Talk

Advanced search

An I overreacting to think that a swearing teacher is unprofessional?

(54 Posts)
mysterio1 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:11:37

Today my 14 year old came home and told me that a teaching assistant had sworn for the second time in front of the class. He was taking the class as their main teacher was away. One of the children had gone out to photocopy something for him and when he took a longer time than was necessary, the TA said "where is he? He needs f-ing help!" Another time, it was cold in the classroom and he said "someone close the f-ing window!" The whole class witnessed it both times but nobody seems to be taking it any further. I feel it is very unprofessional for a teacher to
swear in school and the other teachers need to have a word with him about his language. I should probably point out that the school in question is a "progressive" school. I am no prude and know that I can't wrap my child in cotton wool - but what do you think? Thanks for any thoughts.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Mon 18-Mar-19 18:14:40

I’d not be overly bothered about a ‘bloody’ in front of older children but no f’s in the classroom!

cardibach Mon 18-Mar-19 18:18:26

Members of staff should not swear in front of chilfpdren. I’m a right sweary mare but I manage not to. However, he is a TA not a teacher so YABU for talking about unprofessional reachers in this thread.

TeenTimesTwo Mon 18-Mar-19 18:20:01

Yes it's unprofessional, but they are 14 and will hear worse in the playground.

TAs aren't teachers and aren't paid as such.

If he was taking the class as a TA he was probably stressed.

As a second offence, I'd maybe go for a request the TA be reminded they shouldn't be swearing, but I can't get overly worked up about it.

modgepodge Mon 18-Mar-19 18:20:31

I find it hard to believe any school would find this acceptable. I remember in year 7 a teacher standing up in front of our class and saying ‘CUT THE CRAP.’ Before lecturing us about our (frankly appalling) behaviour. It shocked us in to silence and we listened to him. I’m a teacher and would not do this, but then I’m primary so it’s different. However the f word is next level in my opinion and is just being thrown in to conversation for no real reason in the example above, so I’d say unacceptable.

woodhill Mon 18-Mar-19 18:22:55

Just no, makes no difference being a TA, you are meant to be professional and set a good example.

Your ds in bu

havingtochangeusernameagain Mon 18-Mar-19 18:23:16

It doesn't matter whether it's a TA, a teacher, the caretaker or school receptionist. If you are in a professional environment, you don't swear. Unnecessary and rude unless you've stubbed your toe!

justmyview Mon 18-Mar-19 18:24:52

I agree it's unprofessional IF IT'S TRUE

burgundyjumper Mon 18-Mar-19 20:01:28

What justmyview said.

ponyprincess Mon 18-Mar-19 20:06:55

I hate the 'of they will hear worse in the playground' defense. Yes they will but it does not make this okay.

Would it be okay for a 14 year old to tell a teaching assistant to close the fucking window?

QueenofCBA Mon 18-Mar-19 20:08:29

Not acceptable. Swear words can slip out, we’re only humans, but they really shouldn’t. I would expect a bollocking from my line manager if I swore in front of a class.

Kolo Mon 18-Mar-19 20:10:35

When I was teaching (left 3 yrs ago) a student would be in real trouble for swearing at me or to me. If we expect children to use restraint and understand how to use profanity appropriately, then the staff at the school should definitely not be swearing!

Holidayshopping Mon 18-Mar-19 20:12:42

Not acceptable.

Neither is your post title which accuses a teacher of swearing when they haven’t.

Chosennone Mon 18-Mar-19 20:15:27

Not professional. Not acceptable.
But I have to question why a TA is covering a class? That wouldn't happen at my school. We have Cover supervisors or supply and at a push teachers.

MitziK Mon 18-Mar-19 20:16:16

Nobody taking it further?

Makes me suspect that they know damn well that they were being horrendous to the bloke.

It's not great, but a TA isn't a teacher; to put somebody in the position of being a teacher - and one on cover, for that matter - is probably incredibly stressful.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Mon 18-Mar-19 20:18:11

In that context unacceptable. My teacher once stapled her thumb to a display board, it bled a lot and as she did it helped fuck. Then apologised profusely for her language. I think that was ok

ZippyBungleandGeorge Mon 18-Mar-19 20:19:00

*yelped

ponyprincess Mon 18-Mar-19 20:20:00

MitziK so would it be okay for a child to swear at a teacher because they are incredibly stressed?

The teacher, teaching assistant.. They are adults acting in a professional context. It is important to be able to control and adjust languageyand behaviour to the context. And teach children about this by example

chocolateroses Mon 18-Mar-19 20:22:04

I sort of think in this political environment with such a teacher and TA shortage at least the TA was nice enough to take the class - it's not something a TA should be expected to do, and my first thoughts would be to be grateful they stood up when they didn't need to.

However, no, swearing isn't ok. But it's not like he was swearing at your DS, so I think I'd not get too bent up about it. I children will her these words, but if they are raised properly they know they shouldn't use them too.

I don't think people realise how stressed and over worked all staff are in state schools these days and how desperate the teaching shortage is sad

Comefromaway Mon 18-Mar-19 20:26:55

It’s abdolutely unacceptable.

My son has autism and has a real problem differentiating between appropriate and inappropriate language. He has been in trouble several times for swearing at school (usually when highly stressed) and for an adult member of staff to swear would blur the boundaries even more.

Blissx Mon 18-Mar-19 20:34:15

Oh goody. Another ‘let’s all lump teachers together to have a collective moan at them’. Except your thread title is misleading, OP. A TA is NOT a teacher. Good grief, even when a teacher hasn’t done something, they still get the blame!!

TAs are certainly not trained or paid as one. Which is why they shouldn’t be covering your DS’ class and is very unfair on them and yet I know it is rife due to school’s struggling budget wise. I’d be complaining about that first.

ponyprincess Mon 18-Mar-19 20:37:18

I see, so let's tell all the children it is fine for a TA to swear at them as they haven't had proper training to know they shouldn't and the children should accept that and presumably not swear back?

burgundyjumper Mon 18-Mar-19 20:41:09

I wouldn't want to be a TA and have to deal with the hunting-pack instincts of teenagers.

I also don't think it happened.

llangennith Mon 18-Mar-19 20:48:02

Report the TA to the class teacher or HT. No adult in school should be swearing either at or in front of pupils whether they're cleaners, dinnerladies, teaching staff or volunteer helpers.

onthenaughtystepagain Mon 18-Mar-19 20:52:02

I see, so let's tell all the children it is fine for a TA to swear at them as they haven't had proper training to know they shouldn't and the children should accept that and presumably not swear back?

Unless a parent can honestly say they have never sworn in front of their children or in their hearing then they have no place criticising others. there seems to be some inane idea on here that schools exist in a parallel, perfect universe. Looking at the casual use of language on here I wouldn't believe people who say they don't!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: