Talk

Advanced search

Going full time- opinions please!

(33 Posts)
cooksomeeggs Mon 18-Mar-19 19:36:36

I have just returned to work (I've been back 3months) after 1 year of Mat leave. I am a teacher working a .8 contract.
Since returning, I have been feeling that I might be better off working full time. My workload is heavy and I feel I am doing as much work as if I was to work full time. Recently a promotion has become availiable and I would like to go for it. I know the SMT would prefer a full time member of staff to take on the role.
My husband is self employed and has 2 days off in the week where he looks after our DD.
We would be about £400 better off a month if I took the job (for working an extra 40 days in the year), this would mean we could have a few little luxuries and perhaps a small amount of savings for emergencies.
Should I go for it? I feel sad at losing the day off in the week with my DD but happy that my husband had time off with her.
I think the guilt will always be there whatever I do!

NuffSaidSam Mon 18-Mar-19 19:41:12

It sounds like it's all pros and no cons!

Go for it!

Just make sure it won't affect any tax credits/benefits you get.

Bubblysqueak Mon 18-Mar-19 19:49:55

Being full time sounds scary but as a teacher you will have the holidays off. Like you said it's only and extra 40 days per year, and your dd will have 2 days a week at home so not in full time childcare. I would go for it (and I did when in a similar position but without promotion.)

RooKangaroo Mon 18-Mar-19 19:52:31

I have done something very similar recently. My job is so much easier now that I'm full time and I'm only really doing a few more hours extra than I was when I did four days/80%.

I would love to be the SAHP and I'm a bit envious of DH for getting all the time with DC that he does, but given our two careers and earning power, it makes so much more sense for me to be full time and him part-time.

I justify it to myself by reminding myself of the extra things we'll be able to afford and not have to struggle for.

RooKangaroo Mon 18-Mar-19 19:52:55

Sorry, should have said - yes, do it!

cooksomeeggs Mon 18-Mar-19 19:53:55

Thanks for your replies. I just don't want to end up regretting it. I've had a lot of comments about how I'm now a mum work shouldn't take priority. Makes me feel really guilty!

cooksomeeggs Mon 18-Mar-19 19:55:57

Thank you @RooKangaroo! I feel grateful that my husband can have 2 days off, it does make more sense for me to work more. Otherwise I would be part time and him full.

wildbhoysmama Mon 18-Mar-19 20:05:38

A word of caution, OP. It sounds stress free but I'm in a similar position, 0.8 teacher, and I say it's the perfect balance. I couldn't go full time even now my DCs are all in school. That one day a week is my breathing space and my time for housework, admin, shopping ( food and any presents/ household stuff), planning holidays/ weekends and squeezing in a quick swim after the school run in the morning. If I didn't have that day off I think I'd drown.

In teaching I don't think it's the same as other jobs ( a friend definitely does 5 days work in 4 days in her office role) as you have less teaching contact time so less prep and marking. I'd also think about if promotion would add huge amounts of work onto your plate at this point.

cooksomeeggs Mon 18-Mar-19 20:06:57

Anymore thoughts anyone? I'm really interested to hear what you did when going back to work.

cooksomeeggs Mon 18-Mar-19 20:08:27

@wildbhoysmama thank you. I am taking this into account also. When DD starts school etc I would really value that day off!

cooksomeeggs Mon 18-Mar-19 20:08:57

I know that once I give it up, I won't get it back.

Iseewhatyoumeanthistime Mon 18-Mar-19 20:19:07

I'm increasing my hours in a couple of months when youngest benefits from the 30 free hours at nursery, I'm sad that I'll be losing a day with him, but in 18 months he'll be at school so it wouldn't matter. He's also having 2 days with DH, so he's not in full time nursery. I'm a bit sad too that I'll only be able to do school run on one day with my others, but the extra money will be a great help. There's a bit of uncertainty with my job at the moment and I may not be able to increase my hours, and on the terms I've asked for (and been agreed) in the future so I'd say go for it !

Iseewhatyoumeanthistime Mon 18-Mar-19 20:21:05

Sorry should have added, I'm still not quite full time but not far off.

DelurkingAJ Mon 18-Mar-19 20:23:56

Went back FT twice and wouldn’t dream of being PT...I had a day off in leave for three months after DS1 and all it taught me was that my days off would be half spent on team conference calls hmm.

DH is a teacher and it’s a dream as I really get my holidays as we’re not struggling for holiday cover so you’ll have those days together!

I value never having serious money worries and the fact I’m therefore relaxed more than an extra day with the DC.

C0untDucku1a Mon 18-Mar-19 20:27:43

Im a 0.8 secondary teacher. My dc are both school-age. I spend my day off walking my dog and catching up with friends and elderly family. Maybe two-three hours school work.

I work long days on the four days a week im in. The only reason i dont go full time is that full time in teaching means 6 days a week, and my children are too young for me to not be parenting at the weekend.

When i look at my own school ive noticed the staff going for and getting the non-departmental promotions are low-marking subjects. Not always, but definitely in the main.

Desmondo2016 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:28:03

Am police officer. Went back after maternity on about .7, upped it upon a promotion to .8. No way I'm the world woild I increase it again now. I LOVE my time off, especially now little one is occasionally in nursery when I'm off!!!

Bobbiepin Mon 18-Mar-19 20:31:53

I would consider the increase in workload by taking a SLT position and what extra PPA and leadership time you would get. Not everyone has the luxury of staying PT when their kids are in school, so I wouldn't necessarily let this away your decision.

If you are also looking for progression its clearly a good move but if it's something that's come up and looks interesting think very carefully about it.

whywhywhy6 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:34:09

I’d do it, and I did do it. Working with a full time load in part time hours is stressful. I do try to condense hours or take a day off every 2 months or so to so I have a few hours to run errands and to catch up on housework and shopping or planning things etc though but as a teacher you’ll get some of that time during holidays.

C0untDucku1a Mon 18-Mar-19 20:34:34

What ive also found is less work is just not true. Because of shared classes, and how marking is allocated, two years in a row i had more Marking than a full time Member of the department. This was because we teach classes for three periods a week. If it is a shared class, whoever has them twice is responsible for the class to mark books, plan, data input and parents evenings. If i went full time best outcome is i get two extra classes three times a Week. Worst case is i get three extra classes twice a week. Significantly more work.

trilbydoll Mon 18-Mar-19 20:35:30

I know someone who went full time temporarily and she said the worst thing was losing her day off for planning, when she was part time she didn't do much in the evening.

I would not worry about time spent with dc as you have the holidays but it might be worth considering whether you are prepared for term time to be at 100 miles an hour!

SuziQ10 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:40:14

Apply for it. If you get it you could take it and if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out. Sounds like there are a lot of pros so would be worth trying.

ENormaSnob Mon 18-Mar-19 20:43:09

I'm in a professional role (not teaching) and have gone from 0.6 to full time.

Ive found it hard tbh.

Literally feel I have almost zero down time.

CostanzaG Mon 18-Mar-19 20:43:48

I've worked full time since DS was 10 months. I have no regrets and have even managed to secure a couple of promotions which means I have greater flexibility now than before I have a baby!

DS has thrived in nursery and I don't feel guilty at all.

Barbie222 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:46:40

I am teaching and I use my day off to work so that the job is manageable with a family, sorry I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but I would make myself ill if I didn't have that extra "work" day

Perty01234 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:48:46

I work full time and have since DS was 2, prior to that for a year I did part time. Part time was a huge struggle as I had the work load of a full time person in a part time role, I was forever working over and doing over time. It was lovely having extra days off with DC however financially it made more sense for me to go FT and my DH part time as I am the higher earner.
I am now pregnant with number 2 and will go back to work full time after MAT leave, my DH will have one day a week off with the little one and she will be in nursery for the other four days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »