Talk

Advanced search

To think they should have been asked to leave?

(18 Posts)
EleanorAbernathy Mon 18-Mar-19 00:29:02

DISCLAIMER - I promise I'm not the weird troll who posts threads about nakedness!

DH and I went to our favourite Indian restaurant earlier this evening, it was fairly quiet and there were only two other couples in when we arrived. We were shown to a table next to one of the other couples, and at first I thought the man's trousers didn't fit properly and had slipped down a bit - then realised he didn't have any trousers on at all. He was wearing some sort of pants so he wasn't exposing his genitals, but despite trying my best not to look I could see buttocks, his belly overhang, and some of his legs. I was on the same side as him, DH was opposite me and noticed from the front and saw his trousers were actually bunched up on the chair next to him.

The other couple left when our starters came, but half naked man and his dining partner were making no moves towards leaving even though they had finished their meals. There were two members of staff working - the owner/manager wasn't in, just a waiter and a supervisor.

The half naked man was talking quite loudly, we had started to get the impression that he wanted a reaction from us - he was covering every controversial subject you could think of - like Brexit, religion, gay marriage etc. The woman was quieter, from the conversation we heard they weren't in a relationship but she wanted him to keep talking - it was all a bit of an odd dynamic.

We weren't eavesdropping on them and were trying to have our own conversation despite feeling a bit weirded out - one topic was our wedding as our anniversary is coming up, then man started talking loudly about how he doesn't understand people getting married after they've been together for years (as we'd just been discussing) making us feel more and more like he was trying to get some sort of reaction. He loudly said to the woman "are you getting more uncomfortable now?"

At this point our main courses came so we missed our chance to ask to move tables - but DH went over to have a word with the supervisor as these people had finished their meals and paid their bill. The staff did come and hover by them, but again they made no moves to leave and the staff seemed uncomfortable with them too.

Eventually we rushed our food and went over to the bar area to pay - the supervisor just shrugged and said "what can we do?"

We talked about calling the police when we got outside, but when we looked to see if they were still there as we passed the window they had stood up and he had trousers on - plus as he wasn't completely exposing himself I'm not sure the police could do anything.

I feel a bit - violated? And also annoyed we didn't say anything, but we were honestly so freaked out neither of us were sure who to react! I was quite shaken up once we got to the car. I'm the least paranoid person ever and like to think there's a rational explanation for everything but this couple really seemed like they wanted some sort of reaction to a weird fetish or something? Is this even a thing?

I'm thinking of emailing the restaurant - don't want to leave a TripAdvisor review or anything as it wasn't their fault, but surely they could have asked them to leave?

BuffetLurker Mon 18-Mar-19 00:31:51

How did he manage to get his trousers back on while sitting at the table?

Plenty of people around who get a kick from this kind of stuff, ignore and move on probably... doubt the police would have any grounds to do anything

EleanorAbernathy Mon 18-Mar-19 00:40:57

BuffetLurker I'm not sure, this was after we left and before we went past the window - although they were the only ones left by this point and the staff are normally round the corner by the bar so he could have easily got away with standing up as he was doing it?

I actually work for the police, and if someone rang up with this situation I'd have to go and ask somebody! Pretty sure nothing can be done though - and no evidence now anyway, even if the restaurant has CCTV it's unlikely to identify him.

SandAndSea Mon 18-Mar-19 00:42:20

This sounds like some weird social experiment. Or a dare. Or a fetish. Or maybe comedy writers doing some real life research?? (David Walliams? Dom Joly?) It's definitely weird though. You'll probably never know so maybe tell yourself whichever is easiest for you.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 18-Mar-19 00:51:19

Baffles me that you didn’t just ask to be moved straight away and inform the staff there was a man in his underwear. confused

nocoolnamesleft Mon 18-Mar-19 00:55:18

You might not be the weird underwear poster...but maybe he is?!

EleanorAbernathy Mon 18-Mar-19 01:00:24

ILove it baffles me too now we're not actually in the situation! I'd like to think I would have said "Can you put some trousers on please?" at least! I think I was half in disbelief and half scared of his reaction! Plus we thought as they'd finished and paid before our mains came that they'd be leaving soon, they didn't have drinks.

nocoolnamesleft I think you have it grin

Walkingdeadfangirl Mon 18-Mar-19 01:08:15

As soon as you saw him semi naked why didn't you move table or just stand up and leave? I dont get the attitude of suffering in silence and then futilely complaining after its all over. You choose to put up with his behaviour.

PyongyangKipperbang Mon 18-Mar-19 01:09:31

Sounds like she was being paid to indulge his fetish and part of it was him getting off on an outraged reaction from you. As you didnt give him one (no pun intended!) he hopefully had quite a boring night.

Its a hell of a risky thing to do though, pick the wrong place and the police would be the least of your worries. If he had tried that in my place he would have been frogmarched into the car park by my regulars and they would probably have kept his trousers grin

ReanimatedSGB Mon 18-Mar-19 01:51:01

Well, if you couldn't see his willy then he wasn't breaking the law WRT indecent exposure. He sounds like a wierdo, but being weird is not a crime.

notangelinajolie Mon 18-Mar-19 02:30:31

What a wierdo. Do you think he had a hidden camera? Maybe he was some kind of vlogger. Look out for it on YouTube.

snitzelvoncrumb Mon 18-Mar-19 02:33:43

It sounds like he has a fetish or was attention seeking. He must be so disappointed he didn't get one.
The idiot should have been asked to leave, sometimes it's best to just find another restaurant.

Tinkerbell456 Mon 18-Mar-19 02:34:37

How bizarre!

Monty27 Mon 18-Mar-19 02:38:50

What country do you live in and was the aircon working?

NumbersStation Mon 18-Mar-19 02:40:27

I'd have been very tempted to stagger drunkenly about with a pint and slosh it all over the trousers on the chair.

You might not have seen a willy but you did see a colossal knob.

LikeDolphinsCanSwim Mon 18-Mar-19 02:55:57

Sounds like he was trying to get a reaction. The best way to deal with that is to carry on with your evening and completely ignore.

Maybe he saw Emily O’Connor all over the media and thought it was an easy way to a TV appearance.

EleanorAbernathy Mon 18-Mar-19 22:19:24

Pyongyang that's what we suspected.

We've found an email address for the restaurant and DH has emailed them, the food is actually amazing and we'd quite like to keep going there, just not if this man becomes a regular!

Jellyonawonkyplate Tue 19-Mar-19 14:27:33

You might not have seen a willy but you did see a colossal knob.

gringringrin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: