Talk

Advanced search

I am SKELETOR!!

(103 Posts)
cinamogirl Sun 17-Mar-19 22:50:05

I am not being dramatic! (I promise )
I am a first time Mum. My son is nearly 12 months old. He is amazing and I can not remember life without him! My son is happy and healthy, as am I.
My AIBU is... (I am prepared not to get much sympathy) but AIBU about not being able to keep any weight on? I LOOK LIKE SKELETOR! I was a comfortable 9 stone (slim yet curvy for my 5"2 height).
Since I have stopped expressing for my son (time in NICU) I just can't keep the weight on? I am down to 7 something stones (I don't want to admit how small I am) and I just feel... all bones?
I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't snack much (childhood values) and I don't drink alcohol. The pounds are falling off of me and I long for my womanly curves!
I need some advice? I look like a prepubescent teen blush
It's difficult to talk about in RL because I understand I am in the minority with new Mums. I just want my boobs back!! grin TIA x

Justmuddlingalong Sun 17-Mar-19 22:51:37

I'd be making an appointment with the doctor.

VelvetPineapple Sun 17-Mar-19 22:53:21

I am praying this also happens to me when I stop breastfeeding. I can’t seem to lose any weight because of the hormones, no matter how little I eat sad

Hotterthanahotthing Sun 17-Mar-19 22:55:25

Go to your Go.Loosing lots of weight if you are eating well is not normal.
Congratulations on your baby though.

MoseShrute Sun 17-Mar-19 22:55:31

Just eat bigger portions, full fat everything, and start having a few high calorie snacks eg peanuts....easy

GreenLabels Sun 17-Mar-19 22:57:27

Speaking as a GP, I would want to see a patient in this situation. Make an appointment as soon as you can.

Moanymoaner123 Sun 17-Mar-19 22:57:37

I would also be going to the doctor if the weight loss has been rapid and you aren't breastfeeding. I'm 5'5" and was 7.5 stone before I had DD, I certainly didn't look like skeletor so I think your perception may be a little off as you are three inches shorter than me.

StephsCaddy Sun 17-Mar-19 22:58:40

You need to get yourself checked out at the doctors. Could be an over active thyroid.

cinamogirl Sun 17-Mar-19 23:00:23

Thank you for your speedy responses. I don't feel like I need to see a doctor? (I feel fab in myself... we just hate the way I look confused) I just feel like I am burning too much energy (got to love a crawling baby!) and not putting enough energy (food) in! I guess I need healthy, quick to eat, easy food ideas? X

cinamogirl Sun 17-Mar-19 23:05:56

Moanymoaner - I understand that I am shorter than you, but my bones are sticking out and it worry's me. Maybe our bodies are different? Let's not compare x

CandiedSkulls Sun 17-Mar-19 23:06:32

Definitely go see your GP. I'm the same height as you and weigh a little under 6 stone but I don't look like skeletal at all.

It could just be that you need some guidance towards a healthy diet (eating breakfast, lunch and dinner is relatively meaningless if you're eating a tiny amount at each), but your doctor is best placed to help.

cinamogirl Sun 17-Mar-19 23:09:07

Oh god, so many responses telling me to see my GP. I am getting a bit worried now 😥

Bambamber Sun 17-Mar-19 23:11:09

I agree with pp about going to see your GP. One thing to consider is thyroid issues aren't uncommon post partum. You may feel fine, but it's obviously of concern to you

cinamogirl Sun 17-Mar-19 23:12:26

I am very 'boney' around my boob area if that helps? I would love some constructive advice smile

Singlenotsingle Sun 17-Mar-19 23:12:41

It's no good coming on here for advice, OP, if you then say, "I don't want to do that...". There can be all sorts of reasons for unexplained weight loss. Overactive thyroid? Or something more serious... You . just need to rule out any serious medical problem first

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 17-Mar-19 23:12:45

Rapid unexplained weight loss is a symptom that needs to be checked out and not ignored. It could be thyroid issues or other things. Please do go and see your GP.

Singlenotsingle Sun 17-Mar-19 23:13:10

Go and see the doctor

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 17-Mar-19 23:14:43

Are you eating full fat everything, things like peanut butter, cream cheese etc? If you won't snack, can you have a dessert with each meal?

cinamogirl Sun 17-Mar-19 23:18:51

Thank you all for your help. Maybe I was a bit too blase about my weight loss? I was hoping for more ideas of how to put on weight with a hectic baby but clearly I worded my original post wrong? Honestly I am all bones, I'm too skinny... and it's in my nature to down play things... so this was a big step for me x

Arriettyborrower Sun 17-Mar-19 23:22:04

I’d guess that you have an overactive thyroid, easily treated, definitely see your GP but don’t worry.

CandiedSkulls Sun 17-Mar-19 23:24:13

The only way to put on weight is to eat more than you expend. Really, the best thing to do is to see your GP to check that there aren't any underlying issues. Like Bambamber said, thyroid issues are not uncommon post partum.

MrsMozartMkII Sun 17-Mar-19 23:27:21

No fret lass.

Go see your GP.

If it's not a health thing then, add other PPs have said, get thee to the full fat range of everything and some decent nuts.

cinamogirl Sun 17-Mar-19 23:32:30

Thank you for the resent positive posts ladies smile I wish I could send you a picture of my 'skeletor-ness' but I don't want to put myself. Honestly, I look horrible. I just need to add some lbs!!

cinamogirl Sun 17-Mar-19 23:32:53

*out myself

CandiedSkulls Sun 17-Mar-19 23:35:38

Honestly, you probably don't look nearly as bad as you think you do. Try not to worry about appearances too much! Get yourself on a decent weight gain regime if that's what you want, see the GP to make sure nothing is wrong, and enjoy your son! flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »