Talk

Advanced search

To get fed up with shit pockets

(114 Posts)
Curiousmum69 Tue 19-Mar-19 06:19:47

Why are the pockets in women's jeans so shit?

Me and my husband own jeans from the same shop and I accidentally put his jeans on this morning....and OMG! The pockets are cave like...my phone fits all the way in with extra room!!

Aibu to think companies are sexist and there is no reason for this to be a thing?

ScrumpyBetty Tue 19-Mar-19 09:13:41

I like it, the simplicity of pockets being used for a revolutionary act. I don't do handbags because I've never been a girly girl, and when I'm choosing a coat, large pockets are a requirement because so much stuff lives in my coat pockets.

smellsofelderberries Tue 19-Mar-19 09:15:15

Huge benefit of making my own clothes, pockets errywhere!

thecatsthecats Tue 19-Mar-19 09:17:18

Lol at the people saying 'Duh, silly wimmins, we need smaller pockets to LOOK better, it's not a feminist thing. Besides, you can spend extra money on a handbag, girlies'.

Whilst the rest of us drown in the irony...

AuntVanya Tue 19-Mar-19 10:12:38

For me, using a bag and not using pockets is for practical reasons, convenience, security and comfort. Not to do with being manipulated to spend on a bag or looking nice.

DanielRicciardosSmile Tue 19-Mar-19 10:46:31

I have one pair of jeans that have amazing pockets. Unfortunately they are the least comfortable pair of jeans I own, but I guess you can't have everything.

AuntVanya Tue 19-Mar-19 11:41:28

You can analyse pockets as a feminist concept but it doesn't mean they only exist as a feminist concept.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 13:27:12

People who think that pockets are a feminist issue really are searching for things to blame the patriarchy on.

Men's trouser pockets are not roomy enough to carry large phones, a wallet and keys. In order to accommodate all of these items, many wear jackets or coats or carry bags. Last time I checked, my jackets and coats had perfectly adequate pockets which can accommodate all of these basic items.

As I said, I have never had a problem due to lack of pockets and I often leave the house without any kind of bag.

Geekster1963 Tue 19-Mar-19 13:29:39

YANBU at all. I hate that women's jeans have such pathetic pockets. I have some trousers that I got from GAP that have cavernous pockets in and I love them.

isabellerossignol Tue 19-Mar-19 13:31:38

It is hardly a feminist issue - many women carry handbags which nullify the need for large pockets.

Or alternatively, they carry bags because they don't have pockets in their clothes.

I've never had a pair of ladies jeans that have had decent pockets. When I was a young skinny thing I just solved the problem by wearing mens jeans, but I wouldn't fancy doing that now.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 13:33:44

Isabelle - Try boyfriend jeans or straight leg jeans. I have never had a problem with small pockets.

PutyourtoponTrevor Tue 19-Mar-19 13:34:23

So everyone having trouble with the size of pockets must be lying then Mominatrix?

I wear M&S jeans because they are the only length that fit (short) and their pockets are shit.

MulticolourMophead Tue 19-Mar-19 13:39:13

I've only had one pair of jeans ever that had decent pockets, yet my 15 yr old DS can get loads in his pockets.

I may take a look at mens jeans next time.

Numptysod Tue 19-Mar-19 13:47:13

Off subject I used to love C&A pity they left uk

AuntVanya Tue 19-Mar-19 14:33:52

I don't want jeans pockets that I can fit a laptop or umbrella in. I'm happy to use a bag.

FiveLittlePigs Tue 19-Mar-19 15:56:38

My jeans from Bon Marche have amazingly big pockets, I can put my phone or wallet in them. Love them!

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 15:59:30

I am also short and have never had a problem. Try Current/Elliot jeans.

MuddlingMackem Tue 19-Mar-19 16:06:14

Ah, I've been complaining about this for decades. I have one pair of men's shorts and I love them for the pockets, but obviously I rarely wear those. Unfortunately I'm not the right shape for men's trousers. DD is now of a shape which means she can no longer wear her brother's hand-me-down trousers, and she's really feeling the pocket issue.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:13

Just to make sure that I was not crazy, I just measured the length of the front pockets of 2 different pairs of my jeans (both Current/Elliot) - 22cm(boyfriend style) and 21.5 cm (girlfriend style). I also measured a pair of my straight leg chinos (Uniqlo) which measured 21 cm. I then measured the length of the front pocket of my husband's jeans (Belstaff)( and they measured 22.5 cm.

Hardly huge volume differences between ladies and mens. They key to pockets is the style of jeans and the make.

MulticolourMophead Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:34

Mominatrix some of us cant afford the prices for those jeans.....

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:51

It boggles the mind that hundreds of years of historical evidence that the lack of adequate pockets in women's clothing are part of the bigger picture of patriarchal oppression of women can be nullified by a single person's experience.

Would that my life were that simple and black and white. It would be a lot easier to live in my own bubble. Hey ho.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:56

PS: I took photos if people don't believe me.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:12:56

So my jeans and trousers, which are readily available, are unique to just me? Bizarre.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:14:16

Mominatrix some of us cant afford the prices for those jeans.....

Then the problem is not the patriarchy, but capitalism.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 19-Mar-19 16:15:28

Apart from the odd hankie, I'm failing to see the pocket love.

I'd much rather carry all my necessary bits and pieces in a bag that I can just pick up when I leave the house than have to pick up a phone, keys, purse, notebook, pen, tissues, gum, etc etc and put them in pockets.

And then have to empty all my pockets again when I come home. DP has a great pile of stuff that he has to pocket and unpocket on leaving and entering the house. Looks a right mess too. I just have a bag that keeps everything together and tidy with the coats.

And I don't particularly want to wear baggy shapeless clothes to facilitate all these pockets either. I also find that if I do put things in any pockets, it all falls out when I go to the toilet.

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 16:15:38

Considering someone upthread just said she couldn't afford those brands, you can hardly say your experiences are universal!

Why does this conversation bother you so much? I fully acquiesce the concept that people's experiences are different as are their opinions, but that doesn't change the fact that historical fashion choices based around pockets in women's clothing 1) had overtones of patriarchal oppression and 2) continue to influence fashion makers today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »