Talk

Advanced search

An I overreacting to think that a swearing teacher is unprofessional?

(54 Posts)
mysterio1 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:11:37

Today my 14 year old came home and told me that a teaching assistant had sworn for the second time in front of the class. He was taking the class as their main teacher was away. One of the children had gone out to photocopy something for him and when he took a longer time than was necessary, the TA said "where is he? He needs f-ing help!" Another time, it was cold in the classroom and he said "someone close the f-ing window!" The whole class witnessed it both times but nobody seems to be taking it any further. I feel it is very unprofessional for a teacher to
swear in school and the other teachers need to have a word with him about his language. I should probably point out that the school in question is a "progressive" school. I am no prude and know that I can't wrap my child in cotton wool - but what do you think? Thanks for any thoughts.

Qwertylass Tue 19-Mar-19 06:35:27

From the sound of it this isn't even a one off where she has snapped she is using it regularly.

Blissx Tue 19-Mar-19 07:06:50

The OP says it is a bloke, Qwertylass. Doesn’t make a difference to the swearing of course but not all TAs are female. However, I don’t think the OP will be coming back to clarify with any updates on exactly what happened but I hope they do. Threads like this do a lot of damage to people’s opinions of staff in school, if not true.

Comefromaway Tue 19-Mar-19 09:28:57

Learning how to swear imaginatively and in an appropriate way is one of the best lessons a young person can learn,*

Tell that to my son with asd who has had numerous detentions, and other school disciplinary for "inappropriate language" . As an autistic child with PDA and an innate sense of unfairness it is hard enough to try and instil that he must not swear at school without staff doing it. I even had the school phone up to tell me that after one instance he had said but my dad swears and they said that it was unacceptable to encourage swearing at all. (He was 14 at the time)

If a TA had sworn to my ds that would have been it for at least the rest of the day and possible led to a meltdown and he would never have any respect for that person again.

WFTisgoingoninmyhead Tue 19-Mar-19 16:11:29

I think it is completely unreasonable for a TA to be taking the year 9 class, irrespective of his language. Did he say F ing or fucking? that is the question?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »