat did nothing.

Aquamarine1029 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:44:49

Spray it on the grass, plants, trees, fence, everywhere. You will have to respray every couple of days but it will be worth it.

WeeDangerousSpike Tue 19-Mar-19 14:50:22

Water pistol whenever you see one in the garden. I've also heard of motion activated sprinkler type things for deterring cats.

I have a cat and would be fine with you squirting them so long as it's only water and you're not chasing them onto a main road or something, so it shouldn't cause you problems with the neighbours.

WeeDangerousSpike Tue 19-Mar-19 14:51:29

You can get those audo deterrent things too, although lots of people can hear them so you might not want that.

theconstantinoplegardener Tue 19-Mar-19 14:59:19

The audio deterrents also affect local dogs, wildlife etc who won't necessarily be able to get away from it, so it's a bit unfair I think.

anniehm Tue 19-Mar-19 15:54:05

I can lend you my dog, can guarantee to keep cats at bay!

StillDrSethHazlittMD Tue 19-Mar-19 15:55:09

I've used those audio deterrents and they've worked. Without scaring away birds.

Jaggypinecone Tue 19-Mar-19 15:56:05

Citrus peel works well as does a really cheap but pungent tub of chilli powder or curry powder sprinkled around the place.

Easterbunnyiscomingsoon Tue 19-Mar-19 15:58:23

Get your own dcat!!

CaptainButtock Tue 19-Mar-19 16:04:43

Air rifle? My best ever summer job was being given£10 a day by a mates dad to shoot any cats that came into his garden.
Before anyone starts clutching their pearls, we didn’t hit any but think we put them off!

Ribrabrob Tue 19-Mar-19 16:06:32

You sound absolutely ridiculous. Let's the cats are plotting ways to get rid of the selfish humans in their neighbourhood.

Singlenotsingle Tue 19-Mar-19 16:08:27

Pepper? They don't like pepper!

CaptainButtock Tue 19-Mar-19 16:08:58

But humans are native, cats are not.
Also, I don’t shit in anyone else’s garden. Often. grin

Grumpelstilskin Tue 19-Mar-19 16:16:08

I’ve got 4 greyhounds, so our garden is cat-free. But a friend of mine, had loads of issues with cats. She went all Elle Deco, having a Zen garden with loads of beds of gravel so white, it nearly made me snow-blind. I remember congratulating her on a minimalist design and mentioned that all the neighbourhood cats would rejoice over the ample open-air kitty litters. My prediction came true. I suggesting asking at the nearby zoo for a bit of their lion manure. It actually worked. Apparently, you can now buy lion dung pellets that work for up to 3 months in keeping cats out of your garden. Think Amazon sells them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »