Talk

Advanced search

To get fed up with shit pockets

(114 Posts)
Curiousmum69 Tue 19-Mar-19 06:19:47

Why are the pockets in women's jeans so shit?

Me and my husband own jeans from the same shop and I accidentally put his jeans on this morning....and OMG! The pockets are cave like...my phone fits all the way in with extra room!!

Aibu to think companies are sexist and there is no reason for this to be a thing?

user1480880826 Tue 19-Mar-19 06:22:26

YES! This has annoyed me for years. Pockets in women’s jeans serve no purpose. I end up having to put things in my back pockets which means everything gets sat on and I’m constantly worried about being pick-pocketed.

Do the manufacturers think we don’t have phones or money? Maybe they think we can just put everything in our ladybags.

MustDust Tue 19-Mar-19 06:24:07

My phone fits in my small son's pocket and not mine, hacks me right off. Anyone found women's jeans with a proper pocket?

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 06:25:29

Pockets are a feminist issue. Definitely.

I've started wearing men's jeans since last year because of pockets. I don't want to be encumbered by a bag anymore, so I just have a phone case that holds cards and I carry it in my generously sized pockets.

One of my favourite poems is about pockets.

Dangerous Coats

Someone clever once said
Women were not allowed pockets
In case they carried leaflets
To spread sedition
Which means unrest
To you & me
A grandiose word
For commonsense
Fairness
Kindness
Equality
So ladies, start sewing
Dangerous coats
Made of pockets & sedition

Sharon Owens

LeslieYep Tue 19-Mar-19 06:26:26

Following this thread. I love a good, cavernous pocket!!
I can't stand carrying a bag around either, so pockets are kinda handy!
I was once slightly regretting a needless splurge on a nice dress and was considering returning it. Then I found the pockets. It's one of my favourites now! when it fits

LooksBetterWithAFilter Tue 19-Mar-19 06:26:33

Yeah a friend and I keep saying we need to start a clothing line with decent pockets. Ds1 is 13 and my phone fits in his jeans pockets should just get him to carry my stuff.

CrohnicallyEarly Tue 19-Mar-19 06:29:29

DH always tells me off for putting my phone in my back pocket. But it won't fit in the front pocket of my jeans so if I'm not wearing a coat I have nowhere else to put it!

Tiddler7 Tue 19-Mar-19 06:37:30

My phone fits nicely in C&A jeans pockets. So does my rather on the larger side bum blush

AuntVanya Tue 19-Mar-19 06:40:14

I don't often use pockets on my jeans. I certainly wouldn't put a phone in them. It's be very uncomfortable ( 6+). I'd sit on it, crush it, or it'd fall down the loo.
Current pockets are plenty big enough for my needs- the only thing I use them for is an elastic hair bobble. I wouldn't want more fabric flapping around or scrunching up inside my trousers.
I'd never fit my giant purse/ umbrella/ bunch of keys etc in a pocket anyway so would still need a bag, even with large pockets.
I like bags. I like not having to swop things between clothes every day. I maintain my DSs' disorganisation is largely due to not having a bag. They're always searching last minute for their keys/ phone/ change.
Still- there's nothing that says some jeans could have big pockets and others not, to cater for everyone's needs.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 06:43:05

Pockets are a feminist issue. Definitely.

Seiously?

I think that pocket size has more to do with the style of the jeans. Skilly leans and jeggins are unlikely to have capacious pockets due to desired silhouette. I have plenty of boyfriend ( current/elliot) jeans and straight leg (current/elliot, uniqlo) with roomy pockets.

Cos dresses and skirts often have huge pockets.

It is hardly a feminist issue - many women carry handbags which nullify the need for large pockets.

araiwa Tue 19-Mar-19 06:43:14

I dont think men can fit more than 6 phones in their pocket either

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 06:43:39

sorry about typos!

donajimena Tue 19-Mar-19 06:44:44

My levis are the worst. They are around 2 inches deep!

MashedSpud Tue 19-Mar-19 06:45:40

And that huge pocket they get in the inside of jackets.

SmallPinkBear Tue 19-Mar-19 06:49:23

It is so they sit better on the thighs. Men are generally not the same shape as women and generally women’s jeans are slim over the thigh as this is more flattering. Therefore the cut them smaller so you look less bulky....

BertieBotts Tue 19-Mar-19 06:51:43

H&M are worse - about 2cm confused

I am wearing DH's discarded jeans at the moment because of the baby fat and the pockets are great. I have some "boyfriend style" from Next where the pockets are maybe a quarter of the size.

It IS a feminist issue - I don't want to carry a handbag, I haven't the slightest interest in bags as a nice thing to have and most of them are impractical, swinging off your shoulder when you try to do anything or taking up a free hand/arm. I also tend to put them down and lose them. I prefer rucksack type bags but those are fairly easy to pickpocket out of and not that easy to quickly grab things that I need, in comparison to a pocket anyway.

Also men's jeans + backpack combo does tend to look a bit scruffy - if you want to look smart/professional you end up having to go back to the things specifically marketed for women, which means buying an entirely impractical bag and trousers with no pockets.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 19-Mar-19 07:28:45

Pockets are one reason why I haven't upgraded my phone to something more fancy. My phone is small enough to fit in my M&S jeans.

Hazlenutpie Tue 19-Mar-19 07:31:27

I just had to click on this thread to see what shit pockets are. I’m disappointed. 😂

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 08:13:56

I think you'll find, if you actually researched a bit on the topic, that lack of pockets in women's clothing is very much a feminist issue.

curiosity.com/topics/why-are-pockets-so-rare-in-womens-clothes-curiosity/

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 08:16:07

mic.com/articles/133948/the-weird-complicated-sexist-history-of-pockets

skankingpiglet Tue 19-Mar-19 08:24:46

Small pockets frustrates me no end. I wear men's trousers for work and the pockets are the best part of them. They have 6, and each one is large enough to fit useful stuff in. I have my phone, keys, purse, notepad (A5!), pens, tissues, and various screws amongst other things in them. And there's room to spare.
Even my 4yo DD has commented on the pockets on women's clothes: 'Why are they so rubbish? Daddy has really big pockets.'

Seeline Tue 19-Mar-19 08:37:57

I am convinced the lack of pockets in womens' clothes is a conspiracy - it makes women have to carry a handbag which then becomes a repository for everything hte rest of the family can't be arsed to carry. Everyones' phones, keys, wallets etc

I live in jeans. I can fit my phone in my Next jeans, but that is probably because they are fairly large in themselves!
I hate having to carry a bag. I would love pockets that are actually big enough to fit stuff in in all trousers and skirts.

lololove Tue 19-Mar-19 08:39:52

God yes! One of my pet hates is silly little lady pockets that tilt back when you sit down so the tiny little thing you've managed to fit in falls straight out.

Or pockets that aren't pockets and are decorative.... Why bother!?

ScrumpyBetty Tue 19-Mar-19 09:00:31

@CallMeWoman that poem is amazing and powerful, thanks for sharing!

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 09:11:02

Happy to! I wore a dangerous coat with pockets filled with seditious leaflets last autumn. ;) It's very apt.

ScrumpyBetty Tue 19-Mar-19 09:13:41

I like it, the simplicity of pockets being used for a revolutionary act. I don't do handbags because I've never been a girly girl, and when I'm choosing a coat, large pockets are a requirement because so much stuff lives in my coat pockets.

smellsofelderberries Tue 19-Mar-19 09:15:15

Huge benefit of making my own clothes, pockets errywhere!

thecatsthecats Tue 19-Mar-19 09:17:18

Lol at the people saying 'Duh, silly wimmins, we need smaller pockets to LOOK better, it's not a feminist thing. Besides, you can spend extra money on a handbag, girlies'.

Whilst the rest of us drown in the irony...

AuntVanya Tue 19-Mar-19 10:12:38

For me, using a bag and not using pockets is for practical reasons, convenience, security and comfort. Not to do with being manipulated to spend on a bag or looking nice.

DanielRicciardosSmile Tue 19-Mar-19 10:46:31

I have one pair of jeans that have amazing pockets. Unfortunately they are the least comfortable pair of jeans I own, but I guess you can't have everything.

AuntVanya Tue 19-Mar-19 11:41:28

You can analyse pockets as a feminist concept but it doesn't mean they only exist as a feminist concept.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 13:27:12

People who think that pockets are a feminist issue really are searching for things to blame the patriarchy on.

Men's trouser pockets are not roomy enough to carry large phones, a wallet and keys. In order to accommodate all of these items, many wear jackets or coats or carry bags. Last time I checked, my jackets and coats had perfectly adequate pockets which can accommodate all of these basic items.

As I said, I have never had a problem due to lack of pockets and I often leave the house without any kind of bag.

Geekster1963 Tue 19-Mar-19 13:29:39

YANBU at all. I hate that women's jeans have such pathetic pockets. I have some trousers that I got from GAP that have cavernous pockets in and I love them.

isabellerossignol Tue 19-Mar-19 13:31:38

It is hardly a feminist issue - many women carry handbags which nullify the need for large pockets.

Or alternatively, they carry bags because they don't have pockets in their clothes.

I've never had a pair of ladies jeans that have had decent pockets. When I was a young skinny thing I just solved the problem by wearing mens jeans, but I wouldn't fancy doing that now.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 13:33:44

Isabelle - Try boyfriend jeans or straight leg jeans. I have never had a problem with small pockets.

PutyourtoponTrevor Tue 19-Mar-19 13:34:23

So everyone having trouble with the size of pockets must be lying then Mominatrix?

I wear M&S jeans because they are the only length that fit (short) and their pockets are shit.

MulticolourMophead Tue 19-Mar-19 13:39:13

I've only had one pair of jeans ever that had decent pockets, yet my 15 yr old DS can get loads in his pockets.

I may take a look at mens jeans next time.

Numptysod Tue 19-Mar-19 13:47:13

Off subject I used to love C&A pity they left uk

AuntVanya Tue 19-Mar-19 14:33:52

I don't want jeans pockets that I can fit a laptop or umbrella in. I'm happy to use a bag.

FiveLittlePigs Tue 19-Mar-19 15:56:38

My jeans from Bon Marche have amazingly big pockets, I can put my phone or wallet in them. Love them!

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 15:59:30

I am also short and have never had a problem. Try Current/Elliot jeans.

MuddlingMackem Tue 19-Mar-19 16:06:14

Ah, I've been complaining about this for decades. I have one pair of men's shorts and I love them for the pockets, but obviously I rarely wear those. Unfortunately I'm not the right shape for men's trousers. DD is now of a shape which means she can no longer wear her brother's hand-me-down trousers, and she's really feeling the pocket issue.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:13

Just to make sure that I was not crazy, I just measured the length of the front pockets of 2 different pairs of my jeans (both Current/Elliot) - 22cm(boyfriend style) and 21.5 cm (girlfriend style). I also measured a pair of my straight leg chinos (Uniqlo) which measured 21 cm. I then measured the length of the front pocket of my husband's jeans (Belstaff)( and they measured 22.5 cm.

Hardly huge volume differences between ladies and mens. They key to pockets is the style of jeans and the make.

MulticolourMophead Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:34

Mominatrix some of us cant afford the prices for those jeans.....

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:51

It boggles the mind that hundreds of years of historical evidence that the lack of adequate pockets in women's clothing are part of the bigger picture of patriarchal oppression of women can be nullified by a single person's experience.

Would that my life were that simple and black and white. It would be a lot easier to live in my own bubble. Hey ho.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:56

PS: I took photos if people don't believe me.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:12:56

So my jeans and trousers, which are readily available, are unique to just me? Bizarre.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:14:16

Mominatrix some of us cant afford the prices for those jeans.....

Then the problem is not the patriarchy, but capitalism.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 19-Mar-19 16:15:28

Apart from the odd hankie, I'm failing to see the pocket love.

I'd much rather carry all my necessary bits and pieces in a bag that I can just pick up when I leave the house than have to pick up a phone, keys, purse, notebook, pen, tissues, gum, etc etc and put them in pockets.

And then have to empty all my pockets again when I come home. DP has a great pile of stuff that he has to pocket and unpocket on leaving and entering the house. Looks a right mess too. I just have a bag that keeps everything together and tidy with the coats.

And I don't particularly want to wear baggy shapeless clothes to facilitate all these pockets either. I also find that if I do put things in any pockets, it all falls out when I go to the toilet.

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 16:15:38

Considering someone upthread just said she couldn't afford those brands, you can hardly say your experiences are universal!

Why does this conversation bother you so much? I fully acquiesce the concept that people's experiences are different as are their opinions, but that doesn't change the fact that historical fashion choices based around pockets in women's clothing 1) had overtones of patriarchal oppression and 2) continue to influence fashion makers today.

MulticolourMophead Tue 19-Mar-19 16:19:55

Capitalism is not the issue when we appear to have just one brand that has decent pockets, regardless of price.

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee Tue 19-Mar-19 16:22:02

It really winds me up! I was especially peeved at realising my my 6 month old DS had 5 pockets in his dungarees. What's he going to put in them!!!

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:23:13

Because I think that your point is overstated and the real situation ismore nuanced than just to state blankly that woman's clothing have inadequate pockets because the the patriarchy desires to repress women by not having pockets.

Slightlyjaded Tue 19-Mar-19 16:24:52

I think it is a feminist issue. It's just one of those teeny tiny things that we are expected to not mind about. I agree that there are some cuts of jeans that mean pockets have to be small - but this across the board.

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/bride-bridesmaids-dress-pockets-praise-wedding-designer-viral-twitter-a8747016.html

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 16:28:03

It's one aspect of a bigger issue. I've never said those words, because that would be missing the point. Women are inconvenienced and made to alter their behaviour in hundreds of small ways that is not expected of men.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:29:25

There are probably more brands than one which has adequate pockets. I did list 2 for women and a previous poster also listed a different one. I listed the ones I did not because I compared pockets prior to buying jeans, but I really love the fabric the C/E uses and the fit. They happen to have large pockets. I am certain that other jean brands have the same pockets - after all, this company is not known as the big pocket jean company!

My brother is a jeans designer and would bring me many different jeans from his workplace. Some had little/no pockets - these would invariably be the ultra skinny jeans where the line of the jeans would be impacted by having pockets. The key was the aesthetic line. Looser style, bigger pockets.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:31:18

Do you think that a man could fit a large iPhone, keys and a full wallet comfortably into 22cm pockets in a slim fit jean? No, he could not. He would wear a jacket with larger pockets or carry a bag.

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 16:31:26

Apart from the fact that men's skinny jeans have twice the size pockets as women's skinny jeans in Tesco. Ah well.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:32:38

Also, in terms of price, Uniqlo is not anywhere near expensive.

Mominatrix Tue 19-Mar-19 16:36:36

Call me - that is just bad design.

isabellerossignol Tue 19-Mar-19 16:38:24

The key was the aesthetic line. Looser style, bigger pockets.

I've not really found that to be the case. I've had every shape of jeans over the years and even the looser ones still have had tiny pockets.

And the thing about men is that if they try on a pair of jeans and they think the pockets are too small they can put them back and choose a different pair. I know that my husband would never buy a pair of trousers that didn't have pockets big enough for his phone and wallet.

Women don't really have the same option since most of the jeans on the high street are the same.

I'm wearing a fairly unfashionable pair of straight legged Next jeans today. They have the biggest pockets of any trousers that I own and they are about 12cm deep at the deepest part and about 5cm at the narrowest part.

AuntVanya Tue 19-Mar-19 16:59:48

I don't WANT bigger pockets!!!!
You could argue that men are oppressed by not feeling free to carry handbags. Some women oppress them further by purchasing a vide-poche as a gift and thus emotionally blackmailing them to continue using their pockets.
I hate it when someone uses a pocket for a tissue and it gets in the wash and ruins a whole load.

PickAChew Tue 19-Mar-19 17:12:22

I need to keep my keys and phone on me, in the house, where I obviously have no wish to carry a bag or wear a jacket. Even my pyjamas need decent pockets.

WithTwoGiantBoys Tue 19-Mar-19 17:13:07

Sainsburys clothes don't even have real pockets, they're fake!

WhatNow40 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:23:25

I found a lovely pair of jeans that have been designed for women in wheelchairs. It's impossible to get things in/out of your pockets when you're sat down. These jeans have good spacious pockets sewn in to the seams on the thigh and calf. Not visible when standing up but really handy.

Pockets are a feminist issue.

CallMeWoman Tue 19-Mar-19 17:35:24

You could argue that men are oppressed by not feeling free to carry handbags. Some women oppress them further by purchasing a vide-poche as a gift and thus emotionally blackmailing them to continue using their pockets.

You're being facetious, right?

Strugglingtodomybest Tue 19-Mar-19 17:44:30

Pathetic pockets drive me potty!

TapasForTwo Tue 19-Mar-19 18:06:05

I just wish all women's jackets had inside pockets. I have an outdoor jacket that has brilliant pockets inside and out, but it took some finding.

I don't want to always carry a handbag. I just need pockets for phone, money and keys.

pisspawpatrol Tue 19-Mar-19 18:15:21

My favourite coat has five very large pockets and that's why it's my favourite coat. I don't need a bag when I go out if i'm wearing that coat, so i'll be a little peeved once it gets warmer!

animaginativeusername Tue 19-Mar-19 18:21:02

Just tested out my jeans pockets - yes you are right, useless. Now to try husband jeans on (not that they will go pass the bum!!!)

BrightYellowDaffodil Tue 19-Mar-19 18:26:57

For those saying carry a bag, it’s not always practical.

When I’m standing out in a field, wrangling large animals or fixing fences, funnily enough I don’t have a handy little clutch bag with me. What I want is pockets big enough to be able to fit my keys/phone/etc in with out it all falling out into a puddle if I bend over or indeed move at all.

If close fitting clothes come with pockets and you don’t want them, cut them out. For the rest of us who want more practical clothing, and don’t want to be encumbered by a bag, we want proper bloody pockets.

Gap, I am looking at you.

ALongHardWinter Tue 19-Mar-19 18:38:12

Never mind small pockets,I get sick to death of NO pockets! In the spring and autumn when it's too warm to wear my winter coat,but not warm enough for just a light cardigan,I like to wear a long cardigan/coatigan type thing. The sheer number of them that don't have any pockets really pisses me off. So many times I've not bothered buying/ordering one because it doesn't have a single pocket on it.

Trippedupagain Tue 19-Mar-19 18:38:28

Same applies to jacket pockets. When I was young I used to love wearing men's vintage jackets and coats because they always had huge pockets and you didn't need a handbag. Now I'd just look like a mad old bat but I'm tempted to do it anyway.

miaCara Tue 19-Mar-19 18:40:04

Just last week DD came home from her saturday job complaining that management were trying to get her to wear womens trousers as part of her uniform.
She was aghast as the mens trousers have huge pockets in abundance along with sturdy seams and a proper fly and button closure. The womens trousers are pull ups, completely elasticated and with 2 teeny pockets that wont even hold a full length pen. She uses tools as part of her job and must keep hold of them when she moves around. No chance of that with teeny pockets.

ALongHardWinter Tue 19-Mar-19 18:40:53

BrightYellowDaffodil - 'When I'm standing out in a field,wrangling large animals or fixing fences,funnily enough I don't have a handy little clutch bag with me'. grin That conjured up a funny picture in my mind!

moonbells Tue 19-Mar-19 18:57:32

I have some modern mid-rise Levi's and was horrified to see the tiddly pockets on the front. Mid-rise is most of the problem - if you've got 2-3" more height on the front, that's 2-3" you can increase the pocket depth by.

I also have some ladies' 501s from 1993. Full-size lovely pockets, high rise and comfy.

But then again I'm someone who sewed in-seam pockets in her wedding dress, and carried a camera, a purse and the housekeys round all day... no relying on new DH for pockets!

Anyone wanting practical pocketed trousers should just go to a camping or Scout shop. Plenty there, even if they're not exactly haute couture.

Treefloof Tue 19-Mar-19 19:01:23

I just wish all women's jackets had inside pockets. I have an outdoor jacket that has brilliant pockets inside and out, but it took some finding
My current winter jackets are from regatta, with two huge inside pockets, big enough for my purse plus anything. Plus two big zipped outer pockets.
Best jackets ever, and bought In the sale, less than 50quid for both.
Still the OHs jackets have more and better pockets but it's a start.
As for jeans, I miss the days when I could wear mens. I really hate carrying a bag.

Curiousmum69 Tue 19-Mar-19 19:14:58

pudding.cool/2018/08/pockets

This was super interesting

Hammondisback Tue 19-Mar-19 19:50:24

Love that poem star

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 19-Mar-19 19:53:01

I have to wear a uniform for work as do the men. Their pockets are much bigger than ours. Their phones fit in their back and front pockets. Phones only fit in the front pockets of the ladies' trousers. The men's shirts have a pockets; the ladies' don't. We all have to carry the same stuff around, but it's much easier for the men. I used to wonder why the men never had to carry things in their hands or their notebooks didn't show. Once I realised the pocket size difference, it all made sense.

CrohnicallyEarly Tue 19-Mar-19 20:43:22

Of course men's pockets are big enough to carry wallet, phone and keys. Wallet in a back pocket, phone in one front pocket and keys in the other front pocket. When I was a teen, I always wore boys' trousers, usually the camouflage style ones, and I never carried a bag. Now my figure has changed and boys' trousers aren't as comfortable, besides I have to carry a bag for the kids' stuff.

I wasn't any more disorganised back then, in fact I think it helped because I knew if one of my pockets was empty and it shouldn't have been. Now because I have a bag I just pick it up, forgetting that I took something out, and end up leaving things behind.

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Tue 19-Mar-19 21:56:33

I buy mens coats for this reason sometimes. Lady pockets are ok size wise, especially the more utility styles, but mens pockets are cavernous! No jamming your phone in!

Proudly wear a mens Barbour (Barbour are ok but mens pockets are better) and a lovely mens raincoat from Mountain warehouse . It's huge so I can shove a masdubr

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Tue 19-Mar-19 21:58:40

*massive arran sweater under it and snuggle in my layered glory. And fit tons of stuff in pockets. My guess is that once bags became a status symbol, pockets got skimped on because the laydeez all have fuck off huge bags.

burgundyjumper Tue 19-Mar-19 22:13:51

I spend considerable periods of time outdoors doing things where carrying a handbag is a positive hindrance. I need jeans pockets big enough for car keys, phone, tissues, lip balm and loose change. Also a penknife, gloves and frequently, secateurs.
The pockets on my coats and jackets are too small as well.

marvellousnightforamooncup Tue 19-Mar-19 22:19:00

I've only got one pair of trousers with front pockets and they're my M&S ones. All the others have fake front pockets. It's so nice wearing them, pocket luxury.

TapasForTwo Tue 19-Mar-19 22:39:51

Bring back the bum bag.

MaryBoBary Tue 19-Mar-19 22:58:16

Amen to this. I’m dreading the weather warming up because my coats are the only items of clothing with decent sized pockets! Don’t really like having to take a bag everywhere just for keys, phone and purse.

MaryBoBary Tue 19-Mar-19 22:59:27

@TapasForTwo they are back! Well and truly. I actually am going to have a google now, this may be the answer for me and I hadn’t even thought of it.

SwimmingKaren Tue 19-Mar-19 23:02:35

You see I would wage a one woman war against pockets. They ruin the lines of clothing and make my hips look fat.

Thesuzle Tue 19-Mar-19 23:03:59

Pockets in PJ’s anyone ? well get thee to “Yawn “ a fabulous nightwear maker, pockets a go go....

PickAChew Tue 19-Mar-19 23:07:47

Seasalt do good coat pockets, btw.

MyEyesAreNotDeceivingMe Tue 19-Mar-19 23:18:04

Amen too. My Didrikson winter coat has amazing pockets, all 7 of them. Amazing. The most I can get in jeans pockets is some lose change and since my phone leapt out of my back pocket and in to the loo I’m reluctant to put it there.

Inside pockets in women's coats and jackets could be done to not affect the line of the garment.

lololove Wed 20-Mar-19 08:57:52

I miss the combat trouser fashion of my teen years (yes I wore the 'boy' version too.) you could get hell of a lot in those proper pockets at the top then the long rectangular trousers in the legs too. Those where the days! Especially when they closed with a zip or even little button so your stuff stayed where you put it rather than the current diagonal trousers pocket where it all slips out when sat down

Hatehatehate carrying bags and having my hands full. Problem is having a long torso and short legs means over the shoulder straps don't always fit properly on bags and sadly rucksacks aren't secure enough for carrying purse / phone. I really hope my current handbag never breaks because it's the only one comfortable enough to wear over the shoulder that I've found that doesn't wear like an outside bra trying to finish directly under my boobs and haul them up.

lololove Wed 20-Mar-19 08:59:24

Cross body, not over the shoulder *

deydododatdodontdeydo Wed 20-Mar-19 09:00:29

I love pockets, and ensure that I have good pockets in my clothes by buying clothes with good pockets.
I hate shopping, do most of it online and never struggle to find clothes with pockets.
Maybe it's because I don't buy "fashion" clothes.

megletthesecond Wed 20-Mar-19 09:04:24

I've started buying men's jeans. Huge pockets.

BarryTheKestrel Wed 20-Mar-19 09:07:48

My current jeans have fake pockets. What the hell is the point in pockets of illusion???

Give me real pockets damn it!

Harebellsies Wed 20-Mar-19 09:16:19

This thread inspires me to extend my trouser pockets by sewing in extra fabric, and to add inner coat pockets. Not that i have time, but theoretically i could do it.
Definitely agree that it is ridiculous that womens coats ( high quality skiwear and parkas excluded) have no inner pocket for wallets or phones. Means that items have to fit in the outer pockets where they will get pickpocketed.
With skinny jeans i understand why the front pockets are teeny, but not why the back pockets cant hold anything either. confused

theemmadilemma Wed 20-Mar-19 09:21:18

I was moaning about this not so long ago myself. Useless pockets on women's jeans. With phone payment etc. I often just want to grab my phone and keys. But my fucking not huge phone will not fit in most of my jean pockets.

MTGGirl Wed 20-Mar-19 10:06:35

The upside of being petite: I wear jeans from the kids section for 16 yr olds. Always go for the boys!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »