Talk

Advanced search

Need some quick advice - wrong name on cheque

(13 Posts)
Stoptheworldandmelt Tue 19-Mar-19 09:17:06

My husband and I both double barrelled when we got married (I know, I know, but my surname is a natural suffix, it works!) but some of his family forget he did his.
He's been sent a cheque in his maiden (?) name, will the bank still accept this? Its essentially his married name without mine tacked on. So instead of Mr hisname-myname it is just Mr hisname.
Thanks!

MatildaTheCat Tue 19-Mar-19 09:19:27

I would just go and present the cheques and see what happens. I’ve had a similar experience and there was no problem.

Finfintytint Tue 19-Mar-19 09:19:30

Can’t the person who sent it send another one and cancel the one you have?

Armi Tue 19-Mar-19 09:21:09

I used to take cheque and marriage certificate to bank.

Stoptheworldandmelt Tue 19-Mar-19 09:22:55

Fin unfortunately the window for getting it too us is too small. There isn't time to post it again in time for what we need it for.

Thanks, I'll take the marriage cert with us.

DeadCertain Tue 19-Mar-19 09:25:25

I received a cheque in my maiden name recently; I took the cheque and my marriage certificate to the bank and had no problem in paying it in.

Hiphopopotamous Tue 19-Mar-19 09:25:27

After I got married, my bank said they would accept a cheque in any name the account had previously been registered in, both maiden and married names (I keep my old name for work).

Jebuschristchocolatebar Tue 19-Mar-19 09:26:37

Take marriage cert and no problems at all.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 19-Mar-19 09:33:45

Honestly. If the cheque is addressed to Mr Smith and your DH is Mr Smith-Jones and there is space on the cheque, I'd find a similar coloured pen and add the rest of his name in the payee box on the cheque.

I've heard that they don't really look that closely at cheques below quite a lot of thousands of pounds anyway. DP got a cheque for refund of his car tax when he sold his car and they spelt both his first and last name wrong - think Jon Stevenson instead of John Stephenson and he paid it in anyway and it cleared as normal.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 19-Mar-19 09:34:24

If you can do the new photo cheque clearing thing, an actual human being might not even look at it anyway.

chuttypicks Tue 19-Mar-19 09:41:53

Ask the cheque sender to do a bank transfer instead. Problem solved.

MereDintofPandiculation Tue 19-Mar-19 09:50:17

Ask the cheque sender to do a bank transfer instead. Problem solved. The reason for the cheque is probably because the sender can't do a bank transfer.

TranquilityofSolitude Tue 19-Mar-19 09:53:07

I often have this problem because I am not known by my actual first name. I had one rejected recently that I had tried to put in electronically using the photo thing in the app, but I just put it in the paying in machine in the bank and it was fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »