Talk

Advanced search

To get fed up with shit pockets

(114 Posts)
Curiousmum69 Tue 19-Mar-19 06:19:47

Why are the pockets in women's jeans so shit?

Me and my husband own jeans from the same shop and I accidentally put his jeans on this morning....and OMG! The pockets are cave like...my phone fits all the way in with extra room!!

Aibu to think companies are sexist and there is no reason for this to be a thing?

Mominatrix Thu 21-Mar-19 16:15:57

Topseyt , I never carry a bag to dog walk and wear:

Winter: An Oof jacket. Capacious pockets and is machine washable.

Spring/Fall: A Uniqlo ultra light down jacket or gillet

Summer: running vest from Nike. Lots of pockets and extremely lightweight with vent holes.

animaginativeusername Thu 21-Mar-19 09:14:38

I like the baggy loose clothing, for which sea-salt is great, their pockets are very good, same with boden dresses - a lot more practical in warm weather

TapasForTwo Wed 20-Mar-19 15:39:54

And what is it with zips that look like they are pockets on the front of clothes?

Just an unnecessary extra expense.

Oceanbliss Wed 20-Mar-19 14:38:19

Oh and one more thing, fake pockets. I have a nice pair of pants that have what appears to be the opening of two front pockets but they are closed with no pockets at all. I remember my partner at the time being surprised when he tried to slip something in them and discovering that they weren't real. He asked me why, I said I didn't really know why. He thought it odd, I do too.

Oceanbliss Wed 20-Mar-19 14:17:32

Haven't rtft yet but wanted to put my 2 cents worth in. I injured my shoulder and my back and really couldn't carry any kind of handbag or backpack. With a lengthy recovery period (months) I still had to get on with day to day tasks. I wanted to be able to carry money, keys, phone, drink bottle etc with me and still have a hand free to hold my dd's hand especially when crossing the road. So, I went looking for a decent pair of cargo pants for good sized pockets to carry stuff. All the women's cargo pants in my price range resembled decorative cargo pants. They had fewer pockets then the men's and seemed less sturdy. I looked in camping supply stores and found what I was looking for but they were twice the price of the previous shop's men's range. So, I ended up buying 2 pairs of men's cargo pants. I love them. I measured my waist for the size in inches then went up one size to allow for my hip size. With a belt they fit perfectly. The pockets are great. The quality of the fabric, stitching is great especially for the price. Comparing my men's pants to my women's pants I think the quality for similar price range is better in the men's pants. Also, carrying my stuff on my body rather than in a bag is much more comfortable and freeing.

www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-buy-mens-jeans-for-a-girl/

Treefloof Wed 20-Mar-19 13:58:10

Women's clothing is often so impractical here. I have sometimes resorted to buying jackets that are for men if I need a new one and can find nothing with decent pockets
I resort to OHs big coat on bad days, it also has an adjustable hood so it wont flap over your eyes when crossing roads. Sigh I have never had an adjustable hood AND pockets.
And good days I take a "day pack"
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHA0S9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&ie=UTF8

Holds two balls, lots of poo bags, treats, wipes, and keys. Can either tie round waist or cross body or one shoulder or round neck.

Topseyt Wed 20-Mar-19 13:20:58

This has always annoyed me, and especially since I have had two dogs who need walked, often meaning that I am in fields and having a handbag with me is not practical. All trousers, shorts and coats that I buy need to have good pockets so that I can safely fit in my phone, keys, dog treats, look bags and a bit of money.

Women's clothing is often so impractical here. I have sometimes resorted to buying jackets that are for men if I need a new one and can find nothing with decent pockets.

I have even had bum bag belts to help out with the lack of pocket space in women's clothing.

Why are women not supposed to need proper pockets?

moonbells Wed 20-Mar-19 12:44:55

OK so anyone want to form a clothing company based around stylish stuff with decent pockets?

Definitely a pocket in the market...

gamerwidow Wed 20-Mar-19 12:31:10

I don't care whether decent-sized pockets would make my arse or hips look even bigger big. I want practical pockets that I can actually use.

Ah, but you see you are a woman you can't want practical clothes you must only wish to look sexy.

Treefloof Wed 20-Mar-19 11:32:23

With skinny jeans i understand why the front pockets are teeny, but not why the back pockets cant hold anything either
Oh I have skinny jeggings from white stuff, high waisted ones too, they fit really well and have really quite large back pockets. I can get a large bunch of keys in easily. No actual front pockets mind but oh well.

TapasForTwo Wed 20-Mar-19 10:41:40

C and A closed down in the UK about 18 years ago.

Doobydoobeedoo Wed 20-Mar-19 10:34:26

I have very small hands. When I buy gloves I often have to buy them from the children's section as the adult ones are huge.

I can't even fit more than about half of my hand into my jeans pockets.

Teenage DS has hands the size of shovels. His entire hand fits into all of his pockets and with room to spare.

I have no interest in handbags or shoulder bags. I don't care whether decent-sized pockets would make my arse or hips look even bigger big. I want practical pockets that I can actually use.

mastertomsmum Wed 20-Mar-19 10:11:55

C and A jeans - does C and A still exist in UK?

TapasForTwo Wed 20-Mar-19 10:09:46

I can't wear men's jeans as I am not man shaped. I have hips and a waist.

MTGGirl Wed 20-Mar-19 10:06:35

The upside of being petite: I wear jeans from the kids section for 16 yr olds. Always go for the boys!!

theemmadilemma Wed 20-Mar-19 09:21:18

I was moaning about this not so long ago myself. Useless pockets on women's jeans. With phone payment etc. I often just want to grab my phone and keys. But my fucking not huge phone will not fit in most of my jean pockets.

Harebellsies Wed 20-Mar-19 09:16:19

This thread inspires me to extend my trouser pockets by sewing in extra fabric, and to add inner coat pockets. Not that i have time, but theoretically i could do it.
Definitely agree that it is ridiculous that womens coats ( high quality skiwear and parkas excluded) have no inner pocket for wallets or phones. Means that items have to fit in the outer pockets where they will get pickpocketed.
With skinny jeans i understand why the front pockets are teeny, but not why the back pockets cant hold anything either. confused

BarryTheKestrel Wed 20-Mar-19 09:07:48

My current jeans have fake pockets. What the hell is the point in pockets of illusion???

Give me real pockets damn it!

megletthesecond Wed 20-Mar-19 09:04:24

I've started buying men's jeans. Huge pockets.

deydododatdodontdeydo Wed 20-Mar-19 09:00:29

I love pockets, and ensure that I have good pockets in my clothes by buying clothes with good pockets.
I hate shopping, do most of it online and never struggle to find clothes with pockets.
Maybe it's because I don't buy "fashion" clothes.

lololove Wed 20-Mar-19 08:59:24

Cross body, not over the shoulder *

lololove Wed 20-Mar-19 08:57:52

I miss the combat trouser fashion of my teen years (yes I wore the 'boy' version too.) you could get hell of a lot in those proper pockets at the top then the long rectangular trousers in the legs too. Those where the days! Especially when they closed with a zip or even little button so your stuff stayed where you put it rather than the current diagonal trousers pocket where it all slips out when sat down

Hatehatehate carrying bags and having my hands full. Problem is having a long torso and short legs means over the shoulder straps don't always fit properly on bags and sadly rucksacks aren't secure enough for carrying purse / phone. I really hope my current handbag never breaks because it's the only one comfortable enough to wear over the shoulder that I've found that doesn't wear like an outside bra trying to finish directly under my boobs and haul them up.

MyEyesAreNotDeceivingMe Tue 19-Mar-19 23:18:04

Amen too. My Didrikson winter coat has amazing pockets, all 7 of them. Amazing. The most I can get in jeans pockets is some lose change and since my phone leapt out of my back pocket and in to the loo I’m reluctant to put it there.

Inside pockets in women's coats and jackets could be done to not affect the line of the garment.

PickAChew Tue 19-Mar-19 23:07:47

Seasalt do good coat pockets, btw.

Thesuzle Tue 19-Mar-19 23:03:59

Pockets in PJ’s anyone ? well get thee to “Yawn “ a fabulous nightwear maker, pockets a go go....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »