Talk

Advanced search

To not go to work with a 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitor?

(191 Posts)
Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 06:54:42

ie.
i cant drive so will need to go on the bus.
i wont be able to use phone - that's ok, i can get away with that
but the noise, everyone will know, and i dont want them to

WinnieTheW0rm Tue 19-Mar-19 07:15:34

Yes, it's best for your health if it is done on a normal working day.

Surely you want that?

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:15:42

swing,
to help me decide, as posters have said, it needs to be a normal day,
my normal will be housework? and a walk?

megletthesecond Tue 19-Mar-19 07:18:23

You need a normal routine.
I went to work and the gym wearing a 24hr heart monitor.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Tue 19-Mar-19 07:19:37

Housework and walking isn't generally stressful in the way work can be

If your BP goes very high during stressful situations then surely that's what you need to find out?

As for the giggles, do you work with a bunch of teenagers? Just explain you're wearing a monitor and I doubt anyone will bat an eyelid

Get the bus in if you can't drive

woollyheart Tue 19-Mar-19 07:22:33

Who told you that wearing it would invalidate your insurance? If that is the case, then there is a major problem using these.

When I wore one, I drove as usual. It didn't cause any problem driving.

Unless you have to get in water as part of your job, you should be able to work as normal. Are you desperate for an excuse to skip work?

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:25:09

did it not inflate wooly? you need to relax your arm, bit difficult when you are driving.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:30:35

My dh will be at home, perhaps he is the cause of my stress ? <<semi joking>>

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:31:16

For those saying not working won't be an ordinary day, well, it won't be an ordinary day anyway, will it because OP will be wearing an annoying, noisy monitor! So, yes, take the day off. Or refuse to wear it. Get your own monitor. They're relatively inexpensive and take your own readings to your own satisfaction. You'll probably be borderline anyway otherwise there would be no need for further measurements. Take the other steps regarding diet, exercise, weight loss, stress, where appropriate to ensure optimum health.

EmeraldShamrock Tue 19-Mar-19 07:33:00

I wore mine to work, it was fine. I think you are supposed to go about your day as normal for a good read.

SileneOliveira Tue 19-Mar-19 07:33:35

i can just imagine the laughter and giggles every time it goes off, every 20 minutes

Really? Most people I know wouldn't have any reaction at all. Perhaps a "what's that noise" the first time, and when you said that you were having your blood pressure monitored, a slight shrug and back to work.

It's not interesting. It's not funny. It's definitely not worth taking a day off for. Seriously, your colleagues won't give a shit.

Lilymoose Tue 19-Mar-19 07:33:40

Interesting to read this thread as I am due to have this next week but am on maternity leave. Definitely wouldn't be able to wear it at my job though.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:34:18

But you can't get a normal read wearing a noisy, annoying monitor! They are obtrusive and create stress of themselves!

frippit Tue 19-Mar-19 07:34:20

I went to work with mine on it monitored every hour. I didn't tell anyone and if they noticed no one said anything!

woollyheart Tue 19-Mar-19 07:34:57

It did inflate while I was driving, but I ignored it. I didn't relax my arm when I was driving. When I went in to look at the results, they asked what I was doing at the time I was driving so it must have affected the readings.

It doesn't really matter if absolutely every reading isn't taken in perfect conditions. They are just trying to get an idea of how your blood pressure varies over your typical day. It might be that these immature people you work with are the ones stressing you.

frippit Tue 19-Mar-19 07:35:30

Might be a bit awkward if you're in a meeting or doing a presentation though.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:38:04

Really? Most people I know wouldn't have any reaction at all. Perhaps a "what's that noise" the first time, and when you said that you were having your blood pressure monitored, a slight shrug and back to work.

It's not other people reaction that will affect readings. It's the OP's reaction and how she feels. So if she feels anything less than relaxed as much as she usually is there will be false positive results.

Tbh, I would say your apprehension invalidates the exercise, op. You need a way to measure that does not make you feel apprehensive.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:39:35

thanks coolcrisp - that is what i shall do, take steps to improve my bp today, go for a long walk and keep busy and active

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:41:07

Decision made, thanks all.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:41:40

In those circumstances I would refuse to wear one. I have 'white coat syndrome'. Got my own monitor. Proved it. BP normal outside of a clinical setting. Sometimes, with breathing and relaxation techniques I can bring my BP down in a clinical setting too, now.

SD1978 Tue 19-Mar-19 07:41:55

The whole point though, is to monitor a day of normal activity, to gauge the fluctuations. If you change your day, it won't necessarily pick up the issues that you are wearing the device due to.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:42:49

X post. I think you have made a sensible choice, op. Keep a check on your BP but getting stressed about it is counterproductive!😁

Thegoodthere Tue 19-Mar-19 07:42:59

No wonder you have high blood pressure with this level of overthinking. I wore one of these, the worst thing about it was waking up regularly all night. Told colleagues what was happening, no one gave a shit.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:43:08

Surely the point of wearing is to prove white coat hypertension, ie, without the white coat you are ok

grabba Tue 19-Mar-19 07:43:27

I can't believe your colleagues would laugh at you sad if it were my colleague I would show concern.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Tue 19-Mar-19 07:43:51

I did and it wasn’t really any bother. I can’t remember any noise but I assume it must’ve had hissed a bit. It was my normal environment - no use checking BP if you are lying on the sofa watching tv!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »