Talk

Advanced search

To not go to work with a 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitor?

(191 Posts)
Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 06:54:42

ie.
i cant drive so will need to go on the bus.
i wont be able to use phone - that's ok, i can get away with that
but the noise, everyone will know, and i dont want them to

EnlightenmentwasaPassingPhase Tue 19-Mar-19 06:57:37

Call in sick.

eco1636 Tue 19-Mar-19 07:00:35

I drove with it on didn't know you weren't supposed to....

Watto1 Tue 19-Mar-19 07:01:06

But the monitor is there to show how your blood pressure fluctuates on a typical day. Wearing it while you’re chilling out at home would give different results to the results you would get going to work, using the bus etc. I think you should go. I know it’s a bit embarrassing, but getting an accurate picture of your health is more important.

BarryTheKestrel Tue 19-Mar-19 07:02:01

Is there a reason you don't want people to know that your blood pressure is being checked?

I don't blame you for not wanting to go to work as they are awkward and it's annoying but I'm not sure I could justify a sick day for it.

If your trust is anything like ours the monitors are huge, heavy and cumbersome. When I had mine I'd already promised my daughter we'd go to the Zoo, it was middle of summer and I ended up wondering around the zoo in a tank top with a huge cuff on my arm and the monitor in an extra bag. I would have rather been sat at my desk at work, or on the sofa at home.

LIZS Tue 19-Mar-19 07:02:14

It is fine. I drove too, and it is not as noisy as you think.

Thunderpunt Tue 19-Mar-19 07:02:15

I drove with mine, and I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to use the telephone? It's quite discreet and although it's not silent, it's really not that loud.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Tue 19-Mar-19 07:02:36

What Watto1 says

You need to replicate a 'normal day' for you or wearing the monitor for 24hrs is pointless

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:04:12

no i cant drive because it inflates every 20 minutes and my drive is longer than 20 minutes., insurance company wont cover it apparently.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:04:52

it isnt discreet it is noisy.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:05:28

I am hoping to go out for a walk

LIZS Tue 19-Mar-19 07:07:03

Agree it needs to be a normal working day. Can you not pull over when it is due to go off?

Bayleyf Tue 19-Mar-19 07:08:36

When I had it I went to work by tube and had a totally normal day, including phone calls and meetings.

Don't drive if you won't be covered, but taking a day off for it seems a bit like skiving.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:09:50

i dont have to work, it is a flexi day. so no problem in that regard.

sammylady37 Tue 19-Mar-19 07:10:02

I went to work with mine and drove with it on. No need to call in sick.

Skittlesss Tue 19-Mar-19 07:10:06

You must have a normal day to get an accurate reading.

Sirzy Tue 19-Mar-19 07:10:19

The idea of it is that it’s a normal day so taking a day off work seems counterproductive.

It sounds like you have it on now so taking a day off sick would be unreasonable. If anything you should have booked a holiday when you got the date.

Skittlesss Tue 19-Mar-19 07:11:17

By flexindonyou mean you don’t normally work on a Tuesday? Or do you mean you will take the time from the hours you have built up?

Either way, have a normal day to get normal results.

SummerHouse Tue 19-Mar-19 07:11:27

I would go to work.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:12:07

my decision whether i work or not on a couple of days a week, they dont mind if i dont

swingofthings Tue 19-Mar-19 07:12:53

I did and it didn't cross my mind not too. Although medics have to say that car insurance wouldn't cover, it isn't black or white. It would be if the blood pressure caused you to pass out. I drove.

Yes it made a noise and I explained I was being monitored, said nothing else and no-one cared.

Having your BP monitored is not an illness.

Stinkycatbreath Tue 19-Mar-19 07:13:44

There is no reason why you cant drive unless some clinical reason. I had one on and was advised to do what I do normally in a day as it needs to take a representative reading of a typical day. I'd check about driving with insurance etc. But you arent I'll, you may need to use that day when you are actually sick.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:14:22

i can just imagine the laughter and giggles every time it goes off, every 20 minutes blush

swingofthings Tue 19-Mar-19 07:14:24

So you don't have to work today them? So why post the question?

Danceskirunandsun Tue 19-Mar-19 07:15:32

As Watto1 and shagged says, it’s all about a normal day, a walk isn’t your normal routine, you should go to work. If you’re not going, it’s not a sick day, as you’re not ill. In my organisation you would have to ask for leave.

WinnieTheW0rm Tue 19-Mar-19 07:15:34

Yes, it's best for your health if it is done on a normal working day.

Surely you want that?

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:15:42

swing,
to help me decide, as posters have said, it needs to be a normal day,
my normal will be housework? and a walk?

megletthesecond Tue 19-Mar-19 07:18:23

You need a normal routine.
I went to work and the gym wearing a 24hr heart monitor.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Tue 19-Mar-19 07:19:37

Housework and walking isn't generally stressful in the way work can be

If your BP goes very high during stressful situations then surely that's what you need to find out?

As for the giggles, do you work with a bunch of teenagers? Just explain you're wearing a monitor and I doubt anyone will bat an eyelid

Get the bus in if you can't drive

woollyheart Tue 19-Mar-19 07:22:33

Who told you that wearing it would invalidate your insurance? If that is the case, then there is a major problem using these.

When I wore one, I drove as usual. It didn't cause any problem driving.

Unless you have to get in water as part of your job, you should be able to work as normal. Are you desperate for an excuse to skip work?

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:25:09

did it not inflate wooly? you need to relax your arm, bit difficult when you are driving.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:30:35

My dh will be at home, perhaps he is the cause of my stress ? <<semi joking>>

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:31:16

For those saying not working won't be an ordinary day, well, it won't be an ordinary day anyway, will it because OP will be wearing an annoying, noisy monitor! So, yes, take the day off. Or refuse to wear it. Get your own monitor. They're relatively inexpensive and take your own readings to your own satisfaction. You'll probably be borderline anyway otherwise there would be no need for further measurements. Take the other steps regarding diet, exercise, weight loss, stress, where appropriate to ensure optimum health.

EmeraldShamrock Tue 19-Mar-19 07:33:00

I wore mine to work, it was fine. I think you are supposed to go about your day as normal for a good read.

SileneOliveira Tue 19-Mar-19 07:33:35

i can just imagine the laughter and giggles every time it goes off, every 20 minutes

Really? Most people I know wouldn't have any reaction at all. Perhaps a "what's that noise" the first time, and when you said that you were having your blood pressure monitored, a slight shrug and back to work.

It's not interesting. It's not funny. It's definitely not worth taking a day off for. Seriously, your colleagues won't give a shit.

Lilymoose Tue 19-Mar-19 07:33:40

Interesting to read this thread as I am due to have this next week but am on maternity leave. Definitely wouldn't be able to wear it at my job though.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:34:18

But you can't get a normal read wearing a noisy, annoying monitor! They are obtrusive and create stress of themselves!

frippit Tue 19-Mar-19 07:34:20

I went to work with mine on it monitored every hour. I didn't tell anyone and if they noticed no one said anything!

woollyheart Tue 19-Mar-19 07:34:57

It did inflate while I was driving, but I ignored it. I didn't relax my arm when I was driving. When I went in to look at the results, they asked what I was doing at the time I was driving so it must have affected the readings.

It doesn't really matter if absolutely every reading isn't taken in perfect conditions. They are just trying to get an idea of how your blood pressure varies over your typical day. It might be that these immature people you work with are the ones stressing you.

frippit Tue 19-Mar-19 07:35:30

Might be a bit awkward if you're in a meeting or doing a presentation though.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:38:04

Really? Most people I know wouldn't have any reaction at all. Perhaps a "what's that noise" the first time, and when you said that you were having your blood pressure monitored, a slight shrug and back to work.

It's not other people reaction that will affect readings. It's the OP's reaction and how she feels. So if she feels anything less than relaxed as much as she usually is there will be false positive results.

Tbh, I would say your apprehension invalidates the exercise, op. You need a way to measure that does not make you feel apprehensive.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:39:35

thanks coolcrisp - that is what i shall do, take steps to improve my bp today, go for a long walk and keep busy and active

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:41:07

Decision made, thanks all.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:41:40

In those circumstances I would refuse to wear one. I have 'white coat syndrome'. Got my own monitor. Proved it. BP normal outside of a clinical setting. Sometimes, with breathing and relaxation techniques I can bring my BP down in a clinical setting too, now.

SD1978 Tue 19-Mar-19 07:41:55

The whole point though, is to monitor a day of normal activity, to gauge the fluctuations. If you change your day, it won't necessarily pick up the issues that you are wearing the device due to.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:42:49

X post. I think you have made a sensible choice, op. Keep a check on your BP but getting stressed about it is counterproductive!😁

Thegoodthere Tue 19-Mar-19 07:42:59

No wonder you have high blood pressure with this level of overthinking. I wore one of these, the worst thing about it was waking up regularly all night. Told colleagues what was happening, no one gave a shit.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:43:08

Surely the point of wearing is to prove white coat hypertension, ie, without the white coat you are ok

grabba Tue 19-Mar-19 07:43:27

I can't believe your colleagues would laugh at you sad if it were my colleague I would show concern.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Tue 19-Mar-19 07:43:51

I did and it wasn’t really any bother. I can’t remember any noise but I assume it must’ve had hissed a bit. It was my normal environment - no use checking BP if you are lying on the sofa watching tv!

mummmy2017 Tue 19-Mar-19 07:46:39

Why when this is a check to show the doctors what triggers your blood pressure and stress levels are you doing a rest day instead of going to work, to get a true reading?
If work normally makes it rise to dangerous levels, your rest day will not show this, so your whole test will give a false reading, meaning your treatment is to be based on false dater.
So you are endangering your health, by not going to work.

WonderTweek Tue 19-Mar-19 07:46:47

I think if I had to wear one to work it would stress me out and give a false reading. grin I know the decision has been made but I suppose it would also depend on your job. I work in an office so sit on my backside most of the day, so maybe working from home wouldn't be much different BP wise. Either way, hope your BP is ok OP. smile

Mouikey Tue 19-Mar-19 07:47:24

OP, you’ve said that you would take flexi today, this suggests on a ‘normal’ Tuesday (or today specifically) you would expect to be working. If dry it husband isn’t Althea casevyou would be doing yourself and your consultant/nurse/doctor a disservice to do something not in you normal routine.

But you clearly don’t want to for all the (imho) lame excuses you’ve set out, so don’t! You’re an adult, you can make the choice, but please don’t moan when you get the results and they don’t reflect what you went for to the drs for in the first place.

Seemingly everyone here thinks YABU not to go about your working day.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:47:51

no use checking BP if you are lying on the sofa watching tv!

Well, no use checking in a clinical setting either, then!

The op is not a medical guinea pig! If her BP was dangerous she would have been put on immediate medication. She needs to check regularly and make the correct lifestyle choices to ensure optimal cardio vascular health.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 19-Mar-19 07:48:00

I wore one to work, for three days running. The first day I found it irritating; hence having to wear it for more. No one was really that interested once they'd seen it and it had gone off for the first time. People are generally much more interested in themselves than you, even if it doesn't feel like that at times.

By all means take it at home today, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they ask you to wear it on a work day too - if you really can't bring yourself to do that, this test isn't going to work for you.

Try not to stress about it too much thanks

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:51:14

but please don’t moan when you get the results and they don’t reflect what you went for to the drs for in the first place.

Monitoring does not improve blood pressure. It is just a series of measurements. Lifestyle choices do.

Thegoodthere Tue 19-Mar-19 07:52:46

@coolcrispsnow, they check it to establish if it is a problem, or white coat hypertension, then they medicate.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 07:54:12

blood pressure is taken at doctors/nurse or at occ health.

not while i am generally working at my desk.

perhaps arguing the toss on mumsnet will raise it? wink

but i know the causes of blood pressure which probably include too much coffee!

JustTwoMoreSecs Tue 19-Mar-19 07:54:33

I went to school with one at 14. I was mortified initially but noone cared. Missing work would be a step too far IMO

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:55:21

Surely the point of wearing is to prove white coat hypertension, ie, without the white coat you are ok

Honestly, you don't need to prove anything to anyone else up yourself. Get your own monitor. They are relatively cheap and pretty reliable. I even had a midwife check that mine was calibrated correctly for me.

To check for white coat syndrome, yes, you do need to remove the stress of the test.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 07:59:35

@*coolcrispsnow, they check it to establish if it is a problem, or white coat hypertension, then they medicate.*

I know that. I have white coat syndrome. However we are talking about levels here. Dangerously high blood pressure needs to be brought down ASAP. If they are monitoring like this OP is not in that situation. She is the right candidate for making lifestyle changes to ensure optimal cardiovascular health.

Thegoodthere Tue 19-Mar-19 07:59:58

Prove anything? You need verified medical results to get medication. It's not a competition.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 08:01:44

Prove anything? You need verified medical results to get medication. It's not a competition.

I would have thought op would prefer not to need medication, ideally.

Thegoodthere Tue 19-Mar-19 08:02:00

Crisp, when my high BP was verified I was then sent to a cardiologist to check I had no underlying heart condition causing my BP. Its not necessarily "lifestyle changes". Christ, so much angst about a one day test

CaptainMyCaptain Tue 19-Mar-19 08:02:49

A colleague of mine (teacher) had to wear one, she thought it was work that was giving her high blood pressure but it was, in fact, her complicated home life. You need to do normal things to get a proper picture.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 08:05:56

A patients angst and stress levels does affect testing, though. You can't wave a magic wand, unfortunately. If she needs a cardiologist appointment so be it. But if her levels were such to require ones that happens within a very short space of time. I have also had numerous ECGs too because they are naturally cautious before cancer treatments/ operations. They can refer very quickly if need be.

Howdidthisbecomemylife Tue 19-Mar-19 08:06:14

I’ve worn these lots and always just functioned as normal, driven, worked in a retail environment, done the shopping, everyone will have come across one before and it really won’t provoke a reaction when it goes off. My son has also had to wear one to school. Just get on with it.

SouthernComforts Tue 19-Mar-19 08:06:16

My dd wore one to school, then after school activity a few months ago. If your colleagues are less mature than 9 year olds then that's worrying. Go to work and fuck what anyone says.

sashh Tue 19-Mar-19 08:06:52

coolcrispsnow

You are talking absolute bollocks.

The whole point of 24 hr BP is to see if there are any patterns to it, that's who it should be a normal working day.

You cannot make a diagnosis over the internet, you have no idea what other tests are being done or the results of any previous tests.

As for, 'probably borderline' - borderline what? Hypotensive? Hypertensive? Syncope?

OP

PLEASE go in to work. you are wearing several hundred £ of equipment designed to monitor 24 hours of normal life.

This test is costing the NHS money and the time for someone to fit it and analyse it.

If you do not have a normal day then you might as well not bother with it.

You should have told the physiologist fitting it about your commute, the monitor can be programmed to not go off for a hour while you are driving.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 08:08:30

nope, they know my work commute, and were unable to programme it

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 08:09:22

what has normal working day got to do with it? seriously? that is not the issue, who ever said it was?

SushiGo Tue 19-Mar-19 08:09:48

So much incorrect information on this thread!

Please just do it properly and go to work. It's not about proving someone wrong, it's about your health.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 08:10:59

sashh, I am not attempting to diagnose. I am just pointing out to the op that she does have a choice to make the right treatment choices for her, personally. Stress is good for nobody especially with regards to blood pressure. The bottom line is if she tell her doctor how she feels about the monitoring and her blood pressure is such that she needs referral to a cardiologist then that is still a good choice.

FiveLittlePigs Tue 19-Mar-19 08:14:57

I agree with sashh

The gp needs a picture of your normal day. I've worn one a few times: to work, on the bus, shopping, chairing a meeting etc and yes, people may ask out of curiosity but adults accept it. Upthread there were 9 year old children who accepted it without laughing.

It's your health. hmm Sitting at home is not going to give the picture of your normal day. Up to you.

HogMother Tue 19-Mar-19 08:17:04

As you know the causes of high bp, then you will also know one can be stress. It will benefit to show them how being at home compares with work, and general activity. I find housework less stressful than work personally. If the machine can’t take a reading it will stop trying after a couple of attempts (when driving).
My colleagues didn’t react. It couldn’t be heard over the general hum of the office.
Go to work

madcatladyforever Tue 19-Mar-19 08:17:50

I went to work in the NHS with it on YABU.

Ispywithmycynicaleye Tue 19-Mar-19 08:18:33

However we are talking about levels here. Dangerously high blood pressure needs to be brought down ASAP. If they are monitoring like this OP is not in that situation. She is the right candidate for making lifestyle changes to ensure optimal cardiovascular health.

I was monitored like this. I don't have dangerously high levels. I am on medication as my bp is consistently high. This testing was part of my diagnosis of a genetic disorder. My bp has been high for years, including when I was very fit and spent most days in the gym. Lifestyle choices won't fix my bp!

Skittlesss Tue 19-Mar-19 08:19:27

Cool, it’s obvious you’re trying to help, but it could have the wrong effect on her. She’s already said
thanks coolcrisp - that is what i shall do, take steps to improve my bp today
So on the day she needs to be realistic she’s planned on taking steps to improve her bp. Surely that will give a false impression?!

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 08:19:34

The OPs gp is trained to be sympathetic to the OPs individual needs regarding what she says makes her feel anxious and stressed. If she voices her concerns she should be listened to and her own choices regarding her own health respected.

JaneEyre07 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:20:41

I've had to wear one a few times and a heart monitor. So what?

It's very weird to take the day off OP, and completely invalidates the reason for wearing it. It'll be your health that suffers in the long term, no one else's. And you are wasting valuable resources.

Thegoodthere Tue 19-Mar-19 08:21:30

Unmedicated, my BP reaches hypertensive crisis levels. If op wants to have a tantrum about a test and have a stroke, crack on.

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 08:23:16

So on the day she needs to be realistic she’s planned on taking steps to improve her bp. Surely that will give a false impression?!

Oh god forbid she should improve her BP today and get better readings! grin

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 08:25:51

c'mon, who said it was my work causing bp? did i?
bp is caused by too much coffee, salt, not enough exercise, being overweight.
this is what i need to improve, i know this

Thegoodthere Tue 19-Mar-19 08:26:06

If its a false positive, then yes! Jesus christ.

UnspiritualHome Tue 19-Mar-19 08:27:15

hat is what i shall do, take steps to improve my bp today, go for a long walk and keep busy and active

But then it won't be a useful reading, will it, it will be artificially "improved".

Why wouldn't a normal working day be the issue? Surely the doctors want to monitor your BP over a typical day including situations when you might normally be stressed, whereas what you are planning seems to be completely untypical.

Skittlesss Tue 19-Mar-19 08:27:20

Errr, yes god forbid - because tmw she might go back to being normal and having high blood pressure but the doctors won’t know that as her test on 19/03 said she had perfect BP. grin

Nephilim1964 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:28:17

I had to wear a heart monitor for a week. I just carried on as normal and made a joke of it if anyone asked me about it. If you spend the whole time chilling at home the results will be pointless.

UnspiritualHome Tue 19-Mar-19 08:28:29

How do you know your work doesn't affect your BP? And how will the doctors know unless you include work in your monitoring session?

Thegoodthere Tue 19-Mar-19 08:28:32

Then don't take the fucking test and quit wasting NHS time.

I'm not overweight, don't drink coffee, salt levels fine. I have chronic hypertension of unknown cause. But if you know what you need to do to improve your BP, then do it and quit whinging.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 08:30:50

how do i know work doesnt affect my bp?
because when i have had readings, I am not at work, who knows, perhaps it does, but the high readings have been with the nurse/occ health, not at my desk, so being at my desk is irrelevant

coolcrispsnow Tue 19-Mar-19 08:31:01

This testing was part of my diagnosis of a genetic disorder

I presume the doctor explained what sort of things this style of monitoring was aimed at detecting, in your case, though.

BlueMerchant Tue 19-Mar-19 08:32:54

You obviously have already decided you are not going to go into work but I think it's a good idea like you said, to go for a walk so you are active and not just sitting sedentary waiting for the noise to start up....
It's great you are doing something to improve and assess your health.

Celticrose Tue 19-Mar-19 08:39:14

I had one of these. I drove to work 30 miles no problem. Just did my normal days work including using the phone. Sitting in the clinic waiting room I had a look at the printout and where my bp had been high at one point was when I knew I was just sitting watching TV.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 19-Mar-19 08:39:30

how do i know work doesnt affect my bp?
because when i have had readings, I am not at work, who knows, perhaps it does

Well there’s one way to find out...

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 08:40:09

that's interesting celticross

onefootinthegrave Tue 19-Mar-19 08:49:30

OP, most people are telling you YABU unreasonable because you are, but you seem to have your fingers in your ear. By reading your posts, it's clear you had no intention of going into work today, you were just waiting for someone to come along and tell you to stay at home. Well, you got it, so do what you want. But a lot of people here are giving you very valid reasons why you should go into work to be monitored on a normal day. You're ignoring them, so I agree with the PP that said have it your way, crack on and don't worry about decreasing your chances of having a stroke. FFS

dublinmammy1982 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:49:42

I'm going against the grain here. I had one last year. I thought I should go into work with it in as then it's a typical day being monitored. When I spoke to the physiologist at my initial apt (when you have the ECHO), he said I needed to be sat with my arm in a relaxed position when the monitor went off. The nature of my job means that wasn't possible. His advice was to take the day off if I could. So I did. That was on their advice. Local NHS service, I did not make that up.
OP, do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I went on a cycle ride to a local shopping mall and went shopping. I just stopped as necessary
The people on here taking input wasting NHS money etc are being really unfair about what is a perfectly valid question hmm

smurfy2015 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:53:12

I have this done approx every 3 months, its a totally normal day as it gives the most accurate reading, most of my days are in hypertensive crisis, I don't add salt to anything, I move as much as physically possible for me considering I am bedbound thru paralysis on a very regular basis. Mine is caused partly by a tumour which is closely related to Bp and other factors which I am being treated for one at a time and I'm currently maxed out on both anti hypertensives but got review tomorrow so go from there. The hardest part for me was keeping the cat 🐱 from attacking it as obvs that inflatable arm band in her mind is attacking me and she wants to fight it off.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Tue 19-Mar-19 08:54:58

there were old posts in mumsnet with questions about it, none of those were so sweary hmm

mumsnet has changed
there is no need for all this FFS,
it is not work induced blood pressure that is being monitored. but no one can seem to appreciate this.

eurochick Tue 19-Mar-19 08:55:31

Unless you work in a preschool I can't imagine why there would be giggling when it inflates.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »