Talk

Advanced search

To ask to share scams and if anyone has had this HMRC scam?

(54 Posts)
Mummyoflittledragon Tue 19-Mar-19 09:50:29

Just had a call from an 0300 number on my mobile very similar to HMRCs number.

The automated voice told me there was a fraud case opened under my name (no name given) to press 1 to be connected otherwise if I terminated the call I would shortly be arrested. I hung up and rang the number back. An automated service told me to input my 10 digit tax code if I had it and wait to speak to an advisor. I then hung up again.

This is a new one on me. Anyone else had this scam or any other scams? I get them on my landline but it’s always bt disconnecting my internet service. This one was actually pretty scary sounding.

Tohaveandtohold Tue 19-Mar-19 09:53:20

I had a similar call last week. Just like what you described. I hung up and blocked the number.

TixieLix Tue 19-Mar-19 09:57:47

Definitely a scam. Fraudsters have cloned HMRCs number to do this one. There's been stuff online about it and it's been happening for months now.

MinesaPinot Tue 19-Mar-19 09:59:56

There was an article in the Daily Fail either yesterday or over the weekend (check their website) about this very thing - this is it:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6820095/Ruthless-swindlers-terrorising-10-000-UK-residents-day-threatening-prison.html

SileneOliveira Tue 19-Mar-19 10:00:18

Of course it's a scam.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 19-Mar-19 10:00:24

Ok thanks. I emailed the info to hmrc as well. I didn’t realise it had been happening for a while now. Good idea to block the number. I do that on my landline.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 19-Mar-19 10:05:24

Minesa
Thanks for the daily fail link. Shocking!

AuntieOxident Tue 19-Mar-19 10:07:04

I get the emails - HMRC owe me a tax refund of £xx on a regular basis, it seems. Just click on the handy link....
(On the rare occasion I have been owed a refund from HMRC, a cheque arrives in the post.)
And a new one recently, supposedly from TV licensing, saying I owe them money. I don't, we pay by annual direct debit and have done for years.
If it doesn't come by post I ignore them all.

OftenHangry Tue 19-Mar-19 10:08:40

Martin Lewis has been warning people too. Problem is that apparently they piggy back on real HMRC number?

Also famous scam is "You are due your tax refund". Sure. Cause inputing my card details includin the back code is something HMRC will want from me....

FookMeFookYou Tue 19-Mar-19 10:13:13

Yes I had this a few months ago for the first time and 2-3 times since. I even reported it to HMRC (sat and waited for 20 mins) but he told me there wasn't anything they could do (BS surely?) and that they would never contact me in that way...that I did the right thing blah blah. I just want the scams/spam/nuisance to stop. Every day now I'm having to block a number 😡 it's fudging irritating

Anniegetyourgun Tue 19-Mar-19 10:14:48

It's not really terribly likely, is it, that HMRC would ring to say if you don't contact them you'll be arrested? I suppose some people must fall for this though, otherwise the scammers wouldn't keep using this method.

I keep getting the BT one telling me my internet will shortly be disconnected. This is a slightly worse fate in my view than being arrested, but funnily enough it still hasn't happened despite my slamming the phone down every time it turns out to be them again. Their latest cute angle is to say that if BT isn't your provider you can press a given number to be connected to another one confused

babysharkah Tue 19-Mar-19 10:15:26

It's a well known scam. Don't call them back!! You can block it but they'll prob call again adjusting the number by 1 digit. Personally, I don't answer my mobile to unknown numbers. If it's important / genuine they'll leave a message.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 19-Mar-19 10:36:52

Oh yes, I’ve had the tv licensing thing a couple of time. I also once clicked on a link. I was really lucky. It was just a fake login page, where I could input anything and get onto the actual page, where they were asking for info. I stopped myself in time. Scams frighten me. I’d rather lose my internet connection than be arrested tbh!

Tovisaornottovisa Tue 19-Mar-19 11:58:39

Yes dh had one

BlueMerchant Tue 19-Mar-19 12:04:53

I had a call last week from a Milton Keynes number saying it was an investigator from hmrc looking into tax evasion. When I told them I wasn't working they said to keep the library e free and they would ring me back. I was do worried I rang the hmrc number on my last letter. They had no record of any call to me and told me they were reporting it as a scam.(The Milton Keynes number was given to police).

SilverySurfer Tue 19-Mar-19 13:54:39

Anniegetyourgun I have had quite a few 'BT' callsover the past few months telling me my internet will be disconnected from today (fate worse than death IMO) and had another five minutes ago. The first time I was a bit concerned but figured it could be a scam so put the phone down, as it has proved to be.

My biggest hate is reserved for Microsoft scammers, I either string them along for 45 minutes or tell them to fuck off and die, depending how I'm feeling.

scaryteacher Tue 19-Mar-19 14:35:35

Silvery I'm in Belgium, so pretend to only speak Flemish when they call. I did have one who spoke to me in French this week, but I soon got rid of her.

SilverySurfer Tue 19-Mar-19 16:24:11

I usually put on a doddery voice and after driving them mad for about 45 with my pseudo incompetence re computers, I end by saying something like 'oh, it says Linux on my computer, is that the same as Windows? which usually results in a muffled scream and the phone going dead grin

I know about 20 Fijian words (mostly numbers and swear words) I must try using that on them next time lol.

DeadCertain Tue 19-Mar-19 16:26:04

I had the same call this morning.

caughtinanet Tue 19-Mar-19 16:30:09

The HMRC call scam has been going on for months and has been quite widely reported, I hope no one's falling for it.

Sparklingbrook Tue 19-Mar-19 16:36:50

Yes, I had a recodrd message one from an HMRC looking number saying there was a warrant out for my arrest apparently. shock

hellsbellsmelons Tue 19-Mar-19 16:38:29

I had a call from 'BT' the other day stating that they were terminating my internet and if that was not my intention to dial 1 etc......
I just hung up.
Did a 1471.
Called BT and reported it.

Also a Paypal one recently as well.
This email stated I had recently changed my address.
If I didn't could I log into my account blah blah blah.
Again - called up Paypal and reported it over the phone and email.

Also had someone hack into my ebay account.
Just called them up and it all got sorted out.

I also had the HMRC one.

Luckily they are easy to spot.

onthenaughtystepagain Tue 19-Mar-19 16:40:41

I work on the theory that all calls like this are cons and hang up. Amazing that people are still falling for these cons, the newspapers are full of them. I also don't agree with the banks being expected to replace conned money, that's their customers' money they're giving away to people who've let themselves be conned.

onthenaughtystepagain Tue 19-Mar-19 16:44:49

I know about 20 Fijian words (mostly numbers and swear words) I must try using that on them next time lol

I used to reply to gobby taxi drivers in Gibraltar 'Hey, Schleswig Holstein', dragging out every syllable, had quite an effect.
When I get a cold call obviously from the sub-continent I usually order a couple of prawn curries and a side of naan.

Duchessgummybuns Tue 19-Mar-19 16:47:18

I had a phishing email from “PayPal” last night with a link. I checked out the email address it had come from and it was Zoe@genericmailservice.com. So I signed her up to mailbait. Enjoy your 12 emails a minute Zoe grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »